Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Don Peste

Arcane
Oh, Megagames still exist? Well it still looks better than RPS.

abija

Prophet
LOL. I understand that it is harder to unambiguously measure subscription numbers with the Token mechanism in action
I don't get this or the similar paragraph from the article. A token is the same as a 1 month sub (in fact a bit more), someone had to pay real money for that token. There's nothing ambiguous about measuring subs as far as tokens are concerned. Something like "accounts active at 15 sep 2015" is even less ambiguous.

It's simply the fact that they can't disguise anything as positive about WoW when they keep showing lower subs. And iirc that's what those reports usually are, global numbers and some positive highlights from various franchises.

Revenant

A token is the same as a 1 month sub (in fact a bit more), someone had to pay real money for that token.
1 token is equivalent to 1 month of sub but not equivalent to 1 subscriber, which is the case that matters.

abija

Prophet
I really don't get your point nor why would it be more ambiguous to count subs after tokens than before. For example how are tokens different from gametime cards you bought in stores?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I really don't get your point nor why would it be more ambiguous to count subs after tokens than before. For example how are tokens different from gametime cards you bought in stores?
people also buy tokens to turn an in-game profit, not just for game time.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
people also buy tokens to turn an in-game profit, not just for game time.

Sure, but even in those cases, presumably the tokens are redeemed by someone for game time. Money was paid for game time and is used (by someone) for game time. I'm not really sure what your point is. Like, you couldn't turn cash into game currency by buying tokens if there wasn't someone who wanted it for game time.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also, Blizz is announcing the expac should be released no later than September... which probably means July/August at best. So WOD was almost two years with less content. Amazing.

Revenant

Because a token sold is not necessarily instantly redeemed, and can be stocked up by the buyer up to 10 IIRC. Just as a game card that has been printed but sits on a store shelf for years also doesn't count as a "subscription" until it is actually used. Also, players can add up to 3 years of WoW game time to their account, I think, so in the extreme idealized case equating 1 token sale to 1 subscriber yields a result 46 times larger than the actual number of people using the token for game time, with the real number of token subscribers falling somewhere in between.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Sure, but even in those cases, presumably the tokens are redeemed by someone for game time. Money was paid for game time and is used (by someone) for game time. I'm not really sure what your point is. Like, you couldn't turn cash into game currency by buying tokens if there wasn't someone who wanted it for game time.
I don't think it's a 1:1 market, I think blizzard offers tokens besides the ones being sold by players. It's just that player-sold tokens bring the price down.

Israfael

Arcane
Tokens are a complicated matter:
1) first, it's more expensive than the game time - 20 jewgolds instead of 15, so it gives more profit to Blizzard than generic 1-month sub.
2) I don't think you can really compare prepaid cards to the tokens, as tokens are sold in-game, so all the revenue stays inside blizzard's pockets, 0% to pay to distributors and it doesn't really matter for them if the token is used or not - they already got their money. Although the true reason for its creation was probably to curb the gold sellers, whose population dwindled a bit in the last half-year.
So WOD was almost two years with less content. Amazing.
It certainly wins in the 'hype/promises delivered' contest. I think it's related to the fact that many major developers left mid-WoD production, including the crab, Pardo and who knows else.

Naraya

Arcane
And still, it never stops to amaze me that IT WON'T MATTER - people will still PRE-PURCHASE (bleh, I need to brush my teeth after this word) the next xpac. And the next one. And the next one.

You can call me paranoid but behaviour of wowdrones really resembles drug-addiction.

Revenant

I'm p. sure connecting to a private server is still against Blizzard's terms of service, whether the client is legal or not

Israfael

Arcane
Reverse-engineering something and modifying the intellectual property is afaik considered a breach of DMCA in the US, not sure about the other countries. In Russia, it's legal to reverse-engineer stuff in 'educational purposes', but not to make profits out of it, so all alternative servers that were made were created under auspices of developing 'massive distributed server-client network' (like MANGOS for example) or something like that. Blizzard could not stop the developers from creating those server software kits, but it banned the people who were collecting data for those projects.

abija

Prophet
Because a token sold is not necessarily instantly redeemed, and can be stocked up by the buyer up to 10 IIRC. Just as a game card that has been printed but sits on a store shelf for years also doesn't count as a "subscription" until it is actually used.
Gratz, you just proved my point. Token = game card, game cards were there from beginning so they can't use tokens as an excuse for sub numbers not being representative anymore.

Revenant

No, dumbass, tokens are different from cards in that you can only stock up a limited amount of them, unlike game cards which are hoarded by retailers.

EDIT: even if one would consider only redeemed game cards, these could be considered subscriptions, while a token bought can be never activated, if the buyer chooses so.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

Summer 2016 but thankfully the garrisons completely killed any interest I had in WoW for a long time.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I want to slap Sylvana's ass and say "Atta girl!"

Unwanted

Douchebag

Unwanted
Didn't think you could make a cinematic trailer this bad with so much budget.

It looks like Avengers. Helicopter ships, weightless action, Sylvanas jumping around and firing her bow like Hawkeye, godawful dialogue.

That narration was awful and literally starts out with "AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS" and bunch of other cliches like looking in a locket to see someone special etc. The elf lady fan service was kind of silly too. Then after all this silliness the ship falls and and the generic female chanting kicks in and I laughed audibly. Oh and then he uses THE POWER WITHIN to swim up and fight at the end, it's like they went to TV Tropes and just picked from a list of most popular action film cliches.
The focus is two celebrities of Azeroth posing for seconds like mannequins. Truly fit for the Kardashian generation.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
It looks like Avengers. Helicopter ships, weightless action, Sylvanas jumping around and firing her bow like Hawkeye, godawful dialogue.
Don't forget a beam of light shooting up in the sky. Well, I think Avengers had that thing too.

Caim

Arcane
It's like Burning Crusade II.

I sure hope so, because that was the last time WoW was good.

Avellion

Erudite
Looks like the areas in Legion will scale to your level.

While its nice that you will have plenty of endgame zones... it also makes me wonder why they even bothered increasing the level cap.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
That narration was awful and literally starts out with "AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS" and bunch of other cliches like looking in a locket to see someone special etc. .

Pretty sure that's the trailer of every WoW expansion ever. NEW HIGHER LEVEL EVIL AWAKENS!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom