Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people from RPG Codex hate video games?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Gosh those Gamespot guys are fascists like in the movie 300.

psycojester

Arbiter
Codexers use logic and cogent thought when arguing (well some of us do) Thats against the rules on Gamespot

The_Pope

Scholar
I can understand why. If someone started an internet meme of rational thought, they'd lose all their readers.

Hazelnut

Erudite
psycojester said:
Codexers use logic and cogent thought when arguing (well some of us do) Thats against the rules on Gamespot

Yup, they seem to consider it 'flaming' for some reason...

raziel014

Novice
:) You guys should have one thing. You have a pretty good sense of humor actually and that's good though. :D

Mr Happy

Scholar
Damn! Well I guess you can kinda combine them into one mega-excursion based on cultural connections :salute:

edit: BTW, we should get an actual :salute: smily in our emotional repertoire, thus moving our discussions away from having to read and choose responses and towards an innovative system a la Mass Effect:

Poster 1: :cry:
Poster2: :?:
Poster 3: I gave you an order!
Poster4 : :salute:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
icon_salut.gif

Mr Happy

Scholar
Yea, like that, except that it is a bit of a chore to go delving into the depth DAC every time you want some decent smilies :dinosaur:

Dpayne

Scholar
I thought that thread was interesting because in some ways I agree with both sides although you guys certainly articulated yourselves far better.

What I wanted to point out if the thread hadn't been locked for some reason (I didn't see any flaming it was very confusing) was that I find it interesting that while other game genres are doing their best to pick up the traits of rpgs, rpgs themselves are straying farther and farther from their roots (and not necessarily in a good war).

I think Oblivion is a great example. I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but I agree with you in that as an RPG it's hardly the pinnacle that many reviews claimed it to be ( it's much stronger as an action game with RPG elements). Choosing whether to stab my enemy or shoot him with a bow is hardly a choice in the rpg sense, but as you argued choosing whether to talk my way out of it, bribe them, or coerce them in some way is a different choice. This was a problem that permeated through a lot of the game. It was one of the reasons I got bored on the Assassin line of quests. They were very cut and dry, and frankly very boring because of that. The game sacrificed these rpg elements to be more action oriented, and to give an experience with a broader appeal which seemed unnecessary in a lot of ways. Additionally, combat could have maintained the same pace, but why not include a to hit role with every slash or bow shot?

I will say that I do think graphics matter to a degree though, or at the very least as long as gameplay isn't sacrificed we shouldn't skimp on graphics. I guess I'm not really making a point here, but bad graphics can detract from a gaming experience (I tend to judge older games on a different scale than newer games, for me the graphics for Planescape Torment are still gorgeous). I would also say the same of story and setting. One of the reasons Oblivion wasn't the be all end all game for me was the simple fact that the story was contrived and the setting was incredible bland. Both of these aspects were one of the reasons that the Fallout games, Planescape Torment and Arcanum (which I'm not as big a fan of because the lack of balance, but it's still a very good game in a lot of regards and the setting is amazing) are all such incredible and classic rpgs. Each one is unique and intersting, and does more than just have us run up and stab a demon in the face.

I'm mindlessly rambling now from lack of sleep, but I think in a lot of ways I agree with you because game companies really aren't trying to appeal to long time and hardcore gamers anymore. Despite the fact that we were the ones who kept these companies afloat for years, and hold these franchises in high regards, we're being pushed off to the side so a ten year old and Billy Fratrat can kill stuff on their XBox. Be it console or PC, the original gamers seem to hardly matter now.

That's the end of the unnecessarily long first post.

Ladonna

Arcane
Our problem is that we are genre lovers. We love an RPG, not an RPG/FPS/Strategy/Barbie dressups simulator with gorgous graphics and fuckall else game.

Some here love FPS. Others love Wargames, or flight sims, or whatever else you like. But the newer games are generally gender bending, flip flopping, everyperson games that leave a bad taste in your mouth. A game for all weather apparently. More like horseshit in my opinion.

Apart from your filth about Arcanum, I generally agree with you.

Welcome to the Codex.

Amasius

Augur
Ladonna, he is right about Arcanum - the balancing is bad and so is the combat. It's everything else that is amazing. ;)

Dpayne, there are no unnecessarily long posts on the codex as long as the post has substance and you don't repeat yourself. So welcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom