Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video Game Theme Remixes/covers

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So I've been listening a lot to various remixes/covers/arrangements from old games. Especially those from early 8-bit and 16-bit consoles and DOS had some bitching music and can be rearranged to rock/metal/acoustic/electronic/symphonic , with some awesome results. Any other suggestions ?

One of my favorites is a medley from Golden Axe. Really this dude has done a fantastic job :

Shadow of the Beast (Amiga) already has awesome music but this remix is damn great :

Castlevania of course. Most of this game series fantastic music can be covered into boner-inducing epic metal tunes. This one is from Castlevania II (NES) I believe, but of course it has been reused many times in the series:

There are some awesome acoustic arrangements too. Legend of Zelda (NES) :

I couldn't leave out one of my favorites, Ninja Gaiden (NES) :

I've found many more gems, I'll be posting them here later. I haven't really delved into more PC-centric releases from early DOS games. I'm searching this stuff from memory and frankly most DOS music was nonexistent to shit, unless you had a good sound card etc, which I didn't. I'd like to hear some suggestions.

DISCUSS!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
^ Yeah those Black Mages covers are very good. I especially like the Boss Battle Remix from FFVII

Turrican in a great rock/metal version :

Excellent cover of Schala's Theme from Chrono Trigger :

Contra Twin Guitar Medley rocks :

dunno lah

Arcane
It's crazy how Konami recorded so many orchestral suites for Gradius:

My go-to guy for Castlevania in Rock:

Ninjerk

Arcane

There's lots of good OCRemix tracks. I haven't really kept up with the "albums" much for years. I think the Chrono Trigger album was pretty good.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
When I search for a specific theme's cover my favorites are usually some crazy fan's cover.

Batman (NES) had a great soundtrack :

Chrono Trigger's "Wind Scene" :

Altered Beast "Rise from your Grave" :

made

Arcane
This would probably be the most widely known cover (Lazy Jones, C64)

And this the most shameless one (Agony, Amiga)

OCremic and Remix64/Amigaremix are full of amazing stuff, those people at least give credit where it's due.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

:?:?:?

From the top. The Xenon 2 theme was originally released as a single in 1988:

Which was then used in Xenon 2: Megablast:

But here's the thing, the original is the theme to "Assault on Precinct 13" (1976):

So in effect, that's a remix of a downsampled mix of a mix sampled from John Carpenter. And not even a good one.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

In the same vein :

FF VI - Terra's Theme

FF VII - Aerith's theme :

:?:?:?

From the top. The Xenon 2 theme was originally released as a single in 1988:
So in effect, that's a remix of a downsampled mix of a mix sampled from John Carpenter. And not even a good one.

:lol: yeah. It's funny how much stealing has been committed both by and to video game composers.

Basically all of Doom's 1 and 2 music is lifted from various metal bands, but it's so fitting and well done, you can't blame them.

Also Ninja Gaiden's ending theme is basically based on the classic Romeo & Juliet theme. This is a nice cover :

Last edited:

made

Arcane
Cool find, UC.

Turns out there was also a disco version of that song back in '83:

Can't blame them; it's a catchy melody.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Cool find, UC.

Turns out there was also a disco version of that song back in '83:

Can't blame them; it's a catchy melody.

Agreed, it's catchy as hell. But the Disco version feels...flat. It could easily be updated to something catchy, yet with a strong disco vibe to it.

dunno lah

Arcane
I think I've posted some of this guy's Castlevania covers in different threads here, before he became famous thanks to making Souls covers (and mostly through VaatiVidya's word of mouth).

Oh yeah, let's put a little more Wind Scene in this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom