Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video: Is Bioware moving on from RPGs?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Don't know if this was posted...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
LOL, Bioware moved on from RPGs long ago. More edgy Codexers would say they never made RPGs or that BG2 was the last, but if we're honest the last one with any shred of trying to be an RPG was Mass Effect 1 and that was already mostly a 3rd person shooter. Beyond that it's been all shooter all the time.

Martius

Liturgist
Well, there was scrapped Shadow Realms which got candled but looked like some kind of co-op action game. Still I wonder how "action" this potential game could. After last two Dragon Age games I am not sure if anyone at Bioware knows meaning of this word.

Dux

Arcane
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they cut it out entirely. Whatever. The last Bioware game I played was Dragon Age: Origins. I bought it for Christmas with saved up money, hoping it was going to be the true successor to Baldur's Gate. Well, needless to say it was not the best Christmas I've ever had.

:(

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Morgoth is right, I don't see a problem with this since The way Bioware has been going they are probably focusing more Action games with mild RPG elements rather than true RPGs or true ARPGs for that matter.

Just look at Mass Effect Skill trees for instances
masseffect_pc_07_1280x760.jpg
Now compare them Mass Effect 3 skill trees
403.gif
sheplooblog-1024x556.png
I read a lot of comments complain about how mass effect "RPG Elements" have been dumbed down but the truth of the matter is the RPG mechanics of the franchise have been Extremely shallow in the first place with ME2 being the low point of the franchise.

its really No different than any shooter with a equipment and upgrade system, UbiFarcry has as much RPG mechanics as ME at this point but its not calling itself an RPG just skyrim with guns......

Moreover factoring the Mediocre sales of the Dragon Age Franchise they might be wise to leave the RPG market.

Besides we don't want another developer defiling the genre with Othordox Marxism.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bioware games continue to have role playing (defining your character's personality in a way that modifies the narrative), so no.

Note: Character and combat systems are not role playing.

Delterius

Arcane
Roleplaying is a quality that is integral to all game systems and is not confined to mild personality customization. Try harder Roguey.

Some might disagree but I believe that Dragon Age 2 was BioWare's final threshold into the world of Action gaming. Shedding the trappings of the RPG genre gives them an opportunity to make a less than mediocre Action game. This is still nonetheless unlikely to happen.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
Sounds like they are going to be moving on from making games. Finally.

FUDU

Arcane
They're not moving on from making rpg's. All games now days are rpg's. Just ask any marketing department.

DraQ

Arcane
Bioware games continue to have role playing (defining your character's personality in a way that modifies the narrative), so no.

Note: Character and combat systems are not role playing.
RPG is defined by the presence of systems that distinguish between different kinds of characters.

C&C are all well and good, but there's been plenty of non-RPGs that had them - STALKER, Shogo, SiN, Tyrian, Strife, quite a few simulators and strategies and so on.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How is this relevant?

This seems to be a "Bioware doesn't make tabletop-derived games anymore" complaint thread since one can make and build characters that feel/play differently in Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

It's been clear for a long time now that BioWare doesn't want to (or know how to) make RPGs anymore. It's possible that a franchise born from BioWare's honest desire might turn into a breath of fresh air in the stale AAA industry, but I'm not feeling very optimistic.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The success of the Mass Effect games pretty much sealed Bioware's fate regarding making traditional RPGs. Even if they still wanted to, EA wouldn't let them. Whether you consider what they produce now RPGs is really just a matter of definition.

ortucis

Prophet
Mass Effect series was always light RPG's.

Besides, every fucking game these days has some RPG elements (upgrades, leveling, even dialogue choices sometimes) thrown here and there. I am guessing that BioWare is just happy to do that. Create a story they can milk sequels out of instead of trying to spend money designing pure RPG's.

Which is OK.

Nael

Arcane
dRgcwKJaGgWgo.gif

Real Problems, Guy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom