Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empire - Staff of Resurection English translation project for Game Boy Color!!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
rainponcho

Also, you can take creative license if you want to avoid abbreviations.

A fire elemental can be renamed to:

- Flame Being
- Fire Spirit

etc. Only the extremely autistic will bitch about this. I'm of the school of thought that it's better to change a text string to something shorters but generic, than to abbreivate.

post a link to whatever patch is most recent, either you or MrRichard999, and I'll start a playthrough right now.

EDIT: Also, the screenshot where Marty is attacking the Shadow... the blank space in between is inexcusable. Even a simple asterisk to denote that something is happning would be better.

rainponcho

Literate
I think we currently have 12-13 letter monster names. Some abbreviations. The Shadow bug... no idea why it printed a blank.

If you go to page1 and click the rhdn link, that's mostly up-to-date minus the extra quibs brought up very recently. Current wip needs more fixing - whole patch is a glass house of cards right now.

When it comes to renaming, I usually defer to others to make the final say. May need more than 1 opinion on this area.

edit: And for future reference, already changed EXP => E.P. + Intelligence => I.Q. I read some explanations on why it's this way, just as G = Gil in older Final Fantasy games. They're measured that way, just like an Empire year is 360 days and not 365 days (asm checked this).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Here are screenshots of the fan-translations of the Game Boy Color ports of Wizardry 1. You can use these as reference, maybe?

Don't know who did them but they did a good job.

635582-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

629680-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.jpg

629666-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

629668-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

(In this specific screenshot below the sub-menu is obscuring the last letters of the item names)
629683-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

629673-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

635589-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

(In the specific screenshot below the option to play in Wireframe Mode is enabled)
635586-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

629681-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

629681-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

629664-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

629668-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

629683-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-game-boy-color.png

hqdefault.jpg

Wizardry%201_Nov15%2019_35_18.png

Wizardry%201_Nov15%2019_35_31.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Note that there is never a need to be as wordy as possible.

For example, in the original Wizardry titles when you encountered stairs all it said was:

- There are stairs leading up -- Take them? Yes / No

However you can see that whoever did the fan-translation of this Wizardry decided to make a very long sentence about climbing some stairs. The same applies to the message about invoking the item's special property-- in the original scenarios on DOS/Apple II the message was not as verbose.

If you can't fit the battle feedback text I recommend using a simple template:

Enemy [ASCII character] Player Character
[Amount] DMG!

if it is a miss:

Enemy [ASCII character] Player Character
Missed!

if it is a spell:

Player Character [ASCII character] DIOS
3 HP!

if the spell is resisted:

Enemy [ASCII character] TILTOWAIT
Player Character [ASCII character] 10 DMG!
Player Character [ASCII character] unaffected!

This is all assuming you can't fit the battle text, of course.

EDIT: In fact, you could use the sword icon from the weapon itself as the ASCII character signifying an attack, and use the scroll icon to signify a spell casting!

Last edited:

rainponcho

Literate
If it gets that desperate, I could resort to those tricks. Although newbies (me) to the series won't have a clue what a CALFO or TILTOWAIT means (and lazy to look it up).

Empire 1/2 translator did a nice job overall. Moving everything around to fit them is when the game starts not being nice and wants to punish you. Overlapping windows is not always doable.

When you try out the patch, you'll get how the UI layout is adjusted from the typical Wizardry (Gaiden). Which I'm still working out a patch.

rainponcho

Literate
Okay. Minor delay added. This is one area I'm going to have problems with so please bear with me.

Going to (try) installing the standard Wizardry spell names: BADIOS, DIOS, TILTOWAIT, CALFO. Etc. Versus the translated ones.

I think this covers (most?) of the Priest + Mage spells.
http://www.tk421.net/wizardry/wiz15spells.shtml

Are there any official lists for the Avenger, Musashi, Kunoichi, Summoner ones?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wtf are avenger and musashi? i guess they must specific classes to the game boy "version" of the Wiz Empire series; although the sixtuplet of 'Empire Wiz games are all made by same devs: Starfish studios.

The following assumptions i'll type below this sentence will be predicated on the simple and logical conclusion that: Starfish kept spell schools and classes the same, or "pretty much the same". I know, for example, the 3 Empire Wiz games on GB/GBC feature the same Races as the 3 Empire Wiz games on PC/PSP.

So, having said that...

Kunoichi normally get access to Alchemi spells in the Wizardry Empire series on PC/PSP/PS1; and since this is from same devs, in the console Empire series there is a martial class called "BERSERKER", which MIGHT be the same thing as the "Avenger" you are talking about.

MIGHT be. To me... it makes sense. Same devs, same series, similar sounding names. Anyway, the BERSERKER class in Empire series on consoles/PC get access to special-Berserker spells, i think they get 4 of them. More like attack moves really than spells.

Mage and Cleric spells are all named the same in all variations of Wizardry so that list you are using (i've referenced it myself) is all you will need for those two spell schools.

The Psionics and Alchemy spell schools, AND also the Summoner class and their "Contract/Summon" spells, were added simultaenously to the Wiz GAIDEN series of games (3 on GB/GBC, 1 on SNES, 1 on PS1, and 2 on PS2 as of 2017), AAAND also added to the Wiz EMPIRE series of games (3 on GB/GBC, 2 on PC and the 3rd one on PSP/PS2 exclusively).

I haven't played most of the GAIDEN Wiz games, but from what I have played (Gaiden 4 and Gaiden 6, respectively), it seems apparent that both GAIDEN + EMPIRE series kept the naming conventions the same, or as close as possible to the same, for the PSIONICS/Alchemy spell schools.

So, I'm saying in a long-winded fashion: I'm certain you can simply use the names of the spells for the PSI/ALC schools in this GAIDEN game you're working on; i.e. take the namings from the PC Empire Wiz games, Emp 1 and Emp 2.

(Just go straight to Emp 2, the one Richard translated, no need to check both). Of course, the 3rd counts too, but it's not translated into english, so the spells are all romaji nonsense.

Summoner gets, again (in console/PC series version of Wiz Empire games): summoners get access to 3 of the 4 spell schools; they get Cleric spells, Mage spells, and Psionic spells. Obviously they also get the 4th "school", which is being able to cast a "Summoning" spell and being able to cast a "Contract" spell.

EDIT: So, I'm almost sure "Avenger" has to be a class equivalent to the console Empire Wiz series' "Berserker" class, or if not the same then similar; but no idea what Musashi class must be: obviously it is probably the highest-tier class for Samurais to upgrade to. I mean, what else would it be?

Traditionally Sammies get access to MAGE spells, so stands to reason Musashi do as well. Mage/Cleric spell names are set in stone and don't change for any reason, so you'll have no problem naming those.

rainponcho

Literate
Okay.. interesting. Leads to more questions.

http://www.angelfire.com/ult/ace/WZD_EMP_FnT_bestiary.html

If you check out the special spells: Valiant, Avenger, Musashi, Kunoichi - I'm not convinced yet they have Wizardry I-V style equivalent names. There are many variations on the same type of spells and glossing over the Empire2 PC exe, I'd still need a -full- list constructed by someone else. Maybe they do match up somehow but I'm not able to fill the holes in my list.

And as a side-thought, why does official English Wizardry VI-VIII use normal style names?
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=1803
http://arek.paranoya.info/wiz7/menus/menu_spells.html
http://www.jeffludwig.com/wizardry8/spelllist.php

I'm starting to get really ~mad~ right now. If we do resort back to 'translated' names, I mightest as well tweak the work I've done on expanding that window... And I don't want a bunch of made-up spell names just to fit 1980s style. Nor am I going mixed-mode with the naming (Dios, Abandon, Astral Gate, Mahaman).

One or the other. Help?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom