Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game should I play next?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Arcanum (...) it will still be the game that many hardcore fans of the genre hold up as special.
Is that what people actually believe?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think Arcanum is pretty crap. BG has decent story and characters if you like that sorta thing, but the combat is really terrible imo. You spend a large part of the game just selecting all your guys and clicking on a wolf or something for them to bash it to death. Really shit. Baldurs Gate 2 is a completely different experience though, because it uses much higher level characters so you have a big selection of spells etc. It is a really good game. Maybe also try Summoner / Summoner 2. And if you enjoyed BG2, you could play the whole Neverwinter Nights series. The first game has 2 expansions and then NWN2 has some too. Also regarding Wizardy 8, don't believe the hype imo. It seems like a tactical RPG players dream at first, but it just becomes so repetitive and grindy and tedious. I feel pretty much the same about Might & Magic series. I am one of the few people who liked M&M X: Legacy, though. I think it would be a great place to start for someone who hadn't played the series.

Shilandra

Learned
Okay reviving this thread a bit with some questions.

I decided to do a lawful evil playthrough for this game. I dont do evil playthroughs much, if at all, so its a bit confusing which options are the evil options. For example, just going through jon's dungeon im presented with several quests like reive and the dryads and the genie. And the only evil options im really seeing basically boil down to "Dont take the quest." That seems a bit strange and wont I miss out a ton of experience and be underleveled throughout the game If I can never complete quests because im trying to roleplay as an evil character?

One of the exceptions seems to be the genie since you can try to kill him instead of help but I dont know if my team would be able to take on an all powerful being like that right at the beginning of the game so the only other options are help him or walk away?

Obvious the tutorial would be more limited than the rest of the game. But I still feel like I should ask before I get to deep into it if the game supports evil playthroughs particularly well. I've also given my character high charisma since i love to play high charisma characters. Will specing into that stat conflict with an evil playthrough in any way? I ask because, in my experience, charisma based characters tend to be more about avoiding conflict and talking people down and bringing them together than anything particularly evil or nasty.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, unfortunately BG2 is not a very good choice for an evil playthrough. There are very few points in the game where you can actually choose to be evil and even then the rewards you get from it are usually inferior. Mostly you are forced to play the game the same way you would if you played with a good protagonist. Charisma doesn't affect more than shop prizes to my knowledge.

Also as I mentioned in the post above, you might want to check out MotB. Allowing you to play the game as an evil character is another thing it does exceptionally well.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
There are opportunities to roleplay evil, but only occasionally.

Charisma affects party morale and shop prices, but nothing else beyond that. It's a dump stat.

There aren't many games that allow evil playthroughs, and when they do it's cartoon evil shit.

nomask7

Arcane
Yeah, unfortunately BG2 is not a very good choice for an evil playthrough. There are very few points in the game where you can actually choose to be evil and even then the rewards you get from it are usually inferior. Mostly you are forced to play the game the same way you would if you played with a good protagonist. Charisma doesn't affect more than shop prizes to my knowledge.

Also as I mentioned in the post above, you might want to check out MotB. Allowing you to play the game as an evil character is another thing it does exceptionally well.

But MotB is more fun if you try to be good, then succumb to hunger and eat souls to survive, experience betrayal and bitterness as your do-gooder lover abandons you, descend into evil and madness.

Lhynn

Arcane
Why would you play as evil? real lyfe has you playing the part often enough for you to want to play the game as one too.

Shilandra

Learned
Why would you play as evil? real lyfe has you playing the part often enough for you to want to play the game as one too.
Just wanted to try something different and get out of my comfort zone.

Though MotB is turning out to be much better in this regard than BG2. There's just so many evil choices to make both in dialogue and the game world and companions, hubs, and the world all change and react to it. Its fantastic and I basically got to roleplay an aasimir being corrupted by evil and the hunger which is something I've always wanted to see. Plus its so much more interesting and engaging than the OC. I played the OC a long time ago but couldn't really get into it so I just wrote off the whole game. But im having a great time with MotB.

Didn't think I would end up playing neither of the two games I asked about here. Guess thats just how the cookie crumbles.

Beastro

Arcane
Arcanums attention to detail and character system are amazing, truly unique and great, it has a ton of quality content too, biggest problem it faces is the abysmal combat.

Only problem with the detail is much of it's tied into different choices/reactions throughout the game, and if you play through it without being aware of it the game feels very short and kind of empty in many places.

That's where the bad combat and other issues come in, since it's not a game many feel like replaying to find that out.

The NWN2 OC is not too bad
Oh god, yes it is. I why do you make me recall that experience? why would you do that?
Its the particular brand of bland that only obsidian Josh Sawyer can pull off.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Wizardry 8 is p. gud
But combat is damn sloooowwwww
Get the Wiz8fastmod then

It's slow but not only in terms of animation.
The "tactical" nature of combat of this game has slowed it down more than the animations. Instead of clicking to fight 5 scorpions like previous Wizardry games, you have to choose one of the 5 scorpions. This hardly can be fixed with mods.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Instead of clicking to fight 5 scorpions like previous Wizardry games, you have to choose one of the 5 scorpions. This hardly can be fixed with mods.

I think Arcanum is pretty crap. BG has decent story and characters if you like that sorta thing, but the combat is really terrible imo. You spend a large part of the game just selecting all your guys and clicking on a wolf or something for them to bash it to death.

:nocountryforshitposters:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom