Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
is combat relegated to tiny areas

yes.png

Jinn

Arcane
I have a question as someone who's going into this mostly blind: is combat relegated to tiny areas (a la Devil May Cry) or does combat occur in the open world (e.g. Sleeping Dogs, GTA)?

You "get into" battles, much like a JRPG, or Okami is another good example.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Though this does change with Yakuza 6, once combat starts in the games using the Dragon Engine you're free to fight wherever or run away wherever.

Ivan

Arcane
Cool, played Okami. Gotcha. Shame, I loved the freedom of fights expanding into the open world. Still psyched for my first Yakuza experience though.

It's not an open world game in the traditional sense of the term at all. I mean, the effective area that the action plays in is pretty big, and there are some side activities, but it's mostly an action game with a lot of soap opera-style story. It's fun because it's over the top and the fighting is alright, with some cool moves.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.pcgamer.com/yakuza-0-review/
As for the PC port, it's mostly solid. There's plenty of scope to tweak graphics options, with 4K resolution support, supersampling and a handful of more granular options. And while a gamepad is recommended, I found keyboard and mouse an acceptable alternative—although I did miss analogue 360 degree movement during fights. Both keyboard and gamepad are remappable, too, although the default keyboard bindings seem pretty sensible.

Performance wise, I've tested on both a GTX 1070 using a 165Hz, 1440p monitor, and on an R9 Fury X using a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor (albeit letterboxed). Both ran well, maintaining well over 60fps on the highest graphic settings. Weirdly, I did experience some light stutter on my GTX 1070 machine, but only when playing in borderless windowed mode, and only when using keyboard and mouse. Otherwise, it's been perfectly smooth. Perhaps the most notable issue is how Yakuza 0 scales to higher resolutions. There's some notable aliasing on the subtitles of cutscenes and on the map. It's not a major fault, but it's not ideal when you're meant to be paying attention to the content of the subtitles, not the presentation.

Putting up with a minor annoyance is worth it, because Yakuza 0 is one of the most eccentric, idiosyncratic and downright charming games around. It deftly moves between drama and humour, between story and action, between arcade action and lengthy, well written pulp dialogue about a man who is incredibly good at punching. There's simply nothing else quite like it, and it's well worth your time.

No Great Name

Arcane
I do have a question about the difficulty level though. The game starts on normal difficulty by default and will ask if you want to turn the difficulty down to easy if you fail a battle too many times. Is there a hard mode as well in this game? All the info I find when I search online just talks about the Kiwami version instead which obviously doesn't apply to the original.
:(
Does no one know the answer to this?

Modron

Arcane
Yeah this is the first game I have preordered in a while besides I guess some kickstarters way back in 2012.

Jinn

Arcane
What other yakuza games aside from 0 and kiwami thats gonna get a pc port?

I would imagine at least Kiwami 2, Kiwami 3, then possibly 4, 5, and 6 if the first four sell well. It seems that Sega tends to go all in on their porting stance when they decide to.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
There is no Kiwami 3, it's just an enhanced port of the old game.

But yeah, it is becoming increasingly likely that all games will find their way to the PC platform soon. That's why I'm holding off Kiwami 2 purchase on PS4.

Jinn

Arcane
There is no Kiwami 3, it's just an enhanced port of the old game.

Ah, thanks. It just made little sense to me why they wouldn't just continue with the Kiwami remakes for the series, which is why I assumed it was Kiwami 3.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, they cited the very reason in an interview recently iirc, and they also noted that it would just distract from developing new projects resource-wise. I mean, they have a Shin Ryu ga Gotoku coming up, so I'd imagine they are fully focused on that.

Cromwell

Arcane
Yes, distracted by adding new content which they feel they would have to to make it a kiwami game, so they stuck to a simple remake.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
This is SEGA so there are good chances of it happening, but I hope regardless that PC sales do well enough to warrant eventually seeing the entire series ported.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Well, if they release the remastered version of Yakuza 3 in the West, that's already Kiwami enough given how much the localization cut content back in the day.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That would be great. Even back in the day the amount of content that got cut from Yakuza 3 due to censorship and god knows what reasons is insane. Entire sub-stories and mini-games.

What would really make me happy would be to see Ishin, if not remastered Kenzan, released in the west, though. Can you imagine a samurai crazy period where we're getting Sekiro, Nioh 2 and Ghost of Tsushima only for all of them to get blown away by an old release?

269057-yakuzaisihn.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Speaking of Ishin!, does anyone know any good comprehensive "Ishin For Gaijin Who Don't Understand Japanese" guides? That's pretty much the last straw I have before I'd order a copy (since region-free and all that).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom