Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warcraft Adventures Unreleased Beta - Actually got released!

Dexter

Arcane
Found this while trying to make a stupid point somewhere else. xD Apparently some Russian people are in possession of a nearly finished version of the game and there's some rather lengthy Gameplay/Walkthroughs from it on YouTube:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The fact that they had Thrall scared of a rat destroyed all the work they spent in drawing a bad-ass muscle-bound orc and voicing him with a tough guy.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I really want those files.
Didn't watch the videos yet, but I wonder why Blizzard canned this...
Probably a good thing they did because they might not have developed WoW otherwise.
Why? Lord of the Clans tie Warcraft 2 lore to Warcraft 3, I don't see how it could stop WoW from being made... same thing with that Starcraft: Ghost game they never releazed.

They say it's due not meeting Blizzard's quality standard, but then again, they released Diablo 3... :troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Obviously there's no way for me to know for sure but I suppose if this was a success they might have focused more on other adventure games versus the MMO.

Alex

Arcane
Man, whenever I read about some unreleased game being found, I need to go around making sure there are no news about Metal Lords. God damn it, how come theycanfind a game that supposedly never left the company that made it ,but can't find a game that had magazine distribution for review purposes. Still it is pretty nice they found it, and if they release this for everyone to play, that would be awesome. I remember I was pretty miffed with Blizzard that they canned this after working on it for so long.

Obviously there's no way for me to know for sure but I suppose if this was a success they might have focused more on other adventure games versus the MMO.

Yeah! And maybe their Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 could have been good too... The thing about videogame history is that it has always been paved with disappointments.

Dexter

Arcane
I really want those files.

Didn't watch the videos yet, but I wonder why Blizzard canned this...

Probably a good thing they did because they might not have developed WoW otherwise.
Would have probably been the preferable outcome for the company and gamers in the long run, maybe they would've still been more humble as a company, would not have been merged with Activision and would still develop great games instead of cash-ins and milking machines.
Also there wouldn't have been the "MMO Hype" with all the World of Warcraft clones and instead the genre might have taken other directions, and just imagine if this Adventure game would've sold several million copies. xD

Bony

Learned
Queued
Damn you blizzard, canning good games and releasing shit after 10 years, MANIACS

almondblight

Arcane
I read somewhere that they canned it because by 1998 3D was all the rage, and they felt the game didn't look good enough to compete.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There seems to be an unvoiced version on abandonia. With reference to a voiced version on the forums there.

Hilarious. :rpgcodex:

Edit: The fuck. I just noticed the youtube videos are uploaded in 2011. Jeez. Fuck off.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What do you mean? I knew about the game, but not about these videos. And I thought that somebody just got the beta and uploaded these videos recently.

Eyeball

Arcane
I would much rather have had this game released than the online kiddie day care that is WOW. It looks absolutely beautiful, and adventure game from that era when games looked their best.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
By watching those videos, it's easy to see why Blizzard didn't release it... it's simply BAD.

The puzzles aren't interesting and require a lot of backtracking, the characters are goofy and retarded (Zul'Jin as pawnshop owner...WHY?), Thrall's jokes are horrible and feel forced, the ambients are too simple and devoid of any non-vital element, the animation is weak and downright shitty at some points... it's just a bad game, that has a completly different tone from what they pursued with Warcraft 3.

Sure, that would't stop today's Blizzard from releasing it, but wayback was different, a game like this could really give them a bad reputation of ruining a entire RST universe to make a dumb adventure game.

Eyeball

Arcane
WC3 pissed all over the established lore anyway. Warcraft Adventures couldn't possibly derpify the lore more than WC3 turnng the previously awesome and evil orcs into misunderstood noble savages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom