Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
WoW's world pvp #lmao

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
World PvP is about running around with ~15 players blowing up questing players while you wait for the rest of the raid to log on. Gear changes won't take that away.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The item advantage of PvPers is gone, true, but if Blizzard won't change anything PvEers will now have an item advantage in world pvp
:cheersmate::russiastronk::mrpresident::vivelafrance:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why do people play WoW for PvP when there are countless other better options?

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Best PvP is arguing on the Blizzard forums.
:lol:

I miss reading all the bitching and whining from people complaining about getting ganked, what i wouldn't give to go back in time to 2005 again.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm considering playing muds again. Still better than wow. I hear they made great advancements in the last two decades.

e713734e7d2fd78c9cf916bbc63d4148.png

24ff24653049e0ace1c14be85959e9a9.jpg

Jazz_

Arcane
I have never encountered a pvp that was more interesting, challenging and fun than vanilla-tbc era WOW in any other MMORPG I have tried. After that the game went full retard tho. I can only imagine how horrible it must be nowadays.

By the way, that Nostalrius affair how did end up? They won't be allowed to run their servers ever again and Blizzard won't open vanilla servers either?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I have never encountered a pvp that was more interesting, challenging and fun than vanilla-tbc era WOW in any other MMORPG I have tried. After that the game went full retard tho. I can only imagine how horrible it must be nowadays.

By the way, that Nostalrius affair how did end up? They won't be allowed to run their servers ever again and Blizzard won't open vanilla servers either?
Wait to see if Legion or WoD or whatever this next expansion is bombs.

Why do people play WoW for PvP when there are countless other better options?

Like?
Almost any decent team-based shooter over the last ten years?

Dynamic wise Overwatch is the only thing that came close, so yeah. As imbalanced WoW pvp always was, it was also quite fun and fast paced (few seasons of arena aside, but then again, arena is only a part of the experience) and REACTIVE, the latter is the most important I feel. I still can remember vividly all of them intercepted cheap shots on my shammy friend at some very clutch moments, shit like that felt very rewarding. Alas they have been steadily chipping away at it for years... so nowadays - pvp playstyle is locked tight within blizz guidelines, no room for finesse. Lock someone down with your 'class fantasy stun' and unload your pve rotation, rinse and repeat.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Vanilla era PvP = teams of raiders rolling pugs in battlegrounds.
You never played Vanilla retail have you?

What made vanilla era pvp great was the low lvl outdoor pvp, not battlegrounds. Having to constantly watch your back while pulling/grinding mobs for potential gankers/griefers or w/e you want to call them, made for an intense and nerve racking atmosphere, yet very satisfying when you were able to defend yourself and stand victorious over the asshole who was trying to ruin your day, and of course this went both ways. You also learned very quickly how to properly play your class among other things (i.e. binding your keys, don't keyboard turn, don't back peddle etc.) This also imo, made you into a more complete player with a much better understanding of the game mechanics.

I don't know how it is now, but Blizzard gave you a lot of freedom back in the day, both in talent build experimentation and in general being able to slaughter any NPC and PC that you wanted with little to no repercussions. It was great making small raiding groups and going to towns like crossroads or astranar and just locking the whole area down, which would eventually be the catalyst for a massive outdoor pvp brawl involving hundreds of players that would go on for hours, Tarren mill/South shore was always the worst. This was also what made the social aspect of WoW great cause you would make friends with other players by doing stuff like this, and obviously it's always the most fun doing anything in WoW with your bro's, especially PvP indoor or out.

Anyways, to me this is what made Vanilla WoW great and memorable, despite playing TBC i can barely remember jack shit from it, though i will admit it was overall the superior product. And as far as raiding is concerned, i still can't after all these years wrap my head around how anyone could enjoy it, it was the worst thing of WoW, loved 5 man's though. If Blizzard kept all the instances to 10 peeps or less it would have been perfect.

Finally, a lot of people just don't like to compete and that's fine, they just want to get into the instance, down the pixel dragon, collect the loots and be on their merry way...wash rinse and repeat, and again that's fine, but i still see it as a major waste of time investing thousands of hours farming all that gear for your toon only to just do nothing with it except stand around and have a fashion show until the next raid. Don't you guys like to compete?...at all?

tl;dr: If you're not first you're last.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Played starting day one. Once battlegrounds went live outdoor PvP (aside from gankings) was a thing of the past. RIP Tarran Mill zerg. And yes, the raiders with higher tier gear (especially weapons and trinkets) dominated.

Caim

Arcane

What made vanilla era pvp great was the low lvl outdoor pvp, not battlegrounds. Having to constantly watch your back while pulling/grinding mobs for potential gankers/griefers or w/e you want to call them, made for an intense and nerve racking atmosphere, yet very satisfying when you were able to defend yourself and stand victorious over the asshole who was trying to ruin your day, and of course this went both ways. You also learned very quickly how to properly play your class among other things (i.e. binding your keys, don't keyboard turn, don't back peddle etc.) This also imo, made you into a more complete player with a much better understanding of the game mechanics.

I don't know how it is now, but Blizzard gave you a lot of freedom back in the day, both in talent build experimentation and in general being able to slaughter any NPC and PC that you wanted with little to no repercussions. It was great making small raiding groups and going to towns like crossroads or astranar and just locking the whole area down, which would eventually be the catalyst for a massive outdoor pvp brawl involving hundreds of players that would go on for hours, Tarren mill/South shore was always the worst. This was also what made the social aspect of WoW great cause you would make friends with other players by doing stuff like this, and obviously it's always the most fun doing anything in WoW with your bro's, especially PvP indoor or out.

Anyways, to me this is what made Vanilla WoW great and memorable, despite playing TBC i can barely remember jack shit from it, though i will admit it was overall the superior product. And as far as raiding is concerned, i still can't after all these years wrap my head around how anyone could enjoy it, it was the worst thing of WoW, loved 5 man's though. If Blizzard kept all the instances to 10 peeps or less it would have been perfect.

Finally, a lot of people just don't like to compete and that's fine, they just want to get into the instance, down the pixel dragon, collect the loots and be on their merry way...wash rinse and repeat, and again that's fine, but i still see it as a major waste of time investing thousands of hours farming all that gear for your toon only to just do nothing with it except stand around and have a fashion show until the next raid. Don't you guys like to compete?...at all?

tl;dr: If you're not first you're last.
I remember the old talent system, where you got a point every level and got to apply it to a variety of things to make interesting builds. Some were merely attack bonuses while others gave new procs to your attacks, let you do other fun stuff with them or even add whole new attacks.

I miss that system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom