Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
1387956278_1280854992.jpg

J1M

Arcane
I hope the slow burn on their survival hunter announcement is just because they are testing the waters for larger changes to other classes. For example, I'd like to see rogues paired down to 2 specs. Arcane mages could be revamped into a second healer that focuses on shielding, like discipline priests. etc.

Don Peste

Arcane
A rogue with a bow, a blackjack and a mechanical eye. That would be interesting. And a warrior specialized in throwing knives.

J1M

Arcane
A rogue with a bow, a blackjack and a mechanical eye. That would be interesting. And a warrior specialized in throwing knives.
Yes. One of the bigger problems with the game right now is the high melee dps population when ranged dps are more desired.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
They mentioned that Warlock demonology becomes focused on pets rather than metamorphosis. Affliction is still dots, while destruction is "bursts of fel fire". Same thread was rumouring that Unholy DKs would be a summoning spec with more but short lived minions

Don Peste

Arcane
Pre-patch storyline revealed:

One member of the darkspear trolls will stab Aggra in the belly,then Vol'Jin will stab Thrall telling him "The Kor'Krons send their regards". Then they will cut the thoat of Draka.As a celebration they will behead Thrall and put a frostwolf's head instead and roam this abomination around as a trophy of victory and revenge for their dead leader Garrosh.Finally Sylvanas will find Draka's body and resurect her as undead.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What a jerk :rpgcodex:

He doesn't realize it's not about roflstomping newbs but the addicting process of getting new and better gear. This is important - as I said Arena and especially BGs are horribly boring without any motivation. Arenas are at least some challenge to your skill and thus have a slight motivation in itself but BGs? Lol pls

hivemind

I always played pvp for fun and e-penis enlargement, the gear rewards were largely secondary.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Nigga you obviously don't care about pvp, it's just another item grind for you.
Not true :rpgcodex:

I just enjoy getting gear rewards but also love pvp. BG pvp IS horrible tho :P

Considering Scrooge could probably roflstomp me in S1 gear, skill does play a role. :P
Gear bonusses are big, but the main reason PvE players get stomped by PvP is because the two play entirely differently. In PvE you run the same 4-5 skill rotation to kill a mob over and over ad nauseam. In PvP your target doesn't have to good graces to stay in melee range, and will generalyl do unpredictable things that change yoru rotation. Once you've PvE'd for an hour or two, your brain is numbed, so you simply don't react fast enough and get blown up before you respond properly. Conversely, if I've been playing PvP for more than an hour, I get tense and jittery.

And yeah. BG PvP is terrible. At least in Arena and oPvP it feels like whether you win or lose is down to your contribution and not a bunch of asshats deciding to have a giant brawl in the middle of the map where there are no objectives.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are rated BGs not a thing anymore? Organised team vs organised team was pretty fun in my very limited experience (did like a total of 20 probably, around the time they were introduced).

The standard BGs are pretty dull unless the stars align and both sides want to go hard for a win, usually the game starts tipping in one side's favour then the other side just folds because they want out asap for another queue. Also, plenty of people who don't really seem to get the BG objective and just hit on the first thing that comes in range. And then there's the bots...

But rated BGs seemed like they could go somewhere, did they not pick up?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Are rated BGs not a thing anymore? Organised team vs organised team was pretty fun in my very limited experience (did like a total of 20 probably, around the time they were introduced).

Rated BGs are a thing. But unless you're in a PvP guild, expect to lose badly. The LFG rated groups are like regular BG groups, except angrier and put up against a PvP guild who's on teamspeak. This goes double if you play as horde right now, since there's a slight imbalance in the races among the dedicated pvp players (72% alliance, 28% horde at 1800+ according to the WoW armory). That means if you're pugging as horde, there's a pretty huge risk you'll be facing off against an organized guild.

Also, on the topic of gear, somebody way more observant than I noted that that the Gamescom presentation used (unscaled) season 1 blues vs season 2 purples to make the difference in stats look bigger than it really is. (For starters, the S1 blues would be boosted from ilvl 590 to 680 in PvP. Even regular PvE gear would be boosted to Ilvl 660). Blizzard is either completely unaware how their own game works, or deliberately trying to paint a false picture of the role gear plays. Of course, if these are the guys who made WoD it is entirely possible that they're simultaneously incompetent and lying.

He doesn't realize it's not about roflstomping newbs but the addicting process of getting new and better gear. This is important - as I said Arena and especially BGs are horribly boring without any motivation.

The next logical step should be to remove gear progression from dungeons and raids. It's no fair that the guy who just hit level 100 can't do Mythic Hellfire Citadel. Make his gear the same as the hardcore raider gear statwise. Cosmetics should be plenty of motivation for them. :P

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
In arena lowest item is 690 (according to tooltip in inventory, fuck knows what's really going on anyway).

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Minimizing the gear effect in pvp is a welcome idea, but I wonder how Blizz is going to incentivize continued pvp participation in that case. The pvp gear treadmill was a bandaid to subpar pvp mechanics, and the underlying mechanics and variety need to be improved by a whole lot to get the majority to pvp just for pvp's sake. Separate pvp balancing is a start, but I'm wary of Blizzard botching the execution of said idea.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
One member of the darkspear trolls will stab Aggra in the belly,then Vol'Jin will stab Thrall telling him "The Kor'Krons send their regards". Then they will cut the thoat of Draka.As a celebration they will behead Thrall and put a frostwolf's head instead and roam this abomination around as a trophy of victory and revenge for their dead leader Garrosh.Finally Sylvanas will find Draka's body and resurect her as undead.
What? This makes no sense -- why is Vol'jin aligned with the people who tried to kill him (and are now presumably defunct)?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Minimizing the gear effect in pvp is a welcome idea, but I wonder how Blizz is going to incentivize continued pvp participation in that case. The pvp gear treadmill was a bandaid to subpar pvp mechanics, and the underlying mechanics and variety need to be improved by a whole lot to get the majority to pvp just for pvp's sake. Separate pvp balancing is a start, but I'm wary of Blizzard botching the execution of said idea.
oh i dont know maybe they could try to make it fun to play

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
#1 thing that made PvP shit in WoW: Excessive 'loss of control' of your character. Anyway, it's never been balanced. Arena is laughable and was mostly used to push lol-e-sports and provide a cheap content filler (all you have to do is make circular rooms). Battlegrounds went to shit because sometime around TBC/Wrath people stopped playing for fun and simply used it as a means to grind for gear. Even if you replace the gear rewards with aesthetics people will still grind for it. You can't change the mentality of the average MMO player these days.

There are better games for people who want true skill-based PvP action.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Or, I dunno, you could realize that gear has nothing to do with why your lv 31 alt is being roflstomped by lvl 100s in Stranglethorn Vale. They could be naked and it wouldn't change a thing. The gankers that people get upset about mostly use excessive numbers/level advantage rather than gear or skills to beat you.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Maybe I missed something but I didn't reference ganking or world PvP.

Echo Mirage

Arcane

Metzen killing off Thrall? I don't buy that. Metzen and Blizz love him and the horde way to much to do that. And besides Thrall would get the resurrection. As is in keeping with his green Jesus characterization.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Maybe I missed something but I didn't reference ganking or world PvP.

I was replying to the ongoing thing about the guy who whined about PvP gear at the top of the page.

Loss of control is enh, but blizzard implemented a giant flashing icon telling you what kind of loss of control you're suffering and how long it will last. And most classes have 2-3 CC breakers. Plus you get the stacking CC resist every time you get CC'ed. It's still annoying, but you don't get stunlocked unless there's something very wrong with you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom