Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would perks make you more likely to donate?

Would you donate if it came with perks? (no ads, custom rank)

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Calis

Pensionado
I'm asking because:
a) nobody from the Codex donated for about 3 years, now
b) I want to know before I code in this entire ad-disabling-for-donators system

Potentially, a donate-and-get-perks system would come with an ad-free site and a custom forum avatar & rank on the forum, though we would reserve the right to dumbfuck you even if you donated. Overly annoying avatars and/or ranks will still be rejected of course.

So. Would anyone here be willing to shell out a few bucks (the ballpark figure we're throwing around is $15 for a year - all of which will be collected by our gracious server owner, Taluntain, no reimbursing domain registration fees for me boo hoo hoo - Taluntain offered to reimburse me for that, but I'd rather just play the pennyless student here on the forums) if it came with perks?

Potential other benefits to donation that I could code in:

- access to pre-print content so that you can give us feedback on articles prior to publication
- ops in #rpgcodex

I'm also thinking: "hey, maybe we should do a joint donatorship of DAC/RPGCodex/Terra Arcanum/CO8, since they run on the same server" but that's still up for discussion. Possibly extend the above IRC benefit to #fallout as well, but obviously I'll have to discuss this with Deathy and KoC first.

Anyway, use the poll to let me know whether or not you'd donate if it came with benefits. Use the thread for perk suggestions. No kingcomrade option this time, though you're perfectly welcome to suggest "if enough people donate, we'd like to see some humiliation visited upon KC".

As always, talk of ad blocking software here will result in me being severly disappointed and, possibly, calling your parents to discuss this transgression.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think this is a great idea and would like to chip in: we should also charge a reasonable amount from everyone who wants to register these fine forums, say, ten dollars.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I don't like the ops thing in IRC thats just asking for trouble, also if you put up special ranks or something on the forum it may start a division of posters. I know if I donated I don't want to be considered a fag and wouldn't want other people to see my ranks.

I think people want more confidence in the server and a better process of donations.

serch

Magister
I think a good way to increase donations would be some kind of online accountant in the main page. Something like:

COST THIS MONTH SO FAR...X$
COST COVERED UNTIL THE NEXT TIME YOU FAGGOT REFRESH... X$

And some kind of SP icon with a happy or sad face depending on the difference, and a Kingcomrade somewhere doing something.

Calis

Pensionado
Re: Jasede: wuteva, not doing that, I'm taking my domain ownership and will be making a run for the hills if that happens

Re: Pooper - IRC
Well, you'd be in a position to demote people in both since you rank above normal ops. Maybe we can bribe you to take that responsibility by giving you donator-privilileges? I still claim your sister as ACG's future bride in exchange.

Re: Pooper - division of posters
Well, that's what this thread is about. Obviously, nobody's going to force a custom rank on a donator, it's up to individual donators to decide whether they want a custom rank (and whether they will brag about it), it'll be up to the other posters to decide whether to praise or deride them for it.

Re: Pooper - server confidence / openness
Well, I wouldn't be averse to a page listing people who donated over the past year. As for server reliability, it is as it is. We get a rented server which Taluntain runs, with the occasional tiny bit of help from yours truly. What kind of guarantuee would you like?

Re: Serch
Good idea, but would require unified donation-tracking system that I'd be coding. I'm a pretty lazy guy.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Okay, I guess that works but the IRC side still has to be debated and stuff since IRC politics is a very delicate balance that requires a lot of work lawl.

Are you guys looking for 15 bucks total for donations a year or 15 bucks per donate? I'll donate if I know how and doesn't take a lot of work, does it have to include pay pal because that would mean I would have to register which is a total negative. Also the buy stuff from amazon is something I would never use, when I buy stuff with my super credit card of love I want to make sure its protected at teh utmost level and i'm not going to click on a link from here to buy something with the possibility that its a super secret fake site that is there to steal my monies.

Cassidy

Arcane
I think Age of Decadence sales would settle this problem once for all. Then RPG Codex could attract people to make itself famous as a <s>publisher</s> Indy RPG Developers Circle and raise funds from this activity until "Codex Games" become the next big one.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Well, I would donate, but I don't have the means to (no credit card nor bank account). But I'll sure donate once AoD is out. :)

Oarfish

Prophet
Paying for ops sounds like a pretty bad idea. I think just making the donation more obvious so you don't forget about it like I have would help. Perhaps tighter integration with the Amazon referrer scheme might help too, something like this?

I need to donate to both here and dwarf fortress soon, I don't think the codex should need more than a donator icon at at most custom avatars.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I want to share some more ideas: pay per privilege.

10$ - ability to view retardo land
100$ - dumbfuck a person of your choosing, but the person can "counter" your dumbfuck attempt by paying 20$: you then lose your 100$ and get a dumbfuck title
50$ - remove dumbfuck title from yourself
the possiblities are endless!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jasede said:

100$ - dumbfuck a person of your choosing, but the person can "counter" your dumbfuck attempt by paying 20$: you then lose your 100$ and get a dumbfuck title

500 $ - Gain the ability to post in Retardo Land!
1000$ - Change your nickname into ~aphatmc

Wursel

Novice
Calis said:
a) nobody from the Codex donated for about 3 years, now
LIES! :shock:

edit: Wait... does it make a difference wether I donated from rpgcodex.com or sorcerorsplace?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Access to pre-print content would be swell. $15 would be too much for me right now, but I'm sure I'd donate later.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I would definitely donate if it meant no more screaming smiley face ads. (If you guys implement this and want to encourage more donations, just make sure that all ads are that one.) Actually, I've been meaning to donate anyway, but this would be all the more incentive.

EDIT: And yeah, the custom avatar would probably be cool.

User was nabbed fit

I'd donate for: custom rank + avatar that I could both change at will on my own.

Normal rules apply. i.e. nothing NSFW, etc.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Hey guys this is Rex's item in Hellgate London, looks like all that hard work payed off for him.

6h2ssph.jpg

Donate to the codex and you get your own item in AoD.

Durwyn

Prophet
Geting a dumbfuck title - 15$
Rights to post Jew jokes - 25$
Custom furry avatar - 20$

.... Reading KC's Deathclaw Fanfic or Roqua vs Bryce... - Priceless

Cassidy

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Jasede said:

500 $ - Gain the ability to post in Retardo Land!
1000$ - Change your nickname into ~aphatmc

I'm telling you! A failure of the donation perks free market will happen!

2000$ - Become a moderator
5000$ - Become an admin
10000$ - 99% of your donation will go to a PLANE TICKETS BITCH!! fund
20000$ - kingcomrade dressed in Warhammer 40k Space Marine suit pic

Micmu

Magister
Well... Donations for ad-free accounts are okay by me, but if the el33t accounts will be recognizable to other users (custom titles?), it might backfire.
There's already too much attention whoring and high school drama here.
Not to mention custom avatars... :anime death:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom