Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline United Front Games are dead (Sleeping Dogs devs)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sleeping Dogs developer United Front Games has closed its doors, a source close to the studio tells GameSpot. The Vancouver-based studio was in the midst of developing Smash + Grab, an Early Access game on Steam that featured players ransacking stores and looting items.

As of now, Smash + Grab can not be purchased on Steam. It was free this past weekend as part of a promotion on Steam, where players could pay a discounted price of $17 to keep playing after Sunday.

It's unclear what will happen to Smash + Grab and its players now that it's no longer for sale. We've contacted United Front and will keep you updated as we hear back about the state of the game.

United Front Games was founded in 2007. Its first title was ModNation Racers, a PS3-exclusive kart racing game that had a large focus on user-generated content. The studio went on to develop 2012's Sleeping Dogs, which it became best known for, before working on LittleBigPlanet Karting, several port projects, and the cancelled Triad Wars. Its latest title Smash + Grab released in Early Access on September 27.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sleeping-dogs-developer-shuts-down-latest-game-no-/1100-6444545
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sleeping-dogs-developer-shuts-down-latest-game-no-/1100-6444545
Feel super sorry for it.

Fuck square enix for treating UFG like shit.

Instead of real sequel, they made then make f2p shit. When they realize the fad is gone, they shut it down.
After that, they made smash and grab. Then for no reasoncthey shut everythin down.

Square enix is really a step more into being the next konami/EA/capcom

Last edited by a moderator:

Astral Rag

Arcane
More like CASH+GRAB, amirite.

As of now, Smash + Grab can not be purchased on Steam. It was free this past weekend as part of a promotion on Steam, where players could pay a discounted price of $17 to keep playing after Sunday.

:lol:

Last edited:

Martius

Liturgist
I hope Steam makes Squenix refund anyone who bought it.
More like studio itself since it was self-published title. Too bad but I wonder what exactly happened. I know Square wanted to make more online games hence Traid Wars but among other that was canceled. I thought they will be able at least finish their own game. Maybe they had to cancel other project which we are not even aware of?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Ah, I thought it was published by SE. That makes for quite a problem. It will be interesting to see how they handle it, considering they likely won't have the assets and capital to refund buyers.

tormund

Arcane
First game was surprise hit, they could've built a franchise on it and maybe end up with their own respectable GTA-rival series, instead of going for F2P MP crap at a time when, as was pointed out, fad was already dying out outside of few subgenres.

Square just makes the most inane and dumbest of decisions as far as their Western-developed titles are concerned...

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Instead of real sequel, they made then make f2p shit. When they realize the fad is gone, they shut it down.
After that, they made smash and grab. Then for no reasoncthey shut everythin down.

I doubt they seriously wanted to make Triad Wars and it was probably a case of being unable to secure funding for their next big project. Still sucks either way.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
square obviously forced them.

the retards at square at the time think f2p games with microtransaction is the future. i heard jim sterling even heard the rumor that they gonna make deus ex a multyiplayer online too.

then they realize they CAN MAKE A FULL PRICED 60 DOLLARS GAME while STILL CHARGING FOR MICROTRANSACTION

fuck square and they unrealistic expectations for new ips as well their micro-transactions bullshit. :rage:

i loved driving a bus and listening to that gibberish

Don Peste

Arcane
This is a great opportunity for Deep Silver to buy the IP, cancel that shit Agents of Mayhem before it explodes on their face, and develop SAINTS ROW vs SLEEPING DOGS.

Astral Rag

Arcane
For all its flaws, Sleeping Dogs was still p. fun and it had a setting more interesting than any GTA game to date.

It's an ok game but I don't see what's so interesting about the setting, it seemed very generic too me and it had none of that GTA humor either.

Also, Sleeping Dongs has one of the most boring driving models ever conceived.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For all its flaws, Sleeping Dogs was still p. fun and it had a setting more interesting than any GTA game to date.

It's an ok game but I don't see what's so interesting about the setting, it seemed very generic too me and it had none of that GTA humor either.
Hong Kong as a setting is way underused in games, so that's one for starters. It looked good and different from the boring american cities. The style was not humorous, instead more in line with movies like Infernal Affairs, which is also infinitely better than the GTA stories. Come on, it is a kung fu game in Hong Kong, lot of us like this style and location.

It was a clean, arcade driving modell, like the early GTAs, which is a lot better than the jellyfish modell of GTA4.

It was a clean, arcade driving modell, like the early GTAs, which is a lot better than the jellyfish modell of GTA4.

That's just your shit taste talking. Driving models in GTA IV and V are infinitely more fun than crap like in Sleeping Dogs, Watch Dogs or Saints Row.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That's just your shit taste talking. Driving models in GTA IV and V are infinitely more fun than crap like in Sleeping Dogs, Watch Dogs or Saints Row.
I respect your opinion. I can't argue about what do you find fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom