Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vagante, perma-death love !

Adamaklas

Literate
Have you ever played this indie platformer, Vagante?
vagante1.png

Didn't find anywhere in the codex so there goes^^
It's on early access,
http://store.steampowered.com/app/323220/

It ain't actually roleplaying game.But it's tagged as crpg ,y'know.
This game is about fun with your friends or despair with your sad loneliness.
Up to 4 players can join ( keyboard / gamepad) in the same screen(platform), each player can choose between 4 classes, Knight, Mage(quite a few spells!),Rogue and ??? ( It looks like a frostwolf shaman, and it is something like a shaman) .

The game has a Leveling system, and with every level gained the player is awarded 1 skill to spent between the common to all classes atributes ( str, int , dex ..etc) and the class specific skills (eg, Rogue can pick between,Archery, daggers,shadow and acrobatics). As you progress through the game you will unlock various perks to choose one from.
vagante_3.png

So, the game is about running through various dungeons ( each time you pop into a random dungeon, there is no sequence) , avoiding deadly traps, falling boulders, and sharp spikes on the floor while killing mobs and bosses ,looting chests, and dying.
vagante-front-672x372.jpg

There are "many" items in the game which boosts your character ( They are actually the most vital part of surviving the game) that you can loot or buy! there are scrolls, potions, spellbooks, armors blah blah ! Most items picked are unidentified(there are scrolls of identify) and some are cursed, so, you can understand the procedure.
KViGGc8l.png

The game features a "fuck - the run" permanent death, which means, that in the most times if you die or a party member dies you are actually forced to start from scratch, no strings attached! So, the party has to suicide and then beggin a new run again! If you don't want to do that , the fallen party members can come back as skeletons , doing minimal dmg and having very low hp, but that's not viable !

The game takes some time to learn and master, and perma death makes it even harder.
It's Extremely fun to play it in multiplayer with your friends ( or your mom), it gets quite intense and confusing ( 4 players in one screen is... puzzling!) giving a nice sense of achievement when your useless friends and you kill the stage boss and move to the next dungeon !

A new to the game team will have a hell of a problem, but soon after you die 20-30 times , some will prolly remember parts of the dungeons being able to warn the others of the dangers to come, by time you'll get more nimble and you will understand what the fuck you're supposed to do !

Playing solo... i didn't see any point to it , except only to get to learn some dungeons to guide my party and save us from some silly deaths. I can't say it's bad while you play it alone, but the game experience is meant to be multiplayer!

At the end of the day, Vagante is a tought platformer that will give a lot of laughs (and hate!) to the players and will be quite enjoyable for quite some sessions !

CroweBoy101

Novice
That game looks pretty good I respect indie games because when you're first starting off making a game it can be hard most start there trying to be big... Let's all remember Minecraft is an indie game and yeah it's pretty awesome. Bigggggg fan base too...

CB101

Adamaklas

Literate
It's a fun shitty game to play with your stoned friends, nothin special, it's as rpg as icwd2 (amg :O)is and has a life span of 50-60 runs ^^
You can play metal slug 2 instead of this AfaiC ^^

spectre

Arcane
Lost me at: no point in playing solo. Shame, cause it's pushing all the right buttons otherwise.

Murk

Arcane
I wanted to try the game but watching it for more than 10 minutes made me change my mind. The caverns' music did remind me of that sweet tune from symphony of the night tho:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom