Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

spekkio

Arcane
Well, you run around the enemy like a retard, trying to "touch" him from some "perfect" angle. If you miss, or he turns around to face you, you're screwed.
In 2 it's easier, 'cuz you just try to bump into enemies diagonally. Still stupid, IMO.

When I read in one tip that it's recommended to switch from 360 degrees to 8-directional movement, I knew this isn't the game for me.

I know you can master this system, but it's just not fun for me.

:roll:

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
That sounds weird. After the getting what the combat is all about I never had any troubles hitting enemies, and I didn't know about that diagonal stuff until now.

spekkio

Arcane
Allright, you faggots. :roll:

I went back to Ys1 and I'm enjoying it for what it is. A good-looking game with shitty combat. Good job, you cunts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNZfLeWw0Ko&t=1m37s

rating_rage.gif

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Would say that Ys 1's biggest issue(besides how shit the final boss battle is designed) is how easy it is to get lost and not know what to do next, particularly in darm tower(applies to the sequel as well).

spekkio

Arcane
Yeah, I've read that using a walkthrough is a good idea if you're stuck (i.e. using hammer on some pillar or some shit).

Last edited:

Max Stats

Liturgist
Well, you run around the enemy like a retard, trying to "touch" him from some "perfect" angle. If you miss, or he turns around to face you, you're screwed.

Seemed easy enough to me. It was like a top down Joust.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Yeah, I've read that using a walkthrough is a good idea if you're stuck (i.e. using hammer on some pillar or some shit).
The psp version actually comes with a walkthrough for the entire first game in the manual. Guess they knew about the issue.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The psp version actually comes with a walkthrough for the entire first game in the manual. Guess they knew about the issue.
That manual also tells you how to get cheaper prices at the shop and how to get some free weapon(s).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Just announced at NIS America press event:

Ys VIII is coming to West this Fall on PC, PS4, and Vita.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ys 8... from NISA. I vastly prefer XSEED as a localizer, so this kinda sucks. At least they have a PC release, I guess.

Cladun and more Operation Abyss is cool too.

EDIT: XSEED translator:
C47GIFEUEAAUdNT.jpg:large

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
WHAT THE FUCK?!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

AMAZING! GREAT!

Hope it'll have 60FPS. And of course, I hope it's actually good! Anybody know how it compares to Seven\Celceta? Didn't really like these.

Also , strange that Xseed hasn't grabbed it.

Siveon

Bot
Hopefully it isn't as buggy as Disgaea 1 was on launch.

Anybody know how it compares to Seven\Celceta? Didn't really like these.

Looks to be of the same vein. It still has party switching and what-not.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeaaah, the party switching is what I hated the most. But I remember this one brought back the light platforming which I really enjoyed in the Napishtim engine games.

EDIT: TBH - it wasn't just the party switching thing. Also, all the JRPG-style toppings. Fuckin'.. alchemy and crafting and too much talking.. Also, prioritizing royal guards over skillful dodging.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, XSEED are the best; the care they put into their localizations is one of a kind.

At least we're getting the game though.

tet666

Augur
Yeah, XSEED are the best; the care they put into their localizations is one of a kind.

At least we're getting the game though.

True but they only translate and publish we wouldn't even get a pc version with them so you can't blame Falcom for choosing NISA over them since they will make them more money.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, dual audio, simultaneous launch on all platforms, and Japanese language support on Steam (which was not the case for other Falcom games). I guess NIS/NISA sure pulled a lot of strings for this.

Siveon

Bot
Great to hear about Ys VIII coming to PC. Hopefully this means there's an increased chance of Celceta/Seven and Trails of Cold Steel I-III coming to PC.
Trails of Cold Steel is hopefully still with XSEED, but that does not mean it won't come to PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom