Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Witch's Wake part 1 review

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Neverwinter Nights: Witch's Wake

We have posted a <A href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=30">review</a> of the recent, official <a href="http://www.bioware.com">BioWare</a> + fan created module, <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/module_witchwakeabout.html">Witch's Wake</a> which <b>Mistress</b> had the pleasure of doing. Here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The main plot device in "The Fields of Battle? is that of amnesia. The game commences with your character lying, barely conscious and near death, on the ground, while battle wages around you. You awake the next morning, to find yourself surrounded by the bodies of your fallen comrades, with an old woman attempting to remove your finger. All you remember is a message you have for the king. Not that you know who the king is of course, or to what the message relates. Only that you must take the message to the king, wherever he may be. To say that the game lost me at this point would be unfair, it never really had me. The story comes off as rather cheesy, and is poorly and clumsily introduced. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I gave it about 25 minutes. Then <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com">NWN</a> locked up. Then I uninstalled it.

Deathy

Liturgist
No, it's more of a thing for hating BioWare, and with good reason, too.
Oh, and even a greater thing for hating their idiotic fanboys. It's one thing to make and sell dog shit and tell everyone that it's chocolate. But to buy it, eat it, and say that it's chocolate is even worse.

andrewsk

Novice
Did you hate BG and BG2 as well? What was wrong with them? Perhaps you would like to tell me about a better RPG. Prince of Qin? Ya now THATS an RPG. That english translation is stunning as well.

NWN may not liveup to the hype, but some of the user made mods are very well done. It is by no means my favorite RPG but it is not total shit like this site makes it out to be.

Deathy

Liturgist
andrewsk said:
Did you hate BG and BG2 as well? What was wrong with them?
Linear as fuck, boring and cliched stories, annoying NPC's, Control of NPC companions, shitty combat system and a large number of incredibly stupid design decisions.
Perhaps you would like to tell me about a better RPG.
Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape Torment, Geneforge, the Avernum series, Morrowind, Prelude to Darkness, Arcanum and quite a number of old CRPG's.
NWN may not liveup to the hype, but some of the user made mods are very well done.
Your point being?
It is by no means my favorite RPG but it is not total shit like this site makes it out to be.
Yes, it is.
Every shitty design element from the BG series, and a couple of new ones for good measure.

andrewsk

Novice
Well I agree with all the good RPG's you listed. BG2 is not THAT different from Planescape though. I like the NPC's in BG2. Too each his own.

My point about the good NWN modules kind of makes itself does it not? There are some very well done stories available for download but you and this site seem intent on just slamming it. What if you found a really good module that had a lot of the RPG aspects you were looking for? Would you change your mind? I bet not. You are like an ANTI NWN fanboy.

Anyway, who really cares what you or I think. NWN is a big hit and your gonna see more of it, like it or not. I have high hopes for the Temple of Elemental Evil, Gothic 2, Sea Dogs 2, Lionheart, Black Isles BG3, KOTOR and the NWN expansions.

Deathy

Liturgist
Are you saying that NWN is a good game because there is an editor?
That BioWare deserves credit for was is essentially the work of someone else?
BioWare made a game that happened to have a toolset, the toolset and mods that have been made are definitely not part of what should base a judgement of the game on.

I dislike it, but I know we are going to see more Baldurs Gate clones, from Bioware, BIS and other developers.
However, we are also going to see a lot of interesting CRPG's too, which is what this site is trying to cover.

And to drive that home, we have an anti-NWN/BG Clone approach to things, simply because this site stands against that type of mass market games.

Mistress

Liturgist
andrewsk said:
My point about the good NWN modules kind of makes itself does it not? There are some very well done stories available for download but you and this site seem intent on just slamming it. What if you found a really good module that had a lot of the RPG aspects you were looking for? Would you change your mind? I bet not. You are like an ANTI NWN fanboy.

Well, currently, I'm on the lookout for a good NWN module that I can lavish praise upon. I'd love to play a good NWN module, I'd love it if the Witch's Wake series continued to improve, given that the improvements made using user created modifications were nice to see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom