Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game should I play next?

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I prefer BG1 to BG2, but I know I'm in a minority. I wouldn't touch the Enhanced Edition (unless it's Icewind Dale) because it adds cancerous characters. There are a few mods that can be installed in a few minutes that do more or less the same job, if not better. A specific (non-graphic) mod I would install would be Sword Coast Stratagems, to improve enemies' AI behavior.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Fucking decline of BG recommendations :negative:

OP, play Arcanum. At least it has a turn-based mode.

Arcanum has a turn-based mode? So its both RTwP and turn based at the same time? Really? Thats amazing.

Shouldn't that be a standard feature in every crpg then? Seems like then everyone would always be happy because then they could pick the combat system that suits them.
From what I've heard (have no experience myself with Arcanum), it turned out pretty abysmal. However, MM6 does have a similar thing, and it turned out fine, so it must just have to do with the way that they handle it.

Tigranes

Arcane
You can't have two very different modes in the same system with a lot of problems, or a metric ton of work to overcome them. Arcanum ended up with many weird quirks and imbalances trying to make it happen on a smallish budget.

Arcanum isn't a game that will top any 'best games of' lists, because it's so eclectic, clumsy, and flawed - but it will still be the game that many hardcore fans of the genre hold up as special.

BG1-2 is probably the best "do everything pretty well" spokesperson title for that period of CRPGs.

Don't touch the idiotic enhanced editions, just spend 20 minutes installing widescreen mods and the fan bug fixes and get to it on the vanilla. Do you want to play the CRPGs that became classics with a minimum of modern conveniences, or do you want to play some version messed with 20 years later by a bunch of people, many of whom who have never made a good CRPG before, who just wanted to sell it for twice the price?

Shilandra

Learned
You can't have two very different modes in the same system with a lot of problems, or a metric ton of work to overcome them. Arcanum ended up with many weird quirks and imbalances trying to make it happen on a smallish budget.

Arcanum isn't a game that will top any 'best games of' lists, because it's so eclectic, clumsy, and flawed - but it will still be the game that many hardcore fans of the genre hold up as special.

BG1-2 is probably the best "do everything pretty well" spokesperson title for that period of CRPGs.

Don't touch the idiotic enhanced editions, just spend 20 minutes installing widescreen mods and the fan bug fixes and get to it on the vanilla. Do you want to play the CRPGs that became classics with a minimum of modern conveniences, or do you want to play some version messed with 20 years later by a bunch of people, many of whom who have never made a good CRPG before, who just wanted to sell it for twice the price?

So what mods do you recommend for BG2? Just basic stuff like the widescreen mod and bugfixes is what I should get if I want the vanilla experience? Without the new companions (And new dialogue im assuming?)

Lhynn

Arcane
Arcanums attention to detail and character system are amazing, truly unique and great, it has a ton of quality content too, biggest problem it faces is the abysmal combat.

deranged

Cipher
I actually do really like DnD, mostly as a setting. Planescape made me truly fall in love with the setting though, especially anything having to do with the planes and the general cosmology of the DnD universe. I'd be fine if it didn't have much to do with the planes themselves and was more of a general DnD setting but if what you said is anything to go by there should be plenty there for me to love.

Funnily enough I tried playing Neverwinter nights 2 but I felt like I should play the original campaign before MOTB and I never was able to get into it. Should I give MOTB a try after BG2 instead of trying to go through the original campaign?

The NWN2 OC is not too bad, but it is a bit cheesy. Apart from the purpose of familiarising yourself with the NWN2 engine and some -very few and largely irrelevant- references to the original campaign you can safely start MOTB with a new character. You'll need some time to get used to the, admittedly, horrific camera but it's worth the effort. The companions, C&C and story are simply amazing.

Shilandra

Learned
So what mods do you recommend for BG2?
Saerileth and romantic encounters, you dont need anything else really.

Okay, so im looking on gog and they seem to only have the enhanced editions. Do you know where I can find the originals?

I actually do really like DnD, mostly as a setting. Planescape made me truly fall in love with the setting though, especially anything having to do with the planes and the general cosmology of the DnD universe. I'd be fine if it didn't have much to do with the planes themselves and was more of a general DnD setting but if what you said is anything to go by there should be plenty there for me to love.

Funnily enough I tried playing Neverwinter nights 2 but I felt like I should play the original campaign before MOTB and I never was able to get into it. Should I give MOTB a try after BG2 instead of trying to go through the original campaign?

The NWN2 OC is not too bad, but it is a bit cheesy. Apart from the purpose of familiarising yourself with the NWN2 engine and some -very few and largely irrelevant- references to the original campaign you can safely start MOTB with a new character. You'll need some time to get used to the, admittedly, horrific camera but it's worth the effort. The companions, C&C and story are simply amazing.

Ill definitely look into it then.

Lhynn

Arcane
Okay, so im looking on gog and they seem to only have the enhanced editions. Do you know where I can find the originals?
Amazon or ebay i guess. Tbh pirating them would be a better idea, beamdog isnt interesting in selling the original version and instead wants to push their own, so its their loss, as original versions are basically abandonware.
Was joking about those mods btw, all you really want is sword coast stratagems if you are looking for a challenge, but would recommend a vanilla run first.
You could also go the big world route, a mod that merges BG 1, TSC, 2 and throne of ball into one game. Its really great if you can get it to work right (which isnt all that hard and i believe you can download the game already modded with it).

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
When you get the EE of BG from GOG, you get BG OE. You can also get a disc copy from Amazon quite cheap, I was able to get Icewind Dale Trilogy and PS:T for less than the cost of one EE.

Neanderthal

Arcane
BG is a glorified ARPG really
How is it a glorified ARPG except for not being like muh Ultima?

FTFY.

Nah seriously, almost entirety o gameplay is combat focused, or related. Not sayin its bad, its one o better modern ARPGs, an its a bloody good adaptation o AD&D 2nd ed rules. Pretty, intuitive an atmospheric but it were a sign o things to come.

Tigranes

Arcane

So what mods do you recommend for BG2? Just basic stuff like the widescreen mod and bugfixes is what I should get if I want the vanilla experience? Without the new companions (And new dialogue im assuming?)

Yes. Re: companions, well, do you want to participate in mostly badly written fan fiction wet dreams / power fantasies of random modders?

Shilandra

Learned
Alright, I've got BG 2 complete and the basic mods installed. Which campaign should I start with, SoA or ToB?

Zanzoken

Arcane
Install Arcanum and spend 2 hours creating your character. Then uninstall because the fun part is over.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Arcanums attention to detail and character system are amazing, truly unique and great, it has a ton of quality content too, biggest problem it faces is the abysmal combat.
That's very true.

I would say that Arcanum is the better game. The settings, world and it's lore are superb. It nearly rivals the likes of PS:T or Fallout in atmosphere. The character creating and development system are also great... as well as the integration of crafting (technology) and magic. Sadly it all falls apart in combat, which is a giant unbalanced mess, regardless if turn based or real time based. Well, at least it kinda becomes a joke once you've acquired some sickly overpowered spells/artifacts/inventions. There are technology weapons that one-hit most opponents and spells plus magic items that let you attack 20+ times per round. Fun for a very short while, but ultimately long, boring, painful slog.

On the other hand the comparison of Baldur's Gate 2 to a huge DnD theme park is very accurate.
Combat is the highlight of this game, actually the adaptation of the spell system and spell combat, as melee is very simplistic. But the spell system is next to none.
As well as a wide range of creatures and adventurers you face. And the scope of the whole thing.

Might & Magic 3-5 & X
Fixed. :troll:
Blobbers which try to emulate free roam movement are an abomination and should burn!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

OMG! I've been uncovered!

Btw. I didn't try to belittle Arcanum, I love this game and rank it very high. Only it's combat system is beyond saving. And it happens to be an important system in a cRPG.

Kahr

Skip both. Also skip the second half of BG2. Skip it all. You don't have time for it anyway. So many games so few time.
So skip it. Or pretend that it's shit, so you don't need to waste your time to this crap. Then give your full time to shitposting on the internet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom