Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Using joysticks / gamepads like a PRO - tutorial

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Key ghosting is a (horrible) thing for those games.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
And a separate thing: what about 3D platformers like Crash, Spyro, Mario, Jak, Ratchet, Sly and many more, which require analog controls? Keyboard is enough as well? What about 3D action-platforming-brawler games like Soul Reaver, 3D Castlevanias, Derpsiders, etc.?
Or maybe you hibernated through last ~15 years and somehow skipped Mario 64 and games that came after it?

Yes... :notsureifserious:

spekkio

Arcane
Elaborate, 'cuz evidently I'm not such an elite individual as yourself.

abija

Prophet
keyboard is superior to dpad because you can use 4 fingers and be faster/more precise

proper 3d - keyboard + mouse
shit 3d - either keyboard or arcade stick works better than gamepad
analogue movement is used only for gimmicks because the sticks are terrible at precision

You need to deliberately fuck up the control scheme for other devices in order for the gamepad to be better (ex: blaze rush).

spekkio

Arcane
keyboard is superior to dpad because you can use 4 fingers and be faster/more precise
Wait, you play platformers that require pressing all 4 directional buttons at the same time? Interesting. So far I've only heard of games that require 2, which leads to Saturn d-pad > Playstation d-pad statement (combos in SF games, etc.). Well, you learn something new every day.

proper 3d - keyboard + mouse
If by "proper 3d" you mean 3D game with crosshair aiming, then sure. But 3D brawlers / platformers? You can move up/down in many of them, so aren't they "proper 3d" as well? If not - and a game is "proper 3d" only of it really uses the Y axis for something relevant (except aiming), then System Shock, Alien vs. Predator and Duke 3D are "proper 3D", while SS2 and Quake aren't. Fuck, maybe only Descent is "proper 3d"? :lol:

shit 3d - either keyboard or arcade stick works better than gamepad
KB? Really? Using keyboard for aiming in Y axis? No analog movement?
And what's so great about arcade stick? You do know that real "arcade sticks" are digital, not analog? Less buttons, no analog movement - sounds great. Of course, analog joystics are great for flight sims and digital heavy-duty digital joystics are great for arcade games, but stating that "joysticks >>> gamepads"? :roll:

analogue movement is used only for gimmicks because the sticks are terrible at precision
Yeah, sure. I've played my share of 3D games so I know that controlling movement speed via analog stick is certainly a "gimmick". :roll: (Some) analog joysticks are more precise OFC, but... Isn't analog control of your airplane / ship just a gimmick too? Is it really that important? Your logic at work...

:smug:

You need to deliberately fuck up the control scheme for other devices in order for the gamepad to be better.
I don't like "A" so "A" is shit, and I'm an elite individual by not liking "A".

Grow the fuck up.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Gamepads are best for games built around them. Plain and simple.

Fighting games, Racing games, Platformers, JRPGs with menu-based interfaces, STGs, Arcade Sims (Ace Combat), etc. I'm sure there are games in these genres that can work with a KB&M, but if you're playing a console port or emulating, a gamepad is usually the way to go. Other games can work well too, I recall Descent being very playable with a 360 controller with the right source port.

I don't think there's any point to arguing anyway, PC is all about choices. Plenty of people rocked a joystick in the C64 days.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
No fucking retards PC is not about choices,it's about design and freedom.Fuck all platformers no one cares about them.Any UI that is designed around controller is pure cancer and still better played with mouse,because you don't have to push down/up 15 times to reach something that takes one click with the mouse.Clunky radial menus instead of clicks and key numbers,retarded list inventories and shit goes on and on.

Joystick is not the same as gamepad,no one design around them anymore.It's on the level of wheels ,nice peripheral that has a niche and that's it.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No fucking retards PC is not about choices,it's about design and freedom.Fuck all platformers no one cares about them.Any UI that is designed around controller is pure cancer and still better played with mouse,because you don't have to push down/up 15 times to reach something that takes one click with the mouse.Clunky radial menus instead of clicks and key numbers,retarded list inventories and shit goes on and on.

Joystick is not the same as gamepad,no one design around them anymore.It on the level of wheels ,nice peripheral that has a niche and that's it.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/freedom
Definition of FREEDOM
: the quality or state of being free: as

a : the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action

Sjukob

Arcane
I always thought that gamepads were created for people who have crab claws instead of hands . You know , so they can insert a gamepad in them and press all buttonts at once .

spekkio

Arcane
No fucking retards PC is not about choices,it's about design and freedom.
The fuck? There was a period when PC games were experimental and ground-breaking. But it's p. much gone.
You can have great game design on consoles:

As for the freedom, I'm not sure about your definition.
Freedom for devs to make innovative games? Well, Snes, PS1 and PSP had their share of innovative games.
Freedom in player actions? PC went from Elite to GTA in this aspect. Freedom to make AWESOME happen. Furry mods for Skyrim. Glorious PC master race indeed. :roll:
Or maybe it's freedom to use any peripheral you want? Lake a gamepad, for example?

Fuck all platformers no one cares about them.
"I don't play mouse-controlled PC strategy games, therefore PCs, strategy games and mouse-control are shit."

:greatjob:

Any UI that is designed around controller is pure cancer and still better played with mouse,because you don't have to push down/up 15 times to reach something that takes one click with the mouse.
Pad-oriented consolitis cancer:

PWONSyp.jpg

Colony_Wars-2.png

Glorious PC mouse-driven GUI design:

n1qwys.jpg

the-witcher-enchanced-edition-directors-cut-inventory.jpg

UI.jpg

Holy shit! Maybe it's just about shit UIs and good UI and not the PC being teh awesome. :?

Joystick is not the same as gamepad,no one design around them anymore
I think both hardcoer arcade fags (SHMUPS) and flight/space sim fags still do.

Nice peripheral that has a niche and that's it.
Well, PC is certainly winning in the area of niche peripherals, my son:

Are+ya+winning+son+the+future+is+here+subscribe+if+you_513702_5666893.jpg

:lol:

tl;dr

Go back to your basement, kid.

I always thought that gamepads were created for people who have crab claws instead of hands . You know , so they can insert a gamepad in them and press all buttonts at once.
Thanks for sharing, bro. But maybe try posting something less pointless next time. "Gamepads" go waaay back in "computer gaming":

img_0740.jpg

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This thread is great. It collects all those idiots who have no clue about how do joysticks and gamepads work in one place. Now if only there was a way to shoot them into the sun.

spekkio

Arcane
It's funny (?) and very typical for the 'Dex: I made a thread about making joysticks and gamepads work, using my gamepad as an example. What I got was a lot of people posting "Gamepads sux, PC FTW!!1!". Well... it can be discussed, but what does it have to do with anything? :? You are teh elite, I got it. :lol:

It's like making a thread about anal sex and ending up with edgy christians threatening homosexuals with hell. I mean - both subjects are somehow related, but it looks like somebody has some Freudian shit going on... Or maybe simply cannot read. :(

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny (?) and very typical for the 'Dex: I made a thread about making joysticks and gamepads work, using my gamepad as an example. What I got was a lot of people posting "Gamepads sux, PC FTW!!1!". Well... it can be discussed, but what does it have to do with anything? :? You are teh elite, I got it. :lol:

It's like making a thread about anal sex and ending up with edgy christians threatening homosexuals with hell. I mean - both subjects are somehow related, but it looks like somebody has some Freudian shit going on... Or maybe simply cannot read. :(
Most people probably have some PC-minority complex. Everything what is slightly related to consoles are LOLsucks, even if it is only a gamepad. What is funny that gamepads were always available for computers, even before consoles became popular.

abija

Prophet
Wait, you play platformers that require pressing all 4 directional buttons at the same time? Interesting. So far I've only heard of games that require 2, which leads to Saturn d-pad > Playstation d-pad statement (combos in SF games, etc.). Well, you learn something new every day.
Who said anything about "at the same time"? Whenever you need to change directions in quick succession you're much faster using 4 fingers than your thumb. Hell the combos you brought up (even though fighting games are not platformers) are executed a lot faster and 100% precise on a keyboard.

By proper 3D I meant "+mlook" behavior instead of the autistic shit some designers manage to implement.

Yeah, sure. I've played my share of 3D games so I know that controlling movement speed via analog stick is certainly a "gimmick". :roll: (Some) analog joysticks are more precise OFC, but... Isn't analog control of your airplane / ship just a gimmick too? Is it really that important? Your logic at work...
We were talking about platformers right? Not like anyone sane would play simulators on a gamepad...
I don't remember any games where more than 2 speeds mattered and that's handled by something like a shift modifier without issue..

I don't like "A" so "A" is shit, and I'm an elite individual by not liking "A".

Grow the fuck up.
I meant different control scheme between gamepad and keyboard. I even gave an example, yet you proceed to shit talk without bothering to check what it was.

Also, I enjoy gamepads for what they are. I just don't delude myself they are more than the lowest common denominator of control devices.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Whenever you need to change directions in quick succession you're much faster using 4 fingers than your thumb
Some people would disagree with you. By your logic, these Japanese arcade beat' em up tournaments would've been easily won just by using KB to "execute combos a lot faster and 100% precise". :?

How about this:

large-quasicon.jpg

By proper 3D I meant "+mlook" behavior instead of the autistic shit some designers manage to implement.
OK. But that's not any "proper 3d" but simply FPS M+K control scheme. The best way to control a FPS game.

Not like anyone sane would play simulators on a gamepad...
5HRkLAn.png

flr7kId.png

So far so good. I wouldn't probably stand a chance against skilled human player with a joystick, but that's more because I still suck at the game, not the control device.

I rememeber some people (both keyboardfags and joyfags) having problems with my Archimedean Dynasty mod (baaaw, too difficult). I had zero problems playing the game with gamepad.

You need to deliberately fuck up the control scheme for other devices in order for the gamepad to be better (ex: blaze rush).
"Devs are dumbing down their games, it's all gamepads fault. And consoles."
And maybe shared multiplayer for both console and PC versions is to blame? For example, I think it's clear where Blizzard is going here (same control method):

31504e11-3b5f-4264-ac38-c987838ec88f.jpeg

latest

I enjoy gamepads for what they are. I just don't delude myself they are more than the lowest common denominator of control devices.
Much better than KB for many games. If you don't use them for such games, fine. But turning your preference:

Gamepads aren't optimal for anything
Into some general rule? :roll:
What Siveon wrote. They are optimal for many games. Picking KB over pad in old Resident Evil (RER1 and 2 work great with M+K), Tekken, Sould Reaver or Zelda is IMO retarded.

I don't remember any games where more than 2 speeds mattered and that's handled by something like a shift modifier without issue...
Good old Zelda - OoT had 3 speeds AFAIR. Plus there's movement acceleration, used precisely for analog pads / joysticks. That's why you have to disable mouse acceleration in shitty PC ports (aiming). Good luck with your Shift there.

spekkio

Arcane
Kinda-related read about dumbing-down being caused by consoles and gamepads. Looking for Starcraft 2 reviews on mobygames wasn't the best idea...

mobygames said:
The Good

It's a love story. Yup, it's a love story with memorable dramatic scenes and brilliant execution in both storytelling and gameplay. The game continues where the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty ended and Kerrigan was finally back to being a human... well, more or less. Her cool zerg hair and certain powers were still present, but she was no longer the Queen of Blades. Things turn for the worse, and believing that Jim Raynor died, any though of her settling down with her current status was flushed down the toilet and she was back on the course of vengeance and regaining her powers. And boy, how well was all that executed. The story. The story is simply sublime and this add-on makes a perfect balance of not bugging you with key story dialogues during gameplay which would be unnoticed during your concentration on the gameplay.

Now the gameplay, that one is second only to the story. Kerrigan stars as a slightly-stronger-than-regular-unit hero character, and over time becomes so powerful you can level bases with her alone. Don't worry, it was all done right and nicely balanced. You obviously cannot just go in the middle of enemy base or attack alone and hope to survive, but you can prod and strike from the distance and occasionally dash right into the heart of the enemy as long as you keep track on your health bar and have a few regular units to distract the enemy and aid you in your combat as your special powers too need time to recharge, although they do recharge much faster than your health.

Level are very versatile and you'll be surprised with ares and creatures you'll meet. And if you think you've seen it all by playing the Terrans in the first part of the trilogy, you've got it all wrong. There's plenty of new units and upgrade system is great to work with. Your swarm evolution can be ticked in a wanted direction, but once you select the strain you want there's no going back and changing it as you like. That is really great, imho, as having too many options can only be distracting. Dialogues with your comrades and lieutenants during mission briefings are also very interesting and overall level of details on Kerrigan, in any form she currently is is simply stunning.

She is drop dead gorgeous, even more than on the Brood War splash screen. Exotic to the max and Tricia Helfer's voice works just like a charm. While in-game soundtrack is on the level, I cannot think of a tune that would stand out, but the score in the cutscenes is really great and emphasizes every situation and dialogue perfectly, far surpassing those in Wings of Liberty, but that might be more to the fact the story itself has much better premise as it combines love, compassion, combat, brutality and vengeance.

Fucking gamepads, mang.

:bravo:

Severian Silk

BROs, how about a nice cup of tl;dr ? :obviously:

Advanced options (button / axis remapping, deadzone) for all types of joysticks / gamepads

In my case it's good old Dual Shock 2 gamepad for Playstation 2 (2 x 2axis a-stick, 10 buttons, 4-directional d-pad):

0kZosZd.jpg

Plus simple PS2 -> USB adapter (no Win7 drivers for this bitch):

ibavaVa.jpg

So, you have some simple gamepad, with close to zero configuration options (cheap shit, no drivers for newshit OS):

KZyKo7k.png

5t2mdUi.png

Yet you want to change some of its options? Well, it's possible...

A) Gamepad is DirectInput only, game is Xinput only

You will need an XInput emulator, preferably x360ce. Newest versions require .NET 3.5 or .NET 4.6.
Extract it to the game's .exe directory and launch. You'll get this:

Uz7qtef.png

Create the dll (some old games require different type / name of dll - more on this later). You can check if your pad is in the Internet database:

438ItrM.png

But most likely you'll have to configure it manually.

Before:

gyTVWgD.png

After:

612zTh3.png

You can map buttons in any way you want, set deadzone, sensitivity, etc., etc.:

fwPdR8L.png

If your game requires older/newer version of XInput .dll, there's special section for that:

H9AuvsS.png

That is all.

:mca:

B) Gamepad is DirectInput or Xinput, game is DOS-only

You'll have to use DOSBox. :obviously:

All versions of DOSBox have inbuilt Mapper, accessed by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+F1:

uKUCPbL.png

But first, enable joystick emulation in dosbox.ini:
Code:
[joystick]
# joysticktype: Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,
#               2axis (supports two joysticks),
#               4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),
#               4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),
#               fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).
#               none disables joystick emulation.
#               auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).
#               (Remember to reset dosbox's mapperfile if you saved it earlier)
#               Possible values: auto, 2axis, 4axis, 4axis_2, fcs, ch, none.
#        timed: enable timed intervals for axis. Experiment with this option, if your joystick drifts (away).
#     autofire: continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.
#       swap34: swap the 3rd and the 4th axis. can be useful for certain joysticks.
#   buttonwrap: enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.
joysticktype=auto
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false
PROTIP

If you want to use exclusive hat instructions (game supports joystick's hat and certain events ingame can be done ONLY by using the hat), switch to:
Code:
joysticktype=fcs
This will enable direct hat emulation:

oRULAdh.png

This is not required if you want to use d-pad / hat to perform some event which is done ingame by pressing any other input device than the hat.
For example, if you want to map your "d-pad up" gamepad button to the "a" keyboard input, any joystick type will do.

Now you have to map buttons to inputs.

For example: you want to use "a" keyboard input with the "d-pad up" button (pressing "d-pad up" leads to the game receiving the "a" keyboard input).

1) Click "a" on the Mapper's keyboard display:

dLRmLjD.png

As you can see, "Event: key_a" ("a" keypress ingame) is bound to "a" button on real keyboard ("BIND: Key a").

2) Click "Add" to add second binding to the event:

u61XAnn.png

3) Press "d-pad up" on gamepad:

8ZJEEfU.png

5pfcwIS.png

That is all. Repeat with other buttons / axes.

PROTIP

In most cases, you don't need most of "virtual joystick" settings. It's better to map gamepad binds to keyboard events.
For example, Archimedean Dynasty supports 2axis analogue joystick with four fire buttons:

BmwirDO.png

But what if you want to use these buttons to perform some other actions / use more buttons? Well:

1) Remove ALL "virtual joystick" binds in Mapper, except the analogue movement (Axis 1/2: X+ X- Y+ Y-):

50VLMIU.png

In case of AD, it boils down to removing all "Fire" buttons (1-4), since 2nd axis isn't supported anyway. Like this:

lhWowuq.png

O5TK50M.png

2) Now add gamepad binds to any virtual keyboard / joystick events you want.

My Archimedean Dynasty input:

4PEbMPN.png

BmwirDO.png

Og1GRf8.png

Looks like this on my gamepad:

8XUq9UV.jpg

Code:
left a-stick: analogue joystick (ship's direction) [only thing controlled by analogue "virtual joystick" events]
triangle: q (afterburner)
square: enter (next torpedo)
circle: tab (fire torpedo)
cross: space (fire gun)
R1: a (max acceleration)
R2: z (max deceleration)
L1: l (lock reticle object)
L2: u (lock nearest enemy)
Select: t (lock next sensored object)
Start: p (pause)
d-pad up: n (next navpoint)
d-pad down: alt+n (lock navpoint)
d-pad left: g (lock next incoming torpedo)
d-pad right: j (lock next attacker)
right a-stick up: keypad 1 (target chase view)
right a-stick down: keypad 0 (player chase view)
right a-stick left: keypad 7 (target camera)
right a-stick right: keypad 5 (player camera)

This part:
Code:
d-pad down: alt+n (lock navpoint)
requires two events ("left alt" & "n") bound to one bind (real gamepad's d-pad down):

mLj5zOZ.png

DvskmxT.png

This way, pressing "d-pad down" will result in pressing "alt+n" on virtual keyboard.

As you can see, I can control the game almost exclusively via gamepad...

DWI_1.png

But there's one problem with regular DOSBox... No fucking deadzone!

:rage:

This is fucking outrage. In case of many games (X-wing for example) this leads to ship drifting away slightly - virtual joystick is too sensitive / real gamepad is too loose and you can do shit about it (enabling timed intervals won't help):

But there's a solution!

Just grab a special build of DOSBox from David Walter Development page:

DosBox DWD

It has some audio fixes for Terra Nova and Wizardry 6&7, but the most important thing is a joystick deadzone patch.
Just set your preferred deadzone in dosbox.conf:
Code:
[joystick]
#     deadzone: specify the percentage of motion to ignore. Use 100 for a fake digital effect.
deadzone=5
From my experience, even 5% of deadzone is enough to fix the drifting in X-wing.

BTW, my X-wing gamepad input looks like this:

8XUq9UV.jpg

Code:
left a-stick: analogue joystick (ship's direction) [controlled by analogue "virtual joystick" events]
triangle: x (firing settings)
square: w (weapon settings)
circle: ctrl (keep pressed and use left a-stick to roll)
cross: fire [controlled by "virtual joystick" event]
L1: r (target nearest enemy)
L2: x (previous target)
R1: s (shield settings)
R2: t (next target)
Select: shift+a (assign target to wingmen)
Start: p (pause)
d-pad up: i (identification / targeting mode)
d-pad down: . (cockpit on/off)
d-pad left: f9 (laser recharge rate)
d-pad right: f10 (shield recharge rate)
right a-stick up: ; (shield energy to lasers)
right a-stick down: ' (laser energy to shields)
right a-stick left: - (decrease throttle)
right a-stick right: + (increase throttle)
DWI_1.png

Only one thing left...

C) Gamepad is DirectInput or Xinput, game is Windows only

Well, now shit gets tricky... You will need two things, this:

vJoy

vJoy is a device driver that bridges the gap between any device that is not a joystick and an application that requires a joystick
So, it's basically a framework for virtual joystick.

And also this:

Universal Joystick Remapper

- Uses the free open source app vJoy to create a virtual joystick
- Configure UJR to tell it which physical joystick axis/button controls which axis/button of the virtual joystick - each axis and button of the virtual stick can be mapped to a different physical joystick
So, it's a virtual joystick.

How does it work? Well, when using real joystick / gamepad, stuff works like this:

Code:
hardware (pad) -> API (DirectInput / XInput) -> software (game)

And when using the above programs, it changes to something like this:

Code:
hardware (pad) -> API (DirectInput / XInput) -> wrapper (vJoy + UJR) -> software (game)

Or something. :roll:

Anyway:

1) Install vJoy. You will end up with second joystick:

SbLKknC.png

2) Run "Configure vJoy" app. Enable required axes, buttons and hats:

hXeirvQ.png

Consult your real gamepad properties to learn what should be enabled:

5t2mdUi.png

Virtual pad's properties should look p. much the same as your real one's:

i6olaZM.png

PROTIP

Experiment with different axes / hats in case of trouble (application doesn't recognize it). I had to use Continuous hat to make it work.

2) Extract UJR somewhere convenient. It has to be running in the background to work. Run it. Configure all axes (+ deadzone, sensitivity, etc.):

QBwtLvQ.png

Buttons:

qRrHNTj.png

And hats:

h9dt0TK.png

You're pretty much done now. Just remember that now you have TWO gamepads, so you have to make sure that the game uses the proper one (virtual):

LoDS2iG.png

And not the physical one:

XQh3AoN.png

If the game doesn't have input device selection, you can fuck around with the default device in Win:

RgAOsFO.png

That allmost all. Except using normal / abnormal DOSBox.

:cry:

For example, I wanted to use Daum's DOSBox for X-wing. Daum's build has additional options like quicksaves, MT-32 support and more. But it doesn't have the "deadzone" patch.

:decline:

So...

D) Using vJoy with Daum's DOSBox

1) Prepare vJoy and UJR, make sure everything is configured (see above).

2) Modify dosbox.conf from:

Code:
joysticktype=auto

to:

Code:
joysticktype=4axis_2

With this option, DOSBox will recognize 2 gamepads, and use the second one.

3) Launch the Mapper. vJoy should now replace your physical joystick / gamepad automagically (as long as UJR works in the background):

OPgs3VG.png

If you still get the real gamepad as input device, you're doing sth wrong:

houUIaa.png

:killit:

Old binds (made with real gamepad) should work fine, as long as you mapped virtual buttons to corresponding real buttons (real button 1 = virtual button 1). If not, modify the bindings.

And that's p. much it:

4) Run the game:

:incline:

Thanks for (not) reading.

Good thread. Would brofist if I could.

abija

Prophet
Some people would disagree with you. By your logic, these Japanese arcade beat' em up tournaments would've been easily won just by using KB to "execute combos a lot faster and 100% precise". :?
1. That's a not a gamepad.
2. You're forced to play with what the arcade machines are released with, a lot of games being released earlier/only as arcade.
Also google hitbox arcade to enlighten yourself. For some games it's even considered too easy and taking skill out of the game.

Much better than KB for many games. If you don't use them for such games, fine. But turning your preference:
Into some general rule? :roll:
What Siveon wrote. They are optimal for many games. Picking KB over pad in old Resident Evil (RER1 and 2 work great with M+K), Tekken, Sould Reaver or Zelda is IMO retarded.
How exactly is gamepad better for Tekken? Do you even try to use your brain and analyze the control scheme or just because you first played those games on gamepad and it feels natural it means it's optimal?

Good old Zelda - OoT had 3 speeds AFAIR. Plus there's movement acceleration, used precisely for analog pads / joysticks. That's why you have to disable mouse acceleration in shitty PC ports (aiming). Good luck with your Shift there.
3 speeds means 2 different modifiers, big deal. You lost me at the movement acceleration into mouse acceleration... .

spekkio

Arcane
That's a not a gamepad.
Yeah. That's a digital joystick. It has digital stick as well. You wrote:

So d-pads in gamepads are haram, but d-sticks are kosher now?

:?

Looks similar to these pro-mice for l33t Quake players. Or this:

hqdefault.jpg

I bet you can't compete on decent level without such professional device. :lol:

How exactly is gamepad better for Tekken? Do you even try to use your brain and analyze the control scheme or just because you first played those games on gamepad and it feels natural it means it's optimal?
You mean this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Is easier to perform on KB than a gamepad? I'm not sure, but 'k. Looking forward to see all these KB Soul Calibur masters.

But what about all the other games I mentioned, which actually require analog stick - Tekken is the only fighting game I mentioned. You're so focused on the lone case of sperging fast combos in fighting games, that you're failing at proving your statements:

Keyboards shit on any gamepad as far as platformers go.
Gamepads aren't optimal for anything.
Analogue movement is used only for gimmicks because the sticks are terrible at precision
:?

3 speeds means 2 different modifiers, big deal.
I :salute: your KB commitment.

You lost me at the movement acceleration into mouse acceleration...
You can't emulate movement/aim acceleration (analog joysticks/sticks) with keyboard modifiers. You can use for example 0-33% / 33%-66% / 66%-100% keyboard modifiers (good luck with that BTW), but games using movement / aim acceleration would still feel weird as fuck IMO (how to emulate the speed of moving from one stick zone to the other?). But hey, you think fighting games are controlled better with keyboard than gamepad, so maybe it would feel great to you. :lol:

Most current popamole 3D shooters use such acceleration, which fuck up the mouse controls (if you can't disable it) - that's why I mentioned mouse acceleration.

abija

Prophet
You keep coming with weird examples trying to go keyboard vs analog stick when the original point was about dpad, especially the 4 button dpad from ps which makes it good for platformers.

Is easier to perform on KB than a gamepad? I'm not sure, but 'k. Looking forward to see all these KB Soul Calibur masters.
You are objectively retarded then.

But hey, you think fighting games are controlled better with keyboard than gamepad, so maybe it would feel great to you. :lol:
There are discussions about banning hitbox from fighting games without circular motions (like tekken and mk) because they are too good. Get your head out of your ass maybe.

spekkio

Arcane
abija said:
3 things about digital joysticks
So after trimming out all the bullshit you wrote, we ended up with: "For fighting games, dedicated joysticks are better than regular gamepads". Whoop-dee-fucking-doo, that's some groundbreaking discovery here. :roll:

As most of people posting here, it turns out you know shit about things other than the games you play (fighting games?). First you reduced all platformers to 2D ones ("keyboard roxx!"), before I reminded you about the 3D ones. Then you kept defending the keyboard as a perfect control device, only to finally change the subject to some dedicated joystick, made specially for fighting games. All this while posting such pearls of wisdom like the ones I quoted.

What a retard.

:lol:

Let's try again:

You keep coming with weird examples trying to go keyboard vs analog stick when the original point was about dpad, especially the 4 button dpad from ps.

"Original point":

TLDR: buy a logitech gamepad instead if you want to play both directinput and xinput.
Poster is an illiterate.
Keyboards shit on any gamepad as far as platformers go.
Even for the 2D ones, it is bullshit.
Gamepads aren't optimal for anything
Bullshit. Mentioned not only be me.
Now you flip-flopped to: "hitbox arcade is superior to dpad because you can use 4 fingers and be faster". :lol:
Bullshit, explained.
Multiplatform multiplayer game used as an example. :salute:
I don't remember any games where more than 2 speeds mattered.
I do.
And that's handled by something like a shift modifier without issue.
Now handle movement/aim acceleration, bitch.
You're forced to play with what the arcade machines are released with, a lot of games being released earlier/only as arcade.
Yup. Esp. in case of PC/Console-only games. Not to mention arcadefags were owning these games on original hardware without the need of specially made controllers. :lol:
How exactly is gamepad better for Tekken?
Yeah, sorry. Keyboard is. Ohnoes, you were talking about Hitbox Arcade from the beginning, you were simply misunderstood. :lol:

Read the things I quoted from your posts if you are still confused about the level of your retardation, I am done with you.
Pleasure to be doing the DISCUSSing with you..

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This thread is all over the place, with each side making making bat arguments for all the wrong reasons.

Yes, it is true, different peripherals are good for different things and it all depends on the game. Yes, it is also true that consolization is ruining PC games, since those games were made with mouse and keyboard in mind, where as console games are not burdened by a similar hassle, and are thus free to be what they have always been. Because of this it is also understandable why PC gamers are the ones who feel shortchanged by this trend of making games for both PC and consoles, where as console gamers may as well not give a shit.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
decline, decline never changes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom