Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would perks make you more likely to donate?

Would you donate if it came with perks? (no ads, custom rank)

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cassidy

Arcane
micmu said:
Well... Donations for ad-free accounts are okay by me, but if the el33t accounts will be recognizable to other users (custom titles?), it might backfire.
There's already too much attention whoring and high school drama here.
Not to mention custom avatars... :anime death:

It would become a price to pay for raising your E-penis then by other means than Codex cool points. But then, how would it not result in InternetDrama if a double dumbfuck was fucking rich and donated lots of cash?

Nutcracker

Scholar
Money for privilege is a terrible idea. The Codex would effectively become a plutocracy, with an elite group of donators revelling in their prestigious custom titles and ruling over the seething proletariat.

User was nabbed fit

WATCH OUT! As I rule over you with my custom title and avatar of +10.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I'm not keen on the "donators get ops in IRC" part.

It is a community that is largely independent from the respective sites in terms of make-up and "official presence". There have been people that have a large presence there that don't participate as much on the forums, and vice a versa. Do we really want site-related policies and politics fucking with our friendly IRC community?

dagorkan

Arbiter
I'll donate if it's necessary but I don't want any favors (even sexual). Otherwise it wouldn't be 'donating' would it?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Shagnak said:
I'm not keen on the "donators get ops in IRC" part.

It is a community that is largely independent from the respective sites in terms of make-up and "official presence". There have been people that have a large presence there that don't participate as much on the forums, and vice a versa. Do we really want site-related policies and politics fucking with our friendly IRC community?

This is a good point. They really ought to be kept separate.

In fact, if I knew that by donating I would get ops in the IRC channel, then I would choose not to donate.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
HanoverF said:
I'd donate for the ability to edit kingcomrade's posts
So you admit you need to edit them. Gosh, I need to do this "farfetched unintended implications from a creative interpretation of what you said" thing more often.

Jason

chasing a bee
Maybe donators should have the opportunity to vote on what VD's (or KC's or one of the other fan favorites) avatar is every month. Or maybe just one particular month. It'll be fun little community event type thing.

spacemoose

Erudite
baby arm said:
Maybe donators should have the opportunity to vote on what VD's (or KC's or one of the other fan favorites) avatar is every month. Or maybe just one particular month. It'll be fun little community event type thing.

YES. I was just thinking this. if you could buy titles for other posters, I'd probably do it

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Kingston said:
Hey guys this is Rex's item in Hellgate London, looks like all that hard work payed off for him.

6h2ssph.jpg

Sol's Invictus? Does that even make sense?

Hory

Erudite
Can anyone tell me if Hellgate London can be played for free cooperatively in LAN? I can't find this information. Thanks.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I'll address some issues:

1) No credit card? No problem. Snail mail works. We'll post detailed instructions on how to camouflage the money. So this is not something that would prevent you from donating if you actually wanted to do it.

2) PayPal doesn't require that you open an account with them any more to make a donation. Hasn't for some time. You just fill in the blanks and donate if you don't want to open an account. It's that easy.

3) Custom ranks/titles would be optional. You get it by default, but you can specify if you don't want it. Up to you.

4) What you'd get for donating would be our way of saying "thanks". It wouldn't be payment for a service, since that's not our primary aim. Giving something back to those who donate is.

Calis

Pensionado
I now realize that the IRC thing was a dumb idea, so that's officially out. :) I'd still like it if, say, DAC would join in on this.

Since the only technical change will be removing the ads for donators, I'll see about putting in a system for that today.

Consensus in the staff forum so far seems to be: "ad free site for donators, custom rank/title if they want one"

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
How about donate X amount of dollars to bring poster X back? It's a brilliant idea. First, it gives the "Free <s>Nelson Mandela</s> TNP!" club something constructive to do. Second, it gives us a renewable source of income as we can always ban him again and demand another ransom.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I may support only the idea when they'll see site without ads
but no custom avatars, custom titles...
Custom avatars and titles will have consequences on codex. And no information about - who donated, who doesn't..

spacemoose

Erudite
I've got to emphasize this: add an option to change the little title under the username for posters OTHER than yourself, this would be a steady source of entertainment and revenue

Calis

Pensionado
dagorkan said:
Did you get any donations yet?
Yes, one guy donated.

Also, the ad-free system is now functional. I've made myself a donator and am now enjoying the beauty of an ad-free Codex. :)

Perks related to donations are still up in the air, but things that are pretty much set in stone right now are these:

- 15$ will get you a year of ad-free Codex.
- 10$ will get you half a year
- There will be no public list of donators, just one that Codex admins can view
- If you donate, you should give your username IN BIG OBVIOUS LETTERS in the donation note, like this: Codex username: CALIS. Also, please indicate whether or not you'd like the "patron" forum rank.
The ad-disabling is tied to your forum account, so only registered forum users who are logged in will get their ads disabled. Yes, this means you have to pay twice if you want your alt to be ad-free as well! Cruel and unusual taxation on alters, yay! :D

I'd personally be in favor of also implementing this on the other network sites (DAC/Terra Arcanum/Codex/wutever) so you can get them all ad-free for a year for 20 bucks, but since none of those other sites have code for this in place yet that needs to be done first. I will look into changing DU's code at TacticularCancer so that it works there as well (since it's one big user table, anyway)

Info for people who have donated in the past 12 months:
We've decided to extend the ad-free site to people who have donated 10 or 15 bucks or more in the past 12 months only, since Taluntain's logs don't go back any further.
So if you've donated in the past 12 months, you should dig up the transaction details:
- the date when it was made
- from which paypal account it came (mail)
- the name of the donor on the account
- the amount donated
and PM them to Taluntain. He'll then verify the details and change your status in our Awesome Donator Tracking System (tm). Hit refresh and watch the ads disappear.

Info for people who want other perks for their cash
Don't pester Taluntain about this, not his job, ours. Final decision on perks you get is still pending, but there will be no ranks, titles, avatars, etc. for people who don't want them.

Q: What if I don't want any benefits from my donation?
Simple. Just don't provide your username with the donation and we'll never know.

I'll compile the above into an official "donations" page once the staff has a consensus on what other perks (if any) get given to donators.

User was nabbed fit

So, will we get a special template that allows us to change our avatar/rank whenever we want? Because that'd be ideal.

Calis

Pensionado
ViolentOpposition said:
So, will we get a special template that allows us to change our avatar/rank whenever we want? Because that'd be ideal.
Probably not, I'd say it's better to have an admin filter out real crap avatars and such. Anyway, those perks are still up for discussion, right now it's just the ads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom