Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Revenant

Cata was especially retarded with the only new areas outside starter zones being the underwater shit that was hell for melee classes, the burning omuntain which was nothing new and interesting and the underground area that was marginally interesting but seemed to lack content density.
Your forgot Ancient Egypt with the Indiana Jones against the Nazis storyline (a.k.a. Uldum) and Nihilistic Plains of Boredom with a Lot of Dark Purple (a.k.a. Twilight Highlands). Although the latter had the dwarven wedding storyline for the Alliance.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Huh... maybe. I just tried to get through it as soon as possible because at least pandaria had nice backdrops and I was powergrinding for 100 so I could PvP

Keshik

Arcane
I enjoyed Vashj'ir, flowed well as you get shipwrecked, find a way to survive and then move from safe point to safe point. Granted was annoying for melee but was more fun than Hyjal for me - even if it is unfinished in a way with no Abyssal Maw raid. Cata's zones not really leading to one another made it unenjoyable to level through, particularly Uldum with the cat people we didn't bother with much after.

TBC = Vanilla > WoTLK > MoP = WoD > Cata for me, though Vanilla was really my first experience with a MMORPG so maybe that colours it too much.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
No. It's shit. And you're shit for thinking it isn't shit.

Well aren't you full of shit tonight. But don't worry, I'll forgive you. :)

Keshik said:
I enjoyed Vashj'ir

Yeah, Vash'jir was alright. One of the two positives of that expansion. Vash'jir and first raid tier.

Divinity: Original Sin 2
well... WoD is pretty good in terms of class builds, there is no "one viable PvE build" anymore, you cannot be best DPS just by spamming shadow bolt. raids are really neat (BRF is f...n awesome, rest is meh).
in the other hand there are no fun stats anymore (expertise, hit rating), you cannot fine-tune your spec (gems) or make crazy combos (shockadin, restokin), your DPS depends how fast you pressed the button you have to press when weak-auras show you it's off CD (if that's not classic pop-a-mole, i have no idea what is. it always has been, but it was never 5-8 buttons ;) )

all this and legendary item farm/gear RNG makes me feel like I'm playing the game devs intended to be played, on this predesigned schedule (farm max 80 runes a week, 60% chance to roll versatility stat on gear, hard-coded hit rating for off-hand)

I just... cannot... do... anything... fun.
even with class build restrictions, TBC and WotLK were the best expansions to date.

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Actually WoD is pretty terrible about viable builds. Many classes have only one spec that is truly usable if you are doing any sort of real content, such as hunters and warlocks, or no usable spec at all where you are at best a gimmick for cleave fights like monk (as DPS) because the basis of your combat is shit.

At least in the past class restrictions made more sense and were because of true trade-offs (arguing whetever that was correctly done is entirely different subject) for other things you were supposed to be able to do.

Now it's only because of extremely poor balancing or design on Blizzard's part in enviroment when they've been saying they want everything to be at least somewhat viable.

Divinity: Original Sin 2
interesting. never played lock or hunter, or any other DPS (as main anyway). disc priest (or even shadow), prot warr - each has more than one viable build, depending on playstyle, they are situational and i tend to change talents depending on boss. it's pretty neat.

Zetor

Arcane
I'm still a bit salty they decided to completely fuck over survival hunters just when I was almost CM-ready with mine. Of course it's in line with the "lol let's make survival a melee spec, just like the terrible state it was in back in vanilla" approach they're taking for the new xpac, so whatever.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Blizzard should have done a starcraft mmorpg, that shit would have sold more than wow and actually justify more action oriented combat.

I've been playing a ton of destiny lately and a first person shooter works really well with the mmo community and looting aspects.

Dunno why they never did it.

Caim

Arcane
Blizzard should have done a starcraft mmorpg, that shit would have sold more than wow and actually justify more action oriented combat.

I've been playing a ton of destiny lately and a first person shooter works really well with the mmo community and looting aspects.

Dunno why they never did it.
Don't know much about Starcraft, but they'd have to find a way to justify classes with lots of abilities, weapons and so on, something that Starcraft seems to lack.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Don't know much about Starcraft, but they'd have to find a way to justify classes with lots of abilities, weapons and so on, something that Starcraft seems to lack.
You don't need to have many different abilities per class, you could have a couple of unique class abilities and then have everything else tied to weapon types like destiny.

Atomkilla

Arcane
I wouldn't want to see Blizzard killing another RTS series. SC2 may be shit when it comes to lore and such, but at least it's a relatively solid multiplayer RTS title. Since there probably won't ever be WC4, Blizzard should leave StarCraft the way it is and ever was...which is highly unlikely to happen.

Caim

Arcane
I wouldn't want to see Blizzard killing another RTS series. SC2 may be shit when it comes to lore and such, but at least it's a relatively solid multiplayer RTS title. Since there probably won't ever be WC4, Blizzard should leave StarCraft the way it is and ever was...which is highly unlikely to happen.
Well, they still gotta release StarCraft 2 Episode 3, so I'm curious when and if that's coming out.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I wouldn't hold your breath on there being a SC3. Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Overwatch will dominate their development time. All three are extremely cheap to produce and will rake in hundreds of millions. The profit margin is a lot higher than making games with one-time purchases and huge production values.

Caim

Arcane
I wouldn't hold your breath on there being a SC3. Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Overwatch will dominate their development time. All three are extremely cheap to produce and will rake in hundreds of millions. The profit margin is a lot higher than making games with one-time purchases and huge production values.
Foregoing spending time and money on developing a series that made the company great and instead spending it on f2p+microtransactions games that rake in millions.

Looks like Blizzard and Valve are rather alike.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, duh. Whatever core of people loving what they did and wanting to make games they'd want to play is long sincer withered and dead. The giant company that grew up around it wants to make money just like any other large company. If you make more money with less effort and risk doing F2P crap, then you'd be mind-bogglingly stupid not to. Face it, good games are a poor business decision.
:troll:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's blizzard, they can and will make unexpected decisions regarding their games, ghost and their sci-fi mmo are proof of that.

I think they still want to cater to their traditional market, and we will eventually see a SC3 or a new mmo.

Revenant

Blizzard will never make another MMO, not until WoW lies completely dead, which won't happen at least in 10 years from now. Creating inside competition for WoW would be an insane financial blunder, considering MMOs are extremely expensive to create. Plus, players will never be interested in MMOs as much as when WoW was released.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Blizzard will never make another MMO, not until WoW lies completely dead, which won't happen at least in 10 years from now. Creating inside competition for WoW would be an insane financial blunder, considering MMOs are extremely expensive to create. Plus, players will never be interested in MMOs as much as when WoW was released.

They were working on another mmo, the only canceled it because it was a development clusterfuck not because it would eat WoW's already plummeting numbers.

Revenant

That's what they say. Project Titan was probably never meant to be released, Blizzard just had to create an impression they were working on a new MMO because of public relations, as MMOs were all the rage in the time. Later, Project Titan was "scrapped", lol what a surprise

Caim

Arcane
If Blizzard were to release a new MMO though people would have to decide between either that or WoW to pay monthly fees for. But I don't think a lot of people will pay for both.

So what if WoW and that hypothetical new MMO ran on the same subscription? Would that work?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom