Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity vs Unreal

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Oh yeah im the cancer
btw, that awesome link you sent me has a whooping amount of 4 tutorials from 4 years ago - amazing.
You know what? maybe i spoke too soon, this is just so much! I will jump right back into cryengine.
Me and my SJW soap box are eager to take use of this privilege no one could ever afford before.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh yeah im the cancer
btw, that awesome link you sent me has a whooping amount of 4 tutorials from 4 years ago - amazing.
You know what? maybe i spoke too soon, this is just so much! I will jump right back into cryengine.
Me and my SJW soap box are eager to take use of this privilege no one could ever afford before.

Thanks for cherry picking without addressing the point.

Why is CryEngine beholden to supplying you tutorials when it's released free of charge and royalty free as an open source product?
Are you a software developer or a youtube leech.

EDIT

Farage

Arcane
Patron
I've spent 2 years learning a bunch of fucking softwares that i currently use to make games - and others that i don't anymore.
And the latter is the reason why i want to be very careful to where i thread, as i don't want to spend another 2 years learning something that sucks major dick.
Besides, i've already explained that my decision is more to the personal side, as the only reason why i was leaving Unity was because of $$$$ and not because it wasn't fulfilling my needs (quite the contrary actually)
Look, sorry that i got salty, but it is very simple: if Unity does an excellent job in what i need, why should i change?

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
I'm learning Unity but is very slow on my PC. Scripting takes ages when Visual studio compiles the code. Project with one script has 1GB size. Why is that?

J1M

Arcane
The primary function of Unity is to serve advertisements across all mobile platforms. It can also render some graphics for a game.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
The primary function of Unity is to serve advertisements across all mobile platforms. It can also render some graphics for a game.
Which engine should I choose? I understand scripting in Unity but I could not understand it in Unreal.

J1M

Arcane
Which engine should I choose? I understand scripting in Unity but I could not understand it in Unreal.
Depends on your project and the types of technical problems you like dealing with. I like Godot for personal projects.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I'm learning Unity but is very slow on my PC. Scripting takes ages when Visual studio compiles the code. Project with one script has 1GB size. Why is that?
What are your specs?

I'd suggest switching to an older version that's not bloated to hell and back. 2019 is probably the most balanced in terms of performance and features.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
What are your specs?

I'd suggest switching to an older version that's not bloated to hell and back. 2019 is probably the most balanced in terms of performance and features.
I have 6core CPU, 1060GTX 8GB. I used Unity 2022LTS with HDRP. Working with it's cumbersome and very time consuming.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
What are your specs?

I have 6core CPU, 1060GTX 8GB. I used Unity 2022LTS with HDRP. Working with it's cumbersome and very time consuming.
Never used 2022 but I'm using 2021 and 2019 for different projects and 2021 feels *much* slower, and I've heard complaints that 2022 is even slower.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
Why doesn't modern game engines have optimization by default ? Why doesn't they standardize the process of making a game so that memory leaks, weird physics and collisions falls, graphic glitches, ... are predetermined and in control.

Never used 2022 but I'm using 2021 and 2019 for different projects and 2021 feels *much* slower, and I've heard complaints that 2022 is even slower.
I tried 2022 and is even slower. I'm now not surprised how Pillars of Eternity turned out that way.
Ram,hdd/ssd?
16GB, SSD but not newer one.

J1M

Arcane
Why doesn't modern game engines have optimization by default ? Why doesn't they standardize the process of making a game so that memory leaks, weird physics and collisions falls, graphic glitches, ... are predetermined and in control.

I tried 2022 and is even slower. I'm now not surprised how Pillars of Eternity turned out that way.
Ram,hdd/ssd?
16GB, SSD but not newer one.
Because game design and level design are real jobs that require expertise and we are talking about rendering a 4k image in 10 milliseconds every 10 milliseconds while also processing everything else (simulation, AI, network synchronization, game rules, etc)

Your question is basically: "why can't someone prevent people with no experience from asking the computer to do too much?"

Unity is an awesome component based engine with some rough edges and a pretty good business model.

Unreal is a more powerful engine which encourages worse design by being monolithic (which is why so many Unreal games are broken messes), a worse business model, and made by one of the worst companies in the industry.

I'll stick to Unity for now. The cutting-edge graphics of Unreal aren't worth it to me.

If you knew anything about game design you'd know the answer to this question.

There's no "one size fits all" solution for physics, or any other core game feature. The only option is to give you the tools to make it work for your particular game engine. Idiots will be idiots and break things, but there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Also, unless you literally go out of your way to enable unsafe code, it's literally impossible to get a memory leak in a Unity game. Even if you do something stupid like initialise and hold on to a bunch of references, they will eventually get cleaned up, which for any worthwhile game design will be on scene change.

I have used multiple versions for years and they all seem about the same. Unity is quite fast in general as long as you use assembly definitions properly and don't overbloat your project with 10 billion dependencies.

The big issue with Unity at the moment is they encourage people to use the package manager to get LOTS of extra packages. Each one of them bloats your project and makes it slower.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom