Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Angthoron

Arcane
To be completely fair, Wolf 3D wasn't exactly a 70-hour game either.

However, it was a p. great game for its time.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Wouldn't mind a sequel to Wolf3d. Proper Nazi complex built into an ancient castle, the tiniest hint of ancient evil mingled with good ol' nazi cruelty in a free-to-roam labyrinthine environment. And no cutscenes pls.

I've been watching some LP videos and... the German voice acting in English version sounds far better than the German voice acting in German localisation. Pathetic. I'm guessing this is because the team responsible for the default (English) voice acting had a real budget to blow on quality voice actors while the budgets for localisations were a beggar's handful.

Supermedo

Augur
Is M-M-M-m-m-mega TEXTURES !! any better or the game world looks like pixslated shit like RAGE.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Intel Core i7-4960X @3.6GHz
4 nVidia GTX Titans
64GB DDR3 RAM
2560x1440 resolution, all settings on maximum

And the game still has extreme texture streaming problems. What a joke of an engine.

abija

Prophet
I had 0 texture streaming issues on a 3GB amd card with settings on ultra (not the everything maxed custom), at least the 3-4 levels I played.
Watched 2 mins of that video, not exactly what I would call severe streaming issues, only noticed the effect twice.

The engine is shit, but it's far from being the real issue with this game. If it would run at 300 fps with perfect textures all the next gen crap and cringe worthy story/cutscenes would still be there.

Does this engine even use SLI/Crossfire?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Probably the same as Rage, some people will have no texture issues and others will have massive texture issues and who knows why.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/05/28/wol...t-has-been-pirated-over-100000-times-already/

Now, TorrentFreak reports that the shooter has been downloaded illegally over 100,000 times already, and that’s no small feat considering it weighs in at 43.65 gb.

It’s believed that he file size consists largely of uncompressed textures, and TorrenFreak has cited rumours that there’s lots of junk files in there to bolster the file size and deter piracy. We’re not so sure about that one though.

The site even quoted one torrent user as saying, “43GB, the hell? No thanks, guess I will buy this when the price drops to £29.99.”

Another chap said, “I was gonna get this torrent but I saw the size and how long it would take me to download it, I said fuck it I’m getting it from Steam. Took me 2 hours to download 40GB including the day one update.”

While a third guy apparently said, “I have to uninstall like 10 games to play this shit!!”

So it seems people are actually paying for the game instead of going through the slow process of downloading the mammoth file.

So 100GB games will be the new DRM?

Divinity: Original Sin
http://www.vg247.com/2014/05/28/wol...t-has-been-pirated-over-100000-times-already/

Now, TorrentFreak reports that the shooter has been downloaded illegally over 100,000 times already, and that’s no small feat considering it weighs in at 43.65 gb.

It’s believed that he file size consists largely of uncompressed textures, and TorrenFreak has cited rumours that there’s lots of junk files in there to bolster the file size and deter piracy. We’re not so sure about that one though.

The site even quoted one torrent user as saying, “43GB, the hell? No thanks, guess I will buy this when the price drops to £29.99.”

Another chap said, “I was gonna get this torrent but I saw the size and how long it would take me to download it, I said fuck it I’m getting it from Steam. Took me 2 hours to download 40GB including the day one update.”

While a third guy apparently said, “I have to uninstall like 10 games to play this shit!!”

So it seems people are actually paying for the game instead of going through the slow process of downloading the mammoth file.

Well, it's unecessary toi have 50 GB, but it reminds me of the ninities when at each release period, the size of megabytes would get higher and higher. The fact that computer upgrades nowadays go at a slow pace, maybe this is what will make things accelerate again.

but back them, there was a audio/visual reason for the game to demand a lot of space, you actually saw why the extra disks were needed. Nowadays games just look like games from 6 years ago and you can't see reasons for high Gb numbers.

abija

Prophet
So... when a game is too big and you can't be arsed to download it from torrents the logical step is to pay full price and download it from steam. :thumbsup:
Make sure to also buy some internet accelerator software, just in case.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

If the US internet providers start introducing caps, which they want to do, and blu ray specs go up to 100GB or more, which they supposedly are going to, it wouldn't shock me at all to see disc versions make a comback with huge junk files to deter piracy.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If the US internet providers start introducing caps, which they want to do, and blu ray specs go up to 100GB or more, which they supposedly are going to, it wouldn't shock me at all to see disc versions make a comback with huge junk files to deter piracy.
Official download sources will be cap free of course.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Amazing that out of Rage, this, and Doom 4; Rage will probably turn out to be the best game.

retardation

Learned
I tried this game and I can safely say that Carmack (or whoever the fuck wrote the engine) simply didn't care when creating Id Tech 5.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not as if Id Tech 4 was a good engine, either. Doom 3 had awful kinesthetics -- the guns felt like toys.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I haven't played Doom 3 in years, but I remember good things about the guns. I remember being very satisfied with the shotgun and the machine gun. The energy weapons like the BFG felt a bit like flapping toilet paper at enemies, though.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So my AAARRRRR download finished this morning. I played until the end of the first level and then up until where you're scaling the wall. Does it get better after this, because it really looks like a standard popamole shooter. I can't see how anyone could push through to the end.

7/10

Learned
Does it get better after this

No. After the castle, it's mostly a shooting gallery, after shooting gallery, with several waves of enemies, similar to Max Payne 3 and other popamoles. There are some "open" parts near the beginning, but the rest is a scripted corridor. Also, the storyline makes absolutely no sense.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So my AAARRRRR download finished this morning. I played until the end of the first level and then up until where you're scaling the wall. Does it get better after this, because it really looks like a standard popamole shooter. I can't see how anyone could push through to the end.
The beginning is probably the most enjoyable part. :)))

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom