Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the hardest non reflex based game you played?

Arthandas

Prophet
Not excluding action games in overall, just those that rely on player's reflex to create difficulty, like for example bullet hell shmups or Devil May Cry clones.

I'll start with Desktop Dungeons which on later dungeons requires you to think like 10 moves ahead starting with turn 1. It's hard to explain this game's difficulty to someone who never played it but it's one of those games that really punishes the lack of foresight or thinking overall and rewards creativity and planning. Anyone who reached vicious level dungeons will know the joys of spending more time on calculations/theorycrafting than on actual gameplay.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Desktop Dungeons is definitely way up there. I'm convinced you're outright reliant on RNG for the hardest ones to even be possible; but there's definitely an immense skill ceiling there. Roguelikes in general are pretty difficult all around. If I were to single one out, IVAN seems like a special kind of nasty- even with obscene metagaming and luck, the game is still difficult to even finish normally. No idea how people attempt the alternate endings.

As for other genres... some difficulty based romhacks for console games would probably qualify, but I haven't actually gotten around to properly trying any of these. Well, aside from the ancient cave hack for FF5; but that turns the game into a roguelike of sorts.

Cassidy

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 on INSANE with counter-attacks everywhere enabled. Would probably be Wizardry IV instead were I a fan of blobbers.

Arthandas

Prophet
Desktop Dungeons is definitely way up there. I'm convinced you're outright reliant on RNG for the hardest ones to even be possible
Actually the game doesn't rely too much on RNG. Under normal circumstances the attacks never miss and damage is non random. The main variables are enemy placement, type of god's altar and equipment in shops (much of these can be offset by kingdom preparations).
If I were to single one out, IVAN seems like a special kind of nasty- even with obscene metagaming and luck, the game is still difficult to even finish normally. No idea how people attempt the alternate endings.
I heard about it and its hardcore damage system but never played it since the game is very unpolished and basically abandoned.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Desktop Dungeons is definitely way up there. I'm convinced you're outright reliant on RNG for the hardest ones to even be possible
Actually the game doesn't rely too much on RNG. Under normal circumstances the attacks never miss and damage is non random. The main variables are enemy placement, type of god's altar and equipment in shops (much of these can be offset by kingdom preparations).
If I were to single one out, IVAN seems like a special kind of nasty- even with obscene metagaming and luck, the game is still difficult to even finish normally. No idea how people attempt the alternate endings.
I heard about it and its hardcore damage system but never played it since the game is very unpolished and basically abandoned.
Enemy placement is a pretty huge one (I ended up surrendering after spending ages trying to beat a level that ends with a bullshit arena thing with 3 random enemies you have no way to prepare for) and god altars are a pretty big deal too, since you want as many as possible and of the right variety to get the most faith with the least consequences.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
RPG Codex.
RPG Codex is very easy. Just be sure to maintain 50-50 sarcasm and edginess ratio, spit diarrhea on everything that's not PST, pray daily to Brian Fargo and treat consoles as AIDS.

You still haven't come across special encounters - they usually boil down to an endless barrage of crazy ideologies and logical fallacies that are used by spending an infinite amount of autism points. The prescribed tactics you mentioned above will spare you of finding yourself in the torment of Prosperland, but every choice eventually leads to a failure state - true ending will only be achieved ones Cleve officially releases the full Grimoire to the public.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Deadly Rooms of Death: Architect's Edition.

Haven't played Desktop Dungeons, but the idea of needing to appease the RNG god doesn't exactly appeal to me in terms of "hardest game ever". DROD has none of that, it just lays down a challenge and dares you to accept it...and the Architect's Edition doesn't have any of the safety nets of the updated editions.

J1M

Arcane
The last two levels of SpaceChem are very difficult.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
wages of war or thunderscape

wages of war is some shitty ja1 clone

thunderscape is some old blobber from the mid 90s

i could probably beat those games if i played them today but they were hard as fk when i was 10 or so lol

Sothpaw

Learned
Cardhunter? Maybe BG2 with Tactics and Ascension enabled? Not sure. Was going to say Starcraft 2 and DOTA 2 then I read the thread title.

Fug

Educated
Gonna have to agree with you, IVAN and therefore CLIVAN are both incredibly difficult to actually succeed at, but it's still fun as fuck regardless. They're just incredibly random even for a roguelike, although it makes sense when the game is called 'A violent road to Death'.
My last best run was where I got so lucky that I found a broken arcanite helmet, and a scroll of golem creation. I had an arcanite golem in the very first floor of the game, and basically annihilated the rest of the game.

Norfleet

NYSE. It's not an easy game to win and the PvP is brutal, especially with all the botting.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Not a single mention of Knights of the Chalice?
Massive decline

Norfleet

Not a single mention of Knights of the Chalice?
Massive decline
Fah, KOTC was easy. I was doing an LP of that before everyone apparently lost interest in the thread because I bored them to death, and I couldn't find the thread anymore because it got buried. Every single situation seems to have the same solution: Bombardment. Pretty much every encounter involves some variation of "bombard with fireballs until all are dead". If someone finds the thread again, I could continue it with MORE FIRE.

But apparently, I am terribly boring at games.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Dig. Some of the puzzles... and without the help of internet.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Dust (Pył) from Optimus Nexus. It was called "Quake from Poland" but it was actually more like Thief. Ammo was really scarce, stimulants rare like Yeti in the desert.
What I never undestand was "why burst/series do less damage than single bullet?", I knew it was to encourage player to stop being trigger happy and be sure with every shot, but stll feels weird.

Which also remind me about Robinson's Requiem. So many ways to die...

Incubation was nice introduction to tactical games (like FFT but for people with weaboo allergy) but addon - Wilderness Mission is different, toughter kind of beast. Feels more like logic puzzles than tactical game where you shoot xenos. Xenos... and Space Hulk.

Arthandas

Prophet
The Dig. Some of the puzzles... and without the help of internet.
I played it like a month ago and eventually got bored. I don't think it was especially hard comparing to other p&c games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom