Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the worst game you played from the past 10 years?

Dux

Arcane
Thinking about this only seems to confirm the fact that I haven't really played all that many bad games in the last decade. I've been extremely selective, it seems.

I was about to say Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor but that's actually too old. I guess Dragon Age: Origins will have to do.

Severian Silk

I forgot I tried to play Mass Effect and didn't like it at all.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
It's between Fallout 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition. Both boring pieces of shit that make some of the only purchases I regret making. I actually wasted time trying to find a good moment in Fallout 3, but was bored through almost every second of the main story and DLCs, with moments of the Pitt being exceptions.

Deleted member 7219

Fallout 4 is undoubtedly the worst game I've played in recent memory. The reason I hate it so much is everything in it is so much worse than anything Bethesda have done before. Oblivion was Bethesda's previous nadir in terms of writing and dumbed down systems, and Fallout 4 manages to surpass even that. What makes it criminal is that Obsidian showed them how it could be done in New Vegas, and they ignored everything about it.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
Fallout 4, which is also by far the worst game I've ever played. It was the first game I've ever played that made me feel physically ill at how fuckin terrible it was.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Fallout 3
Fallout 4
, possibly one of the worst games I've ever played as well.
Dragon Age: Origins. POS. I'm surprised some people like it here.
Hitman Absolution. Absolute garbage.
Thi4f
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Duke Nukem Forever
. Do yourself a favor and play DNF 2013 for Duke3d instead.
Tomb Raider 2013

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
maxresdefault.jpg

Dragging my ass through DA:O because I'm a Biowarestoryfaggot is easily the thing that absolutely leaps out at me though. Actually couldn't bring myself to play the epilogue DLC which was really sad because tying stuff up. Also Hearthstone before the Starving Vulture nerf. And after the starving Vulture nerf tbh.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Final Fantasy XIII. It's a bunch of a concept art thrown together at the last minute with no rhyme or reason (for real), the dialog is nonsensical rubbish written by autistic Japanese guys. You play the game by holding up for several seconds and then pressing circle, then repeating for 20 hours until you get to the "good part" which is just MMORPG quests in a giant field (or so I'm told, I could only last 13 hours).

This game single-handedly swore me off Japanese console games, and ultimately led to me getting back into PC games.

Suicidal

Arcane
Gotta be Dragon Age: Origins. Not because it's bad - it's merely mediocre and boring. It's just that everything else that I've played was better at least in some way.

pippin

Not because it's bad - it's merely mediocre and boring.

That's what I've been thinking... the topic is about "bad" games, not "mediocre" ones. I guess I deleted all the bad games I've played from my memory? The Doom port for the SNES was pretty shit, and the Art of Fighting one was too.

I don't think DAO or TR2013 are what we could call a "bad" game. In fact I had fun with the latter. Oblivion is the video game equivalent of an Ed Wood movie and that's why I can't hate it.

Although I think I need to play more bad games... for science.

Suicidal

Arcane
Not because it's bad - it's merely mediocre and boring.

That's what I've been thinking... the topic is about "bad" games, not "mediocre" ones. I guess I deleted all the bad games I've played from my memory? The Doom port for the SNES was pretty shit, and the Art of Fighting one was too.

I don't think DAO or TR2013 are what we could call a "bad" game. In fact I had fun with the latter. Oblivion is the video game equivalent of an Ed Wood movie and that's why I can't hate it.

Although I think I need to play more bad games... for science.

Well if you play nothing but good or mediocre games and stay away from shit ones, then one of the games you've played still gotta be worst among the bunch even if it's not bad by itself.

tormund

Arcane
I guess I deleted all the bad games I've played from my memory?
It's same for me, truly abysmal stuff just gets filtered out.

Anyway, THIAF and Arcania would be two that I played to some extent in the last half a decade or so and that I truly found offensively poor. Kind of stuff where you're hit with the fact that devs behind them never should've worked on those particular games, they were so far detached from both what made their predecessors good and from what makes their respective genres good, and in THIAF's case there was remarkable degree of technical incompetence on display (Thief game... with a completely broken audio that is of no use to gameplay).

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Arcania is indeed a shit game, but expecting nothing on release made me possible to enjoy playing it through to some degree. Some nice locations and unapologetic bad writing was fun enough for me.

Wouldn't replay it, though.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Dragon Age: Origins is probably the only game that has made me feel genuinely dirty about playing it. The shittiness just kept slowly creeping in until, at some point, you realized that you had been violated and there was no way to undo that.

Suicidal

Arcane
Dragon Age: Origins is probably the only game that has made me feel genuinely dirty about playing it. The shittiness just kept slowly creeping in until, at some point, you realized that you had been violated and there was no way to undo that.

Haha, that's how I felt playing it. In the begging it seemed like a decent game, like a better version of NWN 2 original campaign. I liked the first few areas but then the longer I played the more I realized that I was getting so fucking bored because every enemy group was the same (couple of humanoid warriors and archers all the way with an occasional mage or monster thrown in), boss enemies were defeated by chaining crowd control spells till they die and I also had the misfortune of playing on the hardest difficulty, so the enemies had extreme HP and defense bloat.

The plot was also failed to interest me, there was no mystery, no interesting events. You start the game by fighting against the notOrc armies of notSauron and you finish doing exactly the same thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom