Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Volgarr the Viking any good?

Fryjar

Augur
Has anyone played this little indie gem? Its a very hard side scrolling game in a viking setting and an homage to the old arcade games (and their difficulty) of the mega drive/super nintendo days .
It looks fairly interesting with good level design, but I'm not sure if it actually offers enough variety.

In case someone doesn't know what I'm talking about, this should give you some idea what to expect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q6iGmHejgA

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I can beat Ninja Gaiden 1/2 on Master Ninja mode, but these goddam sidescrollers kick my ass. Horizontal hand-eye coordination is lacking or something. Also tapped out on the second level. The boss there is a nightmare.

Amazingly, some people play this game without getting hit once.
And there's an entire flipside of the game designed just for that.

A horse of course

I disliked it, but I never liked Castlevania or Ghosts and Goblins or w/e. Too difficult to be enjoyable. I did cuckstart it at the time.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The game is pretty shit. If you want to do a xXxhardKKKorexXx game, maybe you should consider making the controls non-terribad.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, didn't really enjoy this - played for 3 hours according to Steam. For contrast, Shovel Knight is far more enjoyable with decent controls. Finished that one without too much trouble - maybe just with some bosses. Insanity's Blade is okay in that aspect too, but not as good as Shovel Knight. Same goed for Odallus.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I enjoyed it a fair bit cos o nostalgia, but even wi alternate paths that open when you get good an find real ending theres still not much game there, DwarvenFood is right that Shovel Knight offers a lot more bang for your buck. I'd get it cheap on sale if you fancy this kinda thing, an want a bit o frustration in your life for a weekend. Soundtrack an graphics are cock on, superior to Shovel Knight for me cos i'm not a great weaboo fan, but gameplays not up to snuff which is important thing.

I'd fuckin love chance to play as a Volgarr like character in an RPG, instead o constant parade o pussies wi have to suffer through.

Ivan

Arcane
my favorite kickstarted game. play it now. hard as balls. super rewarding alternate levels that require good play to access.

when people complain about "hard controls" they're talking about the committed jumping the game uses. aside from that, the game is fucking T in the veins. It's really a game where you'll grow to enjoy it more as you git gud at it. if you don't, well, see Darth Roxor

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom