Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Your favourite "hardcore" platformers?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I finished VVVVVV and Super Meat Boy (light worlds), which I was amazed by since I have played very few (if any) platformers since the SNES.

No other recent ones have grabbed me like those two though.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One of those genres I don't particularly enjoy.

That said, I played the hell out of Duke Nukem 1 & 2 and various NES Super Mario Bros. games when I was younger.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What, no "console trash! get this thread off the Codex" posts? Did we finally learn that different genres and systems can be just as entertaining, as long as the content is good?

I am really fond of Super Metroid and Demon's Quest. I am not good at "hard" platformers though, so they are not as dear to me as SHMUPS.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, if you wanna play a cool short little platformer, try "Eversion".
It's for Windows.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All Mega Man series for SNES, with all the boss encounters, that was unforgiving experience.
Castlevania:SOTN. Yeah, I beated the castle, oh wait, now it's upside down and you still have to play to reach the end. Fuuu...
Furry of the Furries - maybe not so hardcore, but dying with the green rope guy or getting killed by a monster was very easy. The later levels tended to be even worse.
Blackthorne - here you need to be more patience, with the hide and shoot mechanics. Nice use of inventory items, and good pacing.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Also don't forget about Turrican I & II (Amiga) and Super Turrican (NES).

Great games.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
To be fair, i finished on the easy mode(less levels tough). Aquaria should be more forgiving, tough the popagonist is not as awesome as a dolphin.

hqdefault.jpg
What you mean by the pic?

Rage, anger, and frustration. Do you not know what that is?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
-Blackthorne
-Lost Vikings
-Castlevania, not sure which one but i played it on gameboy :)
-Any Megaman,
-Heart of Darkness (not hard core but i still love this)
-And Super Mario Bros 3 :)

Also Ghosts'n Goblins!

Heart of Darkness
Another World
Flashback
Abe's Oddysee / Exodus
Prince of Persia 1 & 2
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (most underrated MK game ever)
Battletoads (NES)
Chip'n'Dale Rescue Rangers 1 & 2
Super Mario Bros 1, 2 (Japanese, not this Doki Doki Panic rip off), 3
Prehistorik 2
Legend of Kage
Felix The Cat
Shadow of the Beast (Amiga port)
Altered Beast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_'n_Dale_Rescue_Rangers_(video_game)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Abe's Odyssey games are hard enough, but only if you're looking to save every alien. Otherwise; pretty easy puzzles. There is one alien in particular that requires split second precision over about 5 minutes that is very hard to do without a walkthrough.

This is a hybrid puzzle-platformer without any player skill, but i always thought that the Humans series was underrated as a puzzle game.

Dynamite Heady isn't especially hard, but it's a... experience.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh, btw, speaking of megaman; there is something Sega Channel-only you might not know about:

Mega Man: The Wily Wars, released in Japan as Rockman Mega World (ロックマン メガワールド?) is a video game compilation by Capcom for the Sega Mega Drive. The game features remakes of the first three Mega Man games (Mega Man, Mega Man 2, and Mega Man 3) that were originally released for the Nintendo Entertainment System, and is a pseudo-sequel of sorts for these titles. The Wily Wars was released in cartridge format in Japan, Brazil and PAL regions. The North American Genesis version was available exclusively via the Sega Channel service.[5][6]
[...]
The compilation features an upgrade to the original games' visuals, as well as arranged music.[5][8] An important change is that the compilation provides battery back-up for each game. As a result, it is possible to continue Mega Man from a later point in the game, though Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3 lost the password feature. The Wily Wars removes several glitches present in the NES versions of the game.[9] Upon completion of all three games, an exclusive game mode, called "Wily Tower", is made available to the player. In Wily Tower, Mega Man travels through three different stages fighting against a trio of new bosses called the "Genesis Unit", which are based on characters from the Great Classical Novel The Journey to the West: Buster Rod. G (Sun Wukong), Mega Water. S (Sha Wujing), and Hyper Storm. H (Zhu Bajie).[9] After they are defeated, the player finally faces Wily in the titular tower. Wily Tower requires the player to equip Mega Man with eight weapons and three support items from any of the three main games to proceed.

Just because it was sega channel only that doesn't mean the rom doesn't exist :M

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Genesis games:

I haven't played it yet; but landstalker looks suitably hellish for a isometric platformer from the intro

Chakan is ridiculously hard

Lion King is fun of course. Requires a bit of memorization.

Gargoyles is interesting, another disney adaptation

Light Crusader is another isometric platformer. This one has puzzles too (and some of them are rather hard because they require strict timing) - rooms 'reset' when you enter them again if you haven't solved the puzzle.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Abe's Exoddus is pretty easy as a whole compared to Oddysee even if it's far longer and introduces new challenges. Oddysee made me pull my hair several times, the secret areas in particular being extremely hard.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Genesis games:

I haven't played it yet; but landstalker looks suitably hellish for a 3d isometric platformer from the intro

Not only is it a tough platformer, the dungeons are maze-like and challenging.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom