Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

Kyl Von Kull
Kyl Von Kull
Has death come swirling down yet?
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Many times. Just started the Great Ordeal. Still best fantasy series I've read so far.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Only found one moment to be particularly disappointing so far, that being the resolution of Ikurei Conphas' storyline. Too Deus Ex Machina. I guess it could have been a part of the TTT but that seems like a stretch and there was zero buildup to it, only sheer coincidence.
Kyl Von Kull
Kyl Von Kull
Do you mean the fact that Conphas’ army showed up in the nick of time of the fact that they attacked the wrong enemy?
Kyl Von Kull
Kyl Von Kull
I don’t mind any of the deus ex machina moments because there’s no such thing as coincidence on Earwa. That’s one of the things I love about the series: he really takes the existence of god/gods and runs with it. If you’re going to have a pantheon and an afterlife as so many fantasy stories do, things like predestination and damnation aren’t just abstract ideas, they’re essential plot points.
Kyl Von Kull
Kyl Von Kull
The Great Ordeal and The Unholy Consult may be my favorites of the series. You’re in for some great stuff—really picks up the pace from the previous two aspect-emperor books.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
I didn't like that so much time was spent building up Conphas as a legitimate threat and an interesting foil to Kellhus thanks to his psychopathy for it all to be undone by Saubon arriving out of nowhere. Plus I thought it unlikely Saubon would be able to instantly convert his host afterwards, considering a large chunk of it never even saw Kellhus.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Akka's intervention at least had some buildup in that we saw how he came to be where he was and why he did what he did.

Divine manipulation of events of such caliber wasn't really established in the first three books so I don't think it really justifies that particular coincidence. That being said, I absolutely love how the setting is a world-sized proxy war waged by different gods.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
(who I suspect are simply extra-dimensional beings bereft of divinity or damnation, ala Age of Decadence. Indeed, this turned out to be 'Age of Decadence: the fantasy book series' as I thought it would)

Heard as much about GO+UC and very much looking forward to pain and revelation to follow.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
You've stepped into the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker.
(Although you could just probably delete your posts.)
Kyl Von Kull
Kyl Von Kull
Oh, but wouldn’t it all be so much worse if the gods were genuinely divine? The consult is another story, but, even after TUC, I’m not sure that they’re in the wrong.

Still, we don’t necessarily need divine intervention when we have dunyain intervention. K is the most terrifying and far-seeing entity in the first trilogy by several orders of magnitude.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Oh yeah, Saubon's surprize arrival was probably a result of the thousandfold thought but it wasn't really telegraphed unless I missed something so it felt cheap to me. Compare that to the buildup to M's assassination in WLW.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Have to say, I always wanted to see a setting where both materialistic cause-and-effect determinism and metaphysical destiny-type determinism not only existed in parallel but competed with one another, so the Hundred (which are the latter) actively manipulating events and the WLW against Kellhus (who relies on the former) was awesome to see.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Do you know when I should read the two short stories?
Kyl Von Kull
Kyl Von Kull
Immediately. Especially The False Sun, which is both relevant and extremely good. Definitely read it before The Unholy Consult.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Thanks, will do!

According to poster on SA forums, Cnauir posited Saubon would notice Conphas' treachery (makes sense as columns would be moving near Caraskand). So Conphas' failing was in presuming Saubon would stay put; he dismissed the effect of faith on "lesser souls". Psychopathy helped him resist Kellhus but blinded him to nuances of others. So it was telegraphed after all.
Lithium Flower
Lithium Flower
Now I know never to underestimate Scott "MothafakkeR" Bakker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom