Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WiLD, Michael Ancel's new open world survival game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trying to pull a Carmack? http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/31/5956837/michel-ancel-wild-sheep-studio-ubisoft

Renowned game designer Michel Ancel is one of the co-founders of Wild Sheep Studio, a new independent developer, and he will continue in his current role at Ubisoft while working at Wild Sheep, the latter company announced today.

Wild Sheep Studio is based in Montpellier, France — the same location of Ancel's longtime home, Ubisoft Montpellier. According to a press release from Wild Sheep, Ancel is working there with "a team of experienced developers" on an original game. The studio gave no further details, but released the team photo above, which features 13 individuals (Ancel is in the center, wearing the partially buttoned shirt).

Ancel has spent nearly 25 years at Ubisoft. Reached for comment, a Ubisoft representative sent Polygon a statement from Xavier Poix, managing director of the company's studios in Montpellier; Paris; and Annecy, France.

"Ubisoft Montpellier is a hotbed for artistic game development, including great games like Rayman, Beyond Good and Evil, and Valiant Hearts," said Poix. "We are fortunate to have some of the industry's finest talents, including Michel Ancel, working with us at our studio."

Poix added that Ancel's ongoing role at Ubisoft Montpellier will be to lead the creative development of "select projects," including "an extremely ambitious new title that is very close to his and the team's heart."

It's possible that Poix was referring to Beyond Good & Evil 2, which Ubisoft officially announced years ago but about which the publisher has revealed little since then. Last summer, Ancel said he and his team wanted to "try again" at making the game, since it was too ambitious for the existing consoles and would be better suited to the new ones.

Update: Asked specifically about Beyond Good & Evil 2, a Ubisoft spokesperson provided the following statement.

"In many ways, [Beyond Good & Evil] is an inimitable game — it appeals to all generations of gamers and is an inspiration behind many of Ubisoft Montpellier's past and future games," the representative said. "It's still far too early to give many details about this new title, but what we can say is that while Michel and the team at Ubisoft Montpellier are working with the core tenets of BG&E, they're developing something that aspires to push past the boundaries of a proverbial sequel and leverages next-gen technologies to deliver a truly surprising, innovative and exceptional game. The entire team is excited about the direction this extremely ambitious project is taking, and we'll have more to share later, as it progresses."

The original Beyond Good & Evil debuted in 2003 on GameCube, PlayStation 2, Windows PC and Xbox.

There's also some new info about Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, that was quick: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/08/12/introducing-ps4-exclusive-wild/

Introducing PS4 Exclusive WiLD
Posted by Michel Ancel on Aug 12, 2014 // Founder, Wild Sheep

Hello PlayStation.Blog! My name is Michel Ancel, you might know me best as the creator of the Rayman series, and Beyond Good & Evil for Ubisoft. Recently, I co-founded a new independent game studio in Montpellier, France along with a bunch of very talented guys and gals. We call ourselves Wild Sheep and together we are working on an exciting new game called… WiLD (working title).

When we started working on WiLD we wanted to make sure that we would have fun playing our own game even after months and months of development! This is the reason why the world of WiLD is the size of Europe, with dynamic weather and seasons, and filled with interactive opportunities that feel endless.

Every time you play you’ll discover new things, even in the same place as before. But… the best feature came from our prototyping phase when we started playing as wolves, horses, sheep and… even trout! So we decided that in WiLD every creature should be playable, even the giant and dangerous ones!

All these features combined, open so many new gameplay situations, especially when playing online. How you approach the game is up to you, what you do and even what you are – it’s all up to you.

On the tech side, because WiLD is created exclusively for PlayStation 4, the game will use the full power of the console and all its crazy sharing capabilities.

It’s early days still, so that’s all we can tell you at the moment. We hope you like it, and we can’t wait to tell you more soon.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom