Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Most of us don't notice the subtle functional differences or the fact that Rebirth has both WHITE and BROWN bunnies running around, which is CLOSER TO LEGACY VANILLA, and poor inept Nostalrius only has white bunnies.

Autists gonna autism, though.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Most of us don't notice the subtle functional differences or the fact that Rebirth has both WHITE and BROWN bunnies running around, which is CLOSER TO LEGACY VANILLA, and poor inept Nostalrius only has white bunnies.

Autists gonna autism, though.

Is more like Rebirth has functional talents and quests ;p

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm really hoping Dalaran and True Wow merge. Dalaran has Wintergrasp, but True Wow has far better scripting throughout the rest of the game.

What's the TrueWoW pop like nowadays? I played it in 2011 and it was probably the best Wrath private server available. It felt almost exactly like the real thing pre-Cataclysm.

Naraya

Arcane
I liked WotLK very much but I've never heard of TrueWoW. Their forums surely look impressive, I don't see stupid and immature posts like on other sites. I'm giving it a shot, already transferred my character from retail (the process from start to end took like 1 minute). The only problems I see is that voting system is in place and that currently there are <400 people online and the peak is under 1000... We'll see.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Is more like Rebirth has functional talents and quests ;p
And Nostalrius doesn't?

I am always amazed by private server fanboys. I play on Nostalrius and quite like it but that doesn't make me suck their cock OR spread bullshit lies about Kronos or Rebirth or some other server. I can understand the emotional attachment when you've foolishly paid $60 for the latest Bethesda or Bioware turd and need to defend your hiking and/or waifu simulator but playing on private servers is free.

As far as servers go, this would be fairly accurate summary of it:

Nostralius, buggy and laggy with ability delay during prime-times as their server cannot handle the playerbase. Numerous crashes and forums oftentimes cleansed from the negative commentaries. Releases broken content that causes server crashes for weeks. (Lel that BWL release) Has the biggest playerbase. Like with ED originally, it seems that people are driven by PR rather than rationality. Known also to reboot their server after not hitting population goals (framed later as "beta testings" by PR despite being established French-only realm of the past). If one has to try at least dig something actually positive about Nostralius, they have quite alright movemaps.

Kronos is quite alright. It has sufficient playerbase and some actual dedication put into their scripting, but they have history of re-launching the server two to three times in the past with character wipe after not being considered profitable enough by the main server conglomerate they belong to. It's sort of middle-ground when it comes to quality vs. quantity of people. However their finicky past is questionable.

Rebirth is as is, current uptimes and low latencies have been hitting 13 days straight with reboot and still retains best scripting of the vanilla space, about to start AQ event in near future. Suffers from lack of population due to a couple weeks rollback that happened after previous US manager quit and left rest of the admin team in void without any contacts or information. Didn't help when overhyped Nostralius was released during same time the current team managed to get the server back rolling properly after salvage work on character database. All in all remains the longest surviving vanilla server in the scene and it's developement and quality is based on actual progress over 4.5 years rather than claims of this and that made by PR teams.
No, what would be accurate is that:

If you want to play with other people, you play on Nostalrius. Yes, it gets laggy but only when over 7k players are simultaneously playing.

If you want to see GMs throw Nefarion in Ironforge or you're too busy to level up and want to buy a 60 character, and enjoy the solitude of having about 1k players in total, play on Kronos.

If you want to play alone, go for Rebirth.

All private servers will have bugged out quests. You can level to 60 without issues on any of them. None of the three mentioned are notably different when it comes to scripting. As for forums, it's funny that you slam on Nostalrius when they only lock threads and don't ban people, which Twinstars/Kronos deletes threads and bans people left and right.

Come on Wilian, show us on this doll where the big bad Frenchman touched you.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I liked WotLK very much but I've never heard of TrueWoW. Their forums surely look impressive, I don't see stupid and immature posts like on other sites. I'm giving it a shot, already transferred my character from retail (the process from start to end took like 1 minute). The only problems I see is that voting system is in place and that currently there are <400 people online and the peak is under 1000... We'll see.

Yeah, I googled a bit and it seems their population is quite low. Around 500 peak most nights. What a shame. I used to play on that server in 2011 and it was pumping. It felt like a real WoW server for the most part (minus a few bugs and broken features obviously).

Dyspaire

Cipher
What's the TrueWoW pop like nowadays? I played it in 2011 and it was probably the best Wrath private server available. It felt almost exactly like the real thing pre-Cataclysm.

The population is low compared to a real old-timey WoW server, yes, but the economy works surprisingly well, there are lots of guilds if that's your thing, and I've yet to run into anyone who wasn't just trying to play the game and have some fun.

In some ways I actually prefer the low pop. There's still enough people on to make it a healthy server, yet you end up knowing a lot of the same faces, just like it was early on in Vanilla before RDF and the like.

For someone to take the time to find/install/setup the client, register etc... it really does weed out a great number of idiots.

There may only be 500 people on at a time, but those 500 people put some effort into being there, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, it's fun, 99% of everything works, (really, really miss Wintergrasp though), and very free.

/notassociatedwithTrueWoW

Cheesecake

Savant
It's been a week, but I don't think Vanilla WoW is for me :( I wanna try the expansions, see the latest content. Legion looks amazing! I don't feel the nostalgia of playing vanilla WoW because I wasn't there for it :( Anyway, that's my opinion of it.

By the way, if you didn't know, Nostalrius is releasing a PvE server this Saturday on CEST 7 PM (I think)

Naraya

Arcane
^ I totally understand you, it must be pretty hard to get into Vanilla now if you never experienced it before.

Personally I can't wait for PvE Nostalrius - I plan to start in a month or so, when each quest mob won't be fought over by the hordes of levelling people...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What patch would it use? The last Vanilla one? They actually refined quite a few classes/specs towards the end of Vanilla. Paladin tanking got major buffs towards the end. No taunt I believe but probably enough stuff to do most raids outside of Naxx/4 horseman.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
They start with patch 1.4 - that's the Nostalrius thing, emulating the patch progress of Blizzard back in the day.

Since that's actually impossible, we play on 1.12.1 client, so 1.12 spells and talents, but the items and quests available are based on what is known about stuff at 1.4 and before.

The PvP server is currently on 1.6 patch - BWL - and 1.7 patch is on their PTR currently. PvE will start on 1.4 (or pre-1.4, I'm not 100% sure) and the patches will come based on their rough time line.

I'd like a PvE Nostalrius, but how many people will want to start over?
Not too many from the PvP server but based on their tests and the polls, it looks like the PvE server will get a lot of people who gave up on the PvP server or are completely new. It should have a decent population.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So the Nostralius PvE server launched but apparently it's under some temporary cap. Shitloads of no-lifers with 'dew and Redbull racing to level cap along with PvP griefers killing quest givers. I'll give it a week or so before checking it out.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Given the population differences I am sticking with PvP. I did make a priest on PvE server just in case... cuz priests are kinda more helpless from random assaults than mages.

Sjukob

Arcane
I decided to join Nostalrius . Overaldudely - level 16 troll warrior , pvp realm .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom