Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

DakaSha V
circ
circ
looks like a turk to me. or maybe youre some kind of turkologist?
FreeKaner
FreeKaner
Very interesting post my Aryan friend. I did not know this. Although I'll comment most of the Blacksea population concurrently is not the original Greco-Anatolians, at least not on the whole coast, because many of them came from Balkans after Ottoman Empire lost those areas and Balkan Wars. It's true though there are still many crypo-christians in East Blacksea coast in particular.
FreeKaner
FreeKaner
Furthermore if you are curious about how Turkish identity and nationalism works despite the rather mixed past of Turkish population, I.E vast majority not being descendant from the steppe conquerors. You should begin to understand that the term "Turk" is not necessarily a genetic identity. I am quite aware of my rather mixed background (albeit I do have actual Turkic ancestry unlike most) but I identify as Turkish.
FreeKaner
FreeKaner
I'd say even the term "Turk" basically didn't remove Ottoman identity, but rather supplanted it. What's unnatural isn't the plural background of Muslim Turks, what was unnatural is the attempt to create a monoethnic identity out of the Muslim identity of Ottoman citizen, which was simply united through Lisan-ı Turki.
FreeKaner
FreeKaner
It all goes back to forceful top down imposition of nationalism where it didn't belong (I.E outside of Western Europe).
Wyrmlord
Wyrmlord
Was I correct in taking at face value comments by Turkish people that Erdogan's Turkish is not very good?
FreeKaner
FreeKaner
You should not take anything a Turk says about Erdogan at face value. He is a rather polarising person, and kemalists are also guilty of falling into pit of wanting to diminish every aspect of him as a person due his political impact. Erdogan doesn't speak refined Turkish in the manner of accent, but he has respectable vocabulary, possibly due his Ottoman admiration he tries to enrich his speech with older words.
Wyrmlord
Wyrmlord
My silly theory (which is only based on a half informed knowledge of the region) is that Greeks and other ethnic minorities benefitted from the Ottoman Empire more than Turkish nationalism and that might be why minorities and cryptos would be more inclined to neo-Ottomanism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom