Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline What must I do to regain my Brofisting privilege?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Nah, yes.

Zeriel

Arcane
The real question is why do we take away brofisting privileges simply because people brofist thousands of posts in 10 year old threads? I mean, I was only spreading love, appreciation, and respect for vastly underlooked gems from the past...

Injustice!

DraQ

Arcane
Wouldn't teams of one Ozzie and one Kwanzanian be better in technical terms?

The real question is why do we take away brofisting privileges simply because people brofist thousands of posts in 10 year old threads? I mean, I was only spreading love, appreciation, and respect for vastly underlooked gems from the past...

Injustice!
I'm all for judging whether or not something was brofist spamming on the basis of what is fisted not when it was posted.
Of course I'm not entirely impartial here.
+M

Crispy
Wouldn't you rather be remembered for something else than being the guy who quits?
If I were you I'd be jumping on an opportunity to wash off the shame.

I'll have a think about it, but I'm fairly keen to have a go.
At least train a bit with an actual human, preferably someone good.
The less players on the map, the wider the gap between a human and a bot gets and 2v2 is almost a duel.

P.S.
Link relevant:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Duel_of_Honor

Last edited:
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At least train a bit with an actual human, preferably someone good.
The less players on the map, the wider the gap between a human and a bot gets and 2v2 is almost a duel.

Cheers, good call.

Usually when I play against bots I run into the the thick of the action, taking on multiple bots simultaneously. I know that's still not the same though.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is quite a coincidence. GOG has each of the Unreal games (including UT GOTY) for $2.50 this weekend... for those of you itching to throw down a challenge for the Codexian hivemind's benefit and betting pools.

DraQ

Arcane
Usually when I play against bots I run into the the thick of the action, taking on multiple bots simultaneously.
Which basically means you grab a weapon, take whatever powerups you can find and go where you hear any sort of fighting to score a few frags.

All that matters is knowing your way around the map and having good enough twitch and weapon skills to score a bunch of frags before you're killed.
In free for all you aren't really fighting against anyone in particular, so the skills that can be reasonably implemented in a bot are all that matter.

Meanwhile, in a duel or game with only few players there aren't many live frags running around the map up for grabs.
Since there is only few of you and one's advantage directly set the others back longer term skills and survival take precedence.
So:
  • awareness - players can hear one another as they take important powerups and predict where they will turn up next (at which point they will meet face to face with a timely salvo of rockets).
  • map control - keeping all the good stuff for yourself and barring other player(s) from it meaning keeping track on when, where and what respawns and how to get there.
  • prediction - guessing what the other player wants to do at any given moment.
  • avoiding prediction - doing unexpected stuff to avoid that timely salvo of rockets scheduled to be in the same place as you as you merrily emerge from around the corner while still keeping up the pace.
  • memory - keeping track of other player(s)' state - health, armor, what weapons and powerups they have, whether they are low on ammo, etc.
Are crucial.
Those are the things bots don't do as well (well, they can be taught map control, I guess, but other things are hard).
You won't really learn all that against bots. Even if you polish your twitch and weapon mastery overreliance on what you learned with bots will effectively give you a bunch of huge blind spots in regards to stuff the bots were not doing in your games.

Do note that there are tradeoffs - items emit sound, so while collecting them is the most surefire way of keeping them out of other player(s)'s hands and buff yourself, it broadcasts your position and (partially) state. Shield belt makes you more visible if you want to hide in shadow, damage amplifier is noisy, glows (through the walls too) and puts pressure on the user to score frags with it before it wears off. Avoiding prediction inevitably gives up some control and so on.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Fine. I'll play, under the following conditions:

- I hereby solemnly swear to Codex, I will not quit the match early this time, as long as there are no natural disasters that intervene, I am not taken to heaven during its commencement, or any other unforeseen event occurs such as my mom walking in on me while I'm playing.

- I cannot and WILL NOT play if there's a Golden State Warriors basketball game taking place that same evening. This is ABSOLUTELY NON-NEGOTIABLE. The schedule for the games is somewhat fluid as the final contestants the NBA Finals have not been determined yet, but this info will be widely available once they are.

- I will not take part in any practices, I do not care to participate in any pre-match hype or circumstance (PTSD trigger) nor will I be involving myself in any CDS chat/shit-talking/taunting/whatever. I will simply log in to the server when the match is ready to go and I will try to at least get one frag. Once the match is terminated I will likely log off and go to bed, apathetic.

- The above entry is a defense mechanism and as such could change as my false bravado ebbs and wanes.

And one last thing:

- I request, only REQUEST, that I not be subjected to any of the outcomes of the betting on the match. I am an old man, I feel as if I have paid my penance for the last time we did this (although many may disagree) and I just don't really feel like having tons of brofists won or lost on account of me again. I realize I may not be able to control this, but at least spare me from any new tags resulting from my spectacular or spectacularly bad play. I'll probably frag myself several times and I may just wander off on the map aimlessly as I'm trying to find my way back to where Menckenstein terminated me the first time.

- Speaking of which, I'd actually like to request a different map this time if possible. I still see that one in my nightmares from time to time and I really need my sleep.

Thank you.

Edit: Shamefur Dispray, Chapter Two: The Sickening Crunch of Lameness

Edit 2: This is going to suck

Grimlorn

Arcane

- I hereby solemnly swear to Codex, I will not quit the match early this time, as long as there are no natural disasters that intervene, I am not taken to heaven during its commencement, or any other unforeseen event occurs such as my mom walking in on me while I'm playing.

- I cannot and WILL NOT play if there's a Golden State Warriors basketball game taking place that same evening. This is ABSOLUTELY NON-NEGOTIABLE. The schedule for the games is somewhat fluid as the final contestants the NBA Finals have not been determined yet, but this info will be widely available once they are.

- I will not take part in any practices, I do not care to participate in any pre-match hype or circumstance (PTSD trigger) nor will I be involving myself in any CDS chat/shit-talking/taunting/whatever. I will simply log in to the server when the match is ready to go and I will try to at least get one frag. Once the match is terminated I will likely log off and go to bed, apathetic.

- The above entry is a defense mechanism and as such could change as my false bravado ebbs and wanes.

And one last thing:

- I request, only REQUEST, that I not be subjected to any of the outcomes of the betting on the match. I am an old man, I feel as if I have paid my penance for the last time we did this (although many may disagree) and I just don't really feel like having tons of brofists won or lost on account of me again. I realize I may not be able to control this, but at least spare me from any new tags resulting from my spectacular or spectacularly bad play. I'll probably frag myself several times and I may just wander off on the map aimlessly as I'm trying to find my way back to where Menckenstein terminated me the first time.

- Speaking of which, I'd actually like to request a different map this time if possible. I still see that one in my nightmares from time to time and I really need my sleep.

Thank you.

What a diva.

DraQ

Arcane

And one last thing:

Thank you.

:salute:
Better apathetic than pathetic.

You must beat me at Call of Duty 4 Promod
:nocountryforshitposters:

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

And one last thing:

Thank you.

Good shit! Let it be known that Crispy is a brave man and that by simply taking part in this event he is redeeming himself somewhat. :bro:

DraQ Thanks for the tips.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Do we have any hosts yet? Preferably Australian ones. And someone to stream. I suspect the streamer should be someone different to whomever is hosting the match.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If it's hosted in Australia, we all know which side will win. Unless there is one Australian in each team.

Random

Arcane
Patron
So Menckenstein + TR vs. Crispy + DU?

Make it a true rematch tag team blowout extravaganza!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
DU and Crispy vs. Transfiguring Roar and Sensuki?

Three Australians and one Crispy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom