Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's right and wrong with Twitcher 2

Captain Shrek

Last edited by a moderator:

Deakul

Augur
The Witcher does have a demo.

Anyways, I'd have to say that I absolutely hated the combat in the game.
But then again I really just can't stand QTEs of any sort in any game, it always disrupts the flow for me.

edit: Faggot edited the thread title.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I still haven't fully played The Witcher yet, so I still don't know that much about it..... :FearOfBoobieCards:

And yes, I actually own that book. It's a GREAT book to read at night if you can't sleep...

Black

Arcane
5) NO FUCKING DEMO
Fucking peasants.
I know what is wrong with TW2- it's starting to feel like another flavour of the month like da2, because morans can't keep it in one thread!!

Karmapowered

Augur
Captain Shrek said:
1) Simplified Alchemy (???)
Remains to be seen.
Watching a video of actual gameplay, the use of potions seemed more interesting than in TW, since we should be able to set ambushes, or be ambushed, with explosive traps (bombs), for example. Therefore, we could probably get around playing a more thief like Geralt this time.

2) Simplified inventory (??)
Where'd you get that from ?
If it means having to spend less time running back to the "bank" (chest at Inns), it would be a good thing in my book too.

3) Resting anywhere
That is actually an incline for me.
I play games to be fun.

4) QTEs in boss fights. I hope they are about manipulating environment and not actual combat.
They should be extremely limited, and only apply to major events.

According to the same video above, we should see them as alternative ways to achieve the same result : QTE to sneak past a guard, instead of bash/killing him, for example.

Stalin

Scholar
so is twicher like this then?
picture.jpg

Data4

Arcane
The main thing that bothers me is the dialogue choices. Having not played any of the MEs, and having decided not to fuck DA2 with Drog's dick and Volly doing the pushing, I don't have much experience with truncated dialogue choices. I'd prefer to see exactly what my character is going to say before picking and choosing.

As for the other things, including those mentioned in the other threads:

Voice acting: Deus Ex is one of my favorite games of all time, but it had atrocious voice acting. Sometimes, it was so bad it was good. In playing through TW1, I'm finding that it grows on me. The bad isn't horribly bad, and there are a few good instances. If it stays the same in TW2, it won't be a dealbreaker.

QTE combat: What I'd like is an option to avoid combat, but since a witcher is a monster slayer by trade, talking some 50 foot tentacle beast out of his aggression seems kinda stupid. So fighting is inevitable. I'm 50/50 on QTE. Sometimes, I've been able to get in the right rhythm and could decimate a group of monsters, while others, I'd be so off that I die within seconds of the fights starting. It's frustrating when that happens, but it's not a game breaker.

No potion quaffing mid-fight: I don't like this. The potion mechanic in TW1 has a downside with the toxicity, so you have to be careful how much you stack. Given that you have stun abilities, it's perfectly plausible for you to be able to grab a vial real quick while the foe is disoriented.

Inventory: As long as the mousewheel scrolls the list, it's not a problem for me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
QTEs aren't just for combat.
Further into the battle, it looked as if victory was just within our grasp. That is, until the dragon showed up. Obviously, it was going to take more than a few fireballs and a steel sword to topple this beast so we decided to flee. After dodging and weaving around a few deadly cones of fire, we found ourselves in an all-out mad dash back across the castle walls with the fire-breathing beast hot on our heels. This cinematic sequence was accented with a few quick time events as we ducked and dodged out of the way of its attacks. Finally, we managed to lodge our rusty sword in the creature's mouth and sent it packing, hopefully with a bad case of tetanus as well.
:yeah: that's some good role playing right there

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not combat because I don't consider "combat" running away in a scripted cutscene where dodging involves mashing some key when it flashes on screen.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Karmapowered said:
I play games to be fun.
Interface accessibility is the sole reason why games have declined to the point it is today.

When everything is suppose to be timesaving and have no difficulties to munch you tend to go against the resource constraint of RPG's.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's not combat because I don't consider "combat" running away in a scripted cutscene where dodging involves mashing some key when it flashes on screen."

That's combat.

a budda

Arbiter
yeah, actually the biggest gripe with witcher will be probably "dialogues" ("as of what we know now")
we knew the combat willbe shitty
we knew the character creation is restricted
and on and on, we're playing a witcher and if anyone cared to read a book or two it's so fucking hard a character to adapt him to a role-play it's close to not a role-play, actually if we care for role-play, it's NOT a role-play at all
it's just a rpg with a pre-created hero... like torment
m'kay... that was too far
but that's the story, that witcher is a fellow close to the PS:T creation, and what i CAN say is that you're really missing like 90% of the fun playing the game not having read the books... fucking simple, the 1st game was mediocre, but if you knew the lore... well, welcome to heaven, really, it's not the
shit, my gf just called and i forgot waht iwas saying and i need a pee, but think about it ;)

EDIT: that's the story with potato WDF

a budda

Arbiter
yeah, i'm back
really, i can't imagine you guys are playing the witcher not having read the books
REALLY
to tell you the truth, since like when the first stories apeared i thought it's a story for kiddies WTF? a witch - er ?? and looks like a fag with that pony-tail? NOOO... i'm 12 and reading adventure books like W. Ostrowski and stuff... thank you... and then... having been accustomed with "WHAT NOT" as we potatoes are... and about ten years into the story... i got my hands on it... and... fuck you joyce, lovecraft, faulkner (ok, no, faulkner can stay) - this guy can write... and how well he does it... (disclaimer: only the witcher saga and stories)
yeah... so that's about it
sapkowski created a brilliant character who tries to stay neutral and aside when the big wheel turns and draws any shit into the turn, and how he tries to resist and be true to his "monocle" values (saying this he is a "half-witcher" retaining his own opinion and stuffies)

shit, having proof-read the last sentence i concur, i'm too drunk, but guys, trust me, just read it

this particular witcher is the embodiment of codex, shame the game doesn't show it (well, the potato one does it sometimes)
the books do ;)

EDIT: yeah, why the fuck do i use it when drunk, shh... i'll try not to
and then, i'll try to to use Caps sometimes, now I see I've been a shitty poster when I can't read my own post... sincerely apologise, I've just been used to shitty one-liners and my beak is deep digging the sand at the moment.

a budda

Arbiter
mate, i'm really really sorry but if you think think conan it's totally not that way
really
not to be too big-worded, but as my last post evoked the names of Lovecraft or Faulkner... these are the places you should look for Sapkowski prose... and fuck if any potatoe here will object :)

seriously, that's the story with the witcher 1 sales, 30something years olds in potato and russia pre-ordered it ASAP on the basis that THAT kind of hero/story will never be bad (if the devs have read the book and they did)

seriously, not having read the books you're misssing like 90% of the lore and the books read like...

EDIT: shoo, really, go, do you have a better thing to do at the moment?

a budda

Arbiter
i DO LOVE Lovecraft
i love the witcher saga (stories are supposed to be read first)
you are going nowhere wrong honey
i'm not going to say shit, but there were lots of (mis)interpretations of these books around and... can I bet you'll have fun... and can I bet you'll agree with Lovecraft. Faulkner placing?

it's not Faulkner or Lovecraft of course, yeah, wuldn't make any sense mentioning the two anyway, shit, I'm confused
I mean the witcher saga (one book of stories to be read first) is completely an entity siting aside from the genre and (to an extent) laughing its pants (okay, I don't know if they say say it but now you know potatoes do it)

yes, funny I mention these two guys, okay, well, just read it and say WHAT"S WRONG
and yes, Lovecraftian was too much, actually I'd like to see someone prove anything Lovecraftian about Sapkowski (apart from running on the rooftops from multi-headed dicks or the (verily-founded) schizophrenia of the hero

fake EDIT: ok, I think you should really just give a try at these books, can't see you being disappointed in any way
and I really wonder if I would half enjoy the game without the books... I mean I still have some screenshots from the first game to show my friends that read the book and not played the game...
well, what is there to say, we potatoes will fight for it till they make This witcher untrue, the first game has done him okayish, with our lore it was v. good, we'll see now
and really, not having read the books you're playing whatever you're playing :)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Witcher has nowhere to go but up. I don't understand why it is constantly overrated here, especially by a lot of people who consider themselves 'old fags.' It is barely an ARPG. I mean, hell, just look at the number of 'improvements' the OP lists -- when you realize they were deficient/absent in the first I don't see how anyone thinks it was that good.

a budda

Arbiter
i think i mentioned this
it's pretty good despite being what it is because us potatoes love it for being quite a good work on the brilliant books
and it still is much better than anything AA or what that was trying to be sold to us n h recent years
and it has GFXs ;)

no, seriously, which game offered you a semi-seriou approach to serious problems without pressing the solution... yes, I agree, a bit too linear, but playing the game you had to "use your illusion" a few good times, can't think of any other game over the last few years (yeah, motb, but that was mostly over "to be a druggie or no")

Data4

Arcane
Metro said:
Witcher has nowhere to go but up. I don't understand why it is constantly overrated here, especially by a lot of people who consider themselves 'old fags.' It is barely an ARPG. I mean, hell, just look at the number of 'improvements' the OP lists -- when you realize they were deficient/absent in the first I don't see how anyone thinks it was that good.

It's more of an RPG than Deus Ex, and yet no one has a problem calling DE an RPG. The game isn't flawless, but certain attitudes and statements from CDP are endearing. They're primarily PC game developers. Console ports come AFTERwards. They don't make a fuss over DRM. They offer a game with real C&C and not some superficial crap a la Bioware.

The first game was a freshman release from a new developer, and having just completed it not a half hour ago, I can safely say that it was better than Dragon Age.

I have no problem supporting that kind of developer.

Oh, and in case anyone missed this the first time it was posted since You Tube took it down, some Russian bro has reposted it.

Naked Triss video.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I honestly wish they could drop the Geralt angle/Story tie-in with The Witcher, take a new Witcher, drop the stupid over sexed crap and focus on more story and setting.

They now are painting themselves into their own trapped corner and following the decline of BioWare's Dragon Age and will now not ever be able to escape from it.

tetsuo

Scholar
Jaesun said:
I honestly wish they could drop the Geralt angle/Story tie-in with The Witcher, take a new Witcher, drop the stupid over sexed crap and focus on more story and setting.

They now are painting themselves into their own trapped corner and following the decline of BioWare's Dragon Age and will now not ever be able to escape from it.

Over sexed? ya my ass, for stupid us moralfags maybe but here in europe we have
commercials on primetime tv showing more skin and sex then in the witcher so i cant see what is "over sexed" about the witcher but don't worry i bet it will be censored again in the us version and the finishing moves will be there in all their bloody glory .....

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Captain Shrek said:
Jaesun said:

I think the problem is the IP licence. It might be explicit in the will/licence of the author that Geralt be the primary protagonist of any of this IP's follow-ups.

Also, other reason may be that they don't want to piss the real fans off.
I think, if they'd strayed too far from the books, the fan's outrage could easily kill the game. Especially the first one. I can imagine many of these people, who have prised the Witcher out of proportion on various internet forums (I like the game, mind you fanboys ;) , but there were better ones), going balistic over how the game is shity shit, and how nobody shuld waste time on it. For a game from unknown developer, it could spell the death sentence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom