Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Kinda baffling to me that people think hosting vanilla servers are in Blizzard interest. It's a fuck load of work which will split their population and have people cancelling their subs to current WoW. If they include vanilla in the current Subs, then it's a lot of work for zero pay for the sizeable amount of people currently paying a sub fee. They could try and monetise vanilla wow servers, but then private servers will be the ones offering a more blizzlike product.

Mustawd

How's it any different than splitting a community in PvE and PvP though? Aren't there plenty of people who do both? Just like there are plenty of people who would be a WoW subscriber and have a character on a Vanilla server and/or one on a current server. Doesn't seem all that different to me. If anything, it helps prolong the experience for a lot of people.

Again, this is being done without adding any additional content. You'd need to maintain it just like any other type of server you have (PvE, PvP, etc.).

Don Peste

Arcane
Screw Blizzard. Do you know who will be our true savior? Activision.
As soon as they are fed up with subs decline and all the slow, expensive and unavoidable work they need to pull to shit a new expansion, they will look at legacy servers with good eyes.
And if that means a bunch of people will stop buying expansions and subs for Regular WoW, they will invent something else, like mini-expansions (Buy three new (re-used assets) dungeons every six months for a third of the price), even for Legacy. Because you know it wouldn't be 100% true legacy. They'll only agree if they add some shit.
And if you think this kills balance or whatever, man WoW is as dead as the Emperor. It's the perfect test enviroment for whatever they have for the future.
They have a bunch of old, almost abandonware games collecting dust in a corner, it's time to make them profitable again.

hivemind

That alone is reason enough for Blizzard to ignore the idea until they hit the 11th hour in terms of dwindling subs.
with all the microtransaction cancer i don't think they even have to care about sub numbers that much

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
As sad as it is, Blizzard probably makes more money through the micro-transactions than through subs or expansion sales, though expansions at $60 a pop are nothing to sneeze at either.

Kinda baffling to me that people think hosting vanilla servers are in Blizzard interest. It's a fuck load of work which will split their population and have people cancelling their subs to current WoW. If they include vanilla in the current Subs, then it's a lot of work for zero pay for the sizeable amount of people currently paying a sub fee. They could try and monetise vanilla wow servers, but then private servers will be the ones offering a more blizzlike product.
It's not a fuckload of work. They can either license it out to 3rd party on as-is basis, which would just require an active subscription to retail WoW and integration with Battle.Net or they could host 3-4 regionally divided servers as a testbed themselves: two or three programmers working for a month or two to integrate vanilla client with modern Battle.Net, two Game Masters per server for customer service and one Community guy running vanilla forums, if their existing CMs couldn't handle it. Considering how cheap server hosting nowadays is and what kind of bulk deals Blizzard already has, the cost is pretty damn small for a company worth $19 billion. Maybe put a $20 one-time payment to opt-in for legacy servers or something. Some people would play both vanilla and retail.

Currently Blizzard is getting ZERO money from people playing on private servers. Creating or licensing out legacy servers would bring them SOME profit. Both Runescape and Everquest have shown that it can be done (by companies vastly smaller than Activision-Blizzard mind you) and that it can be profitable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's something we will eventually see but not for another several years.

Mustawd

It's something we will eventually see but not for another several years.

If they don't then they're leaving money on the table IMO. I think we're getting close to peaking in the Nostalgia Phase of gaming.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If it were really that much money they'd have done it. This is Acti-Blizz we're talking about. It's not like they have any standards left. Quality arguments aside, if WoW still closely resembled Vanilla it would have even less subscribers than it does today and there's a chance on of its failed rivals wouldn't have failed. Pandering to casuals makes them more money. Age of Decadence might be a great game but it doesn't sell anywhere near the average Assassin's Creed installment. It's rarely as black and white as 'if we add a vanilla wow client we can simply tack on X million dollars to our revenue.' There's a variety of factors, some of which we probably haven't even thought of debating the topic.

I'm certain there's some magic number in terms of subs or net revenue they have flagged that acts as a trigger point to consider vanilla servers -- the game just isn't at that spot yet. WoD flopped for certain but it'll be another year or so after Legion releases until we have an idea of how well they recovered (if at all).

Mustawd

If it were really that much money they'd have done it.

Not really. Look at all the cRPGs making money now due to kickstarter. Studios/Publishers could have had hit after hit after hit for years now if they had any indicators of demand. Kickstarter actually was able to make this demand visible.

Same thing with vanilla servers of old MMOs. The fact that these servers exist, in a relatively healthy size without much publicity, shows that there is some demand. I mean FFS, how hard can this be? I mean the marketing basically writes itself:

"WoW Origins"

"Re-visit the world of WoW as you first experienced it!..."

"Re-mastered original content in HD using modern technology.."

"Rekindle old guilds and friendships in a more hardcore world..."

etc. etc.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Not really. Look at all the cRPGs making money now due to kickstarter. Studios/Publishers could have had hit after hit after hit for years now if they had any indicators of demand. Kickstarter actually was able to make this demand visible.
You forget that big corporations don't think in terms of whether something is profitable, but if it's as profitable. I was talking about this just today in the Adventure subforum. CRPGs on Kickstarter are selling 50-100k copies? Big fucking deal. You're comparing to franchises where each game is expected to sell 10 million copies. Of course it would make sense to release both the next COD and a TB blobber and corner the 10 million casuals as well as the 50k grognards, but again these corporations don't work like this.

Mustawd

but again these corporations don't work like this.

What's crazy is that "good" corporations CAN work like this. Big companies have smaller, yet profitable, sub divisions all the time. Are they big bucks? Meh, they might be 10-25% of total revenue. But they can have all kinds of synergies that you might not expect:

1. Increase market share to niche markets. The hardcore market is niche. and having something like a vanilla server would probably be considered hardcore. But what you accomplish is more and more people buying Blizzard products. It's a way to grow influence, even among the hardcore. It's similar to what Larian is doing, but on a broader scale since Larian has one or two main products. But the point is that they can walk the line between being hardcore and accessible. And they don't get killed for it.

Anyhow, more people buying your products creates buzz and goodwill for a company. Think about it, who are usually the most negative voices on the internet? The hardcore. Get an executive to form a team that understands that market well, and you can kill a lot of negative publicity by just catering to that crowd in a low budget and profitable way.

2. Extend the life of related products. Look, if you are getting tired of the current content of WoW, something like a vanilla server can keep you occupied enough until you've been away to come back to the main content and buy expansions. What's the alternative? Subscribers start saying "fuck it", get burnt out, and quit. It happens all the time. The beauty of vanilla servers is that it serves as a "holding pattern" of sorts for people who get fed up with some of the streamlined options or who outpace all the new content.

3. Bring in lost money to the company. What was Nost's population? Like 200k? I mean how much money is that if 80% are subscribers? How much is that if they buy expansions in the future? How many of those would pay for an HD upgrade to the vanilla game?

4. Ride the momentum. Right now we are living in a nostalgia wave where old and forgotten IPs, mechanics, and all sorts of ways to enjoy content (rela manuals anyone?) are experiencing a revival. Much like it's easier to use a broken path by sled dogs versus creating one yourself, it's much easier to jump on the bandwagon than to start it yourself. Appealing to nostalgia, at this point in time in video games, is slightly a bit harder than shooting fish in a barrel. A few years ago? Shit was way too easy if you were well organized enough and had some money. Now some bad projects have left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth for the nostalgia-driven (Realms of Arkania HD remake and HoMM 7). But the money pot is still there, for companies who are willing to put on their late 90s/early 2000s caps on.

EDIT: Last thing I'll say is this...Steam and itunes have proven that if you make things easy, relatively cheap and accessible for people who normally pirate things, then a large majority of those people will instead choose to just go ahead and buy the product. Just like buying a game with patch support on steam is sometimes better than pirating a buggy and unpatched copy, a vanilla server run by an ACTUAL team of dedicated professionals is going to be really attractive to a lot of the people who play on Nost, rebirth, or whatever.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
HD upgrade would ruin it. I've seen nu-WoW. Yeah, it is higher def, but looks weird and odd. All you need is bug fixes.

Mustawd

Yeah, sure, but my point is that people would spend $$ on it. Not that I would like it personally. In other words, there is an incentive for WoW to do it. I mean look at all the enhanced editions and director's cuts there are nowadays. People will buy that shit.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's hard enough to make money in this industry--seems crazy to throw away an opportunity like this (butthurt of the current devs notwithstanding).

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Kronos opening a second server on 27th of April. A perfect time to get into Vanilla Wow if anyone's interested. I do hear it's not perfect progression, since it launches with buffed blues from later Vanilla patches.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Kronos opening a second server on 27th of April. A perfect time to get into Vanilla Wow if anyone's interested. I do hear it's not perfect progression, since it launches with buffed blues from later Vanilla patches.
That's good. I saw on Rebirth chat that they apparently had a 4000+ queue the other day.

EDIT: Man, fresh starts on new realms are GOAT.

You rolling there, dibmens?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wouldn't get too comfortable. Now that Blizzard has shown they're willing to kill euro servers, I really think it's just a matter of time before the next one goes.

Mustawd

I wouldn't get too comfortable. Now that Blizzard has shown they're willing to kill euro servers, I really think it's just a matter of time before the next one goes.

Probably as easy as it is to change the name on the C&D letter and print it out.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
A vanilla player wouldn't have to buy expansions. That alone is reason enough for Blizzard to ignore the idea until they hit the 11th hour in terms of dwindling subs.
Nothing stopping them from going "Legacy servers! Free if you're subbed and have latest expansion!"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
A vanilla player wouldn't have to buy expansions. That alone is reason enough for Blizzard to ignore the idea until they hit the 11th hour in terms of dwindling subs.
Nothing stopping them from going "Legacy servers! Free if you're subbed and have latest expansion!"
Which would probably lower the number of people who would play on them.

J1M

Arcane
If you guys are going to swarm a new server you have 2 days to get your shit straight and decide horde vs. alliance. As cool as a 100% dwarf codex guild would be, you mainly have to figure out how many people want to play paladin vs shaman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom