Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
WoW going from p2w leveling bypasses to pretty much direct pay2win gear sales. Kek.

Apexis gear is now bought with gold.

Buy token, sell for gold, buy gear, bypass most gearing process.

The best bit are the players going out all "ITS NOT P2W CUZ ITS NOT THE BESTEST OF THE BESTEST GEAR HURR DURR!"

Amazing.

Revenant

Source? I guess it shouldn't be such a big surprise, as it would be irrational for Blizzard not to introduce more ways to spend gold after making gold available to buy for real money. However, my opinion is that at the point of P2W at normal difficulty raiding tier, the game should go full F2P already as it won't be long people won't be as keen to pay a subscription for a P2W of such degree. Though, this being WoW, it may take years for the most dedicated (nostalgic) subscribers to open their eyes and give up on the game.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Patch 6.2 - Apexis Crystal Gear for Gold
Patch 6.2 will change the Apexis Crystal gear prices to gold rather than Apexis Crystals. Gearing up alts will be easier, but not cheap! Each item level 675 item is 20,000 gold, so it will cost you 120,000 gold for all 6 slots. Hellfire Citadel Normal loot ranges from item level 690 to 705 depending on the boss / item.

As always, keep in mind that PTR prices are not final until they are live.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

Revenant

Also, the actual good news about this is that the price of the WoW Token is likely to drop after people learn about all this shiny new gear obtainable for their jewgold. Let the wealthy Westerners pour hundreds of euros into WoW so I could play for free :kfc:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Patch 6.2 - Apexis Crystal Gear for Gold
Patch 6.2 will change the Apexis Crystal gear prices to gold rather than Apexis Crystals. Gearing up alts will be easier, but not cheap! Each item level 675 item is 20,000 gold, so it will cost you 120,000 gold for all 6 slots. Hellfire Citadel Normal loot ranges from item level 690 to 705 depending on the boss / item.

As always, keep in mind that PTR prices are not final until they are live.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

This is disgusting. Welcome to WoW, the world's first sub-based mmo that is using the dirtiest itemshop-based game methods. We at Blizzard really like to rip you off, you idiots!

Bleh :|

/e: God the people saying that you could always buy gold from china farmers so the game has always been P2W

Oh god :retarded:

Last edited:

Aildrik

Savant
Finding my interest in the game waning again big time. I have had an almost OCD like compulsion to log in daily on my main and alts and gather all the herbs/ore and do work orders but finding that hard to force myself to do. I now have stupid amounts of herbs/orb and tradeskill mats and nothing to do with them since the crafting stuff is BoP :( I log in twice a week for raiding but that is about it. The other fluff crap just doesn't hold my interest (pet battles, etc). I suspect I will be cancelling my sub soon after 6.2. I hope they release some info soon about the next expac, but I suspect that won't be until Blizzcon :(

Hobo Elf

Arcane
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17597939626?page=1

WoWfags are up in arms at Blizzards decision to not add flying into the new expac areas, and possibly will not add flying at all from here on out either.
First Blizzard alienated the people (like me) who liked outdoor PvP by making flying mounts, now they are alienating their casual cow clicker fans by removing flying. I bet all those people who spent real $$$ on those cash shop flying mounts are thrilled to bits. At this point it feels like Blizzard is actively trying to kill WoW.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
flying mounts are shit so all is good
I was server first epic mount in TBC and I stroke like 1000 e-peen loads onto pleb faces so who gives a shit anomore LOLL

if they remove pvp items/pvp stats on items, the game will be fixed

Revenant

Lol, this game will never be fixed, not after the gear for gold threshold. The introduction of the WoW token means the game is already on life support. The desperate measures Blizzard employed to milk money from existing subscribers means not only heavy subscriber loss (massive subsriber losses occured in nearly every expansion before the next one launched), but also their apprehension that the lost subscribers will never be recovered (you won't pull off many more "TBC renaissance" expansions like WoD was anticipated). After Blizzard cashes in from revenues from the WoW Token, the game will likely be completely free to play and dead in a few years.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Lol, this game will never be fixed, not after the gear for gold threshold. The introduction of the WoW token means the game is already on life support. The desperate measures Blizzard employed to milk money from existing subscribers means not only heavy subscriber loss (massive subsriber losses occured in nearly every expansion before the next one launched), but also their apprehension that the lost subscribers will never be recovered (you won't pull off many more "TBC renaissance" expansions like WoD was anticipated). After Blizzard cashes in from revenues from the WoW Token, the game will likely be completely free to play and dead in a few years.
hopefully, it's time we get something new, Titan didn't work out, but this Wow era needs to end so we can move on to something better. Wow was way too successful for everyone's well being, for players and for developers, who need to come up with something ELSE now...

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Hobo Elf said:
First Blizzard alienated the people (like me) who liked outdoor PvP by making flying mounts

Flying mounts never killed outdoor PvP, that's just absurd claim. BGs as only viable source of honor in competitive space did that long before

On life support? We're still talking about game that has over 7 million active subscriber base, largest than any other competing MMO ever aside from itself. They are still making more money than small nations from those subs alone, even when considering in the divide with Asia. Their subs have been fluctutating heavily yes, but their profit base has never been higher, considering they outsell many F2P titles with their cash shop, standing at hundreds of millions of profit from it alone.

Saying it's on life support is incredibly silly. Is it by design terrible? Yes. Are they moneygrubbing idiots going for short term gains to profiteer on fading subs? Yes. Are they on life support? If you consider billions of money made life support to this date, sure. I don't.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17597939626?page=1

WoWfags are up in arms at Blizzards decision to not add flying into the new expac areas, and possibly will not add flying at all from here on out either.
First Blizzard alienated the people (like me) who liked outdoor PvP by making flying mounts, now they are alienating their casual cow clicker fans by removing flying. I bet all those people who spent real $$$ on those cash shop flying mounts are thrilled to bits. At this point it feels like Blizzard is actively trying to kill WoW.
Those people have been bitching about no flying since day one of WoD. They won't quit. Anyone still paying for this game that's in a shell of its former state is borderline addicted. And the token will ensure that 'whales' subsidize those who think only buying game time with gold will make for a sufficient protest. Meanwhile Blizzard gets $20 for a sub instead of $15.

There's nowhere to fly on Draenor, anyway, save doing archeology. Everything is provided for in your garrison save a quick flight to Nagrand to farm animals for a barn (if you even have one). Funny thing, though, I believe the reward for doing the final raid achievements is... a flying mount.

Revenant

On life support? We're still talking about game that has over 7 million active subscriber base, largest than any other competing MMO ever aside from itself. They are still making more money than small nations from those subs alone, even when considering in the divide with Asia. Their subs have been fluctutating heavily yes, but their profit base has never been higher, considering they outsell many F2P titles with their cash shop, standing at hundreds of millions of profit from it alone.

Saying it's on life support is incredibly silly. Is it by design terrible? Yes. Are they moneygrubbing idiots going for short term gains to profiteer on fading subs? Yes. Are they on life support? If you consider billions of money made life support to this date, sure. I don't.
Whether a game is on life support depends not on its absolute status, but rather on the direction the game is going to. What good are 7 million subscribers if 3 million were lost in a matter of months? Non-vanity microtransactions in a subscription model are not a sustainable mode of an MMO existence. Once the initial cash grab is over, players will realize they're paying a subscription for a P2W game and people will leave in humongous numbers. Blizzard has essentially decided to pull the plug, but because of the sheer size of their MMO the convulsions might last for years before the final death.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
hopefully, it's time we get something new, Titan didn't work out, but this Wow era needs to end so we can move on to something better. Wow was way too successful for everyone's well being, for players and for developers, who need to come up with something ELSE now...

The problem is - where would it go? MMORPG gaming is becoming more and more of a virtual chatbox with almost no timesinks to keep you busy. Sub based MMORPGs are also the absolute minority by now. And I really wouldn't count on Blizzard to create the next hit MMO since they are already showing how greedy they are, their next MMO will probably be the worst Pay 2 Win crap of all time. Very cleverly done and in a way it doesn't feel P2W immediately, but P2W nonetheless.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If they make another MMO, which I doubt that current Blizzard is interested in. To me it seems like Blizzard is stepping away from traditional games and are going to focus their time and effort on smaller casual games. Hearthstone was made by a few guys during their coffee breaks and that game made huge bank. They see success in that model and it's easier to try and replicate a similar success made in similar conditions rather than making another huge MMO which requires lots of time, effort and money. Blizzard is going to be neo-Zynga.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Exactly. Look how much money they made with Hearthstone. A game that has maybe... twenty or thirty staffers? They don't even have to pay artists since they lift the artwork from the physical trading card game. Compare that to WoW where you have to employ hundreds if not thousands of people from designers to artists to musicians to programmers to game masters and then pay to keep all of the servers running. And while HoTS might not make as much as DoTA2 or LoL it'll still make hundreds of millions for relatively little operational costs. The fact that they scrapped Titan and made into a TF2 clone as all you need to know about the future of Blizzard. WoW is the last major subscription based MMO. Nothing will ever come close to even a half of the numbers they pull in today. It'll slowly fade out and nothing will take its place because the genre is dead. Not enough people who want 'hardcore' raiding/dungeon experiences.

Ten years ago, gaming was still a fringe hobby. Now everyone and their grandmother plays video games so that's who your market is.

Revenant

Now just imagine what kind of butthurt would this discussion generate on Blizzard forums. It's just mind-boggling what defensive and see-no-evil kind of fucks inhabit WoW nowadays. Whatever unimaginably bad novelty would Blizzard introduce into the game, they would just greet it with open arms and tear anyone being critical of it to pieces. R.I.P. WoW, 2004-2015

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
WoW creatively died a while ago. It won't 'die' in-fact for many more years to comes. Would not be surprised if it lasted another ten years.

Revenant

I think the Timeless Isle was a really creative addition to the game. I was enthusiastic about the samely designed Tanaan Jungle too, until the game made a higher ilvl gear purchaseable for real money than the one possible to farm in Tanaan.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Whether a game is on life support depends not on its absolute status, but rather on the direction the game is going to. What good are 7 million subscribers if 3 million were lost in a matter of months? Non-vanity microtransactions in a subscription model are not a sustainable mode of an MMO existence. Once the initial cash grab is over, players will realize they're paying a subscription for a P2W game and people will leave in humongous numbers. Blizzard has essentially decided to pull the plug, but because of the sheer size of their MMO the convulsions might last for years before the final death.

This is just patently false on bigger picture, something the financial doomsayers failed to see during even the worst content droughts of MoP which should've seen sharpest declines in number. What happened now was that the people hyped for WoD dropped out, simple as that. We already saw during MoP that subs will shrink to roughly around 7 million, give or take few hundred thousand each way, then fluctuate within margin and that's just what happened now. WoD had HUGE peak of subs because of the most aggressive marketing campaign in Blizzard's history, as well as creating the false premise in return to TBC roots.

Now we're back to the core subscriber level which will remain the same for the future to come, if not only for that being the stable core of their playerbase, but also because of the token system where people just extend their sub with gold, scheme which is even more profitable to Blizzard due to it's higher cost per month to buyer (20e / month token vs 13e/month sub in EU).

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Just canceled my sub after rejoining a bit after 6.1's release. I don't know why it took me this long. Might come back after 6.2 if it's any good but probably not.

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, anyone have any suggestions for other MMOs to try? I did TOR for a little while but got bored fast. How are Tera, Rift, TSW, and ESO?

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Well honestly there isn't any current MMO that would be up to my standards so I'll be sticking with private vanilla servers until Corecraft finally hits

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom