Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

unfairlight
unfairlight
Did you rike it?
Sigourn
Sigourn
Like a lot of users, I didn't enjoy the last sections much (Vandenberg, Ocean Lab, Area 51). I feel the game was at its peak in Hell's Kitchen, with Hong Kong probably being in second place. In those three areas it was pretty much no NPC interaction (aside from getting passwords and things like that). I did like the three different endings though, but
Sigourn
Sigourn
it ties in with my idea that a game like New Vegas is more replayable by virtue of the amount of choices you make over the course of the game that shape the ending, as opposed to literal last minute decisions that allow you to access all endings. All that said, the New Dark Age ending would make for a great ending should Deus Ex have been a film. It's too awesome.
Sigourn
Sigourn
Easily the most enjoyable sections of Deus Ex, in my opinion, are those that have to do with dialogue. Stealth is very icky and I simply didn't enjoy combat. Then again, I played in Realistic difficulty and basically fucked myself as enemies would constantly one shot me, making for some very annoying reloads that ruined the pacing.
unfairlight
unfairlight
Strangely enough, I loved Vandenberg and Ocean Lab, although I despised the last part of the game where you have to go and actually pick your ending. More combat than usual. Combat is easy if you get enough meds, cells and a upgraded ballistic protection aug even on realistic. Stealth in the game was bare bones but it worked.
unfairlight
unfairlight
I don't think Deus Ex is a real RPG despite loving the game to death. A lot of people praise the game for choice and consequence despite the game not having a whole lot of it, most of the choices you make will not matter that much and have little actual consequence, it's generally limited to seeing a character later in the story with little role, a bit of dialogue or having to fight someone.
Sigourn
Sigourn
Yeah, that last comment is pretty much my impression of the game. C&C is nice, but there's so little of significance that there's no real reason to replay the game when, at the end of the day, there are only three endings to achieve and can all be achived in the same playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom