Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime ️Hollowbody

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does anybody actually enjoy playing games taking places those sad ruined buildings with broken tiles, trash on the ground, concrete rumbles blocking paths and dirt everywhere ?
They all look the same, are never fun to explore, and may be with sewers the most dreadful and boring level sets.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Looks like it tries to be Silent Hill while doing an even worse job at that than Silent Hill 2 and its sequels, 25+ years later.

toughasnails

WAIFU PROTAGONIST and the Realms Deep trailer opening with ASS SHOT tho

Jokes aside, I'm not opposed to Signalis with higher fidelity presentation.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Signalis was such low budget crap.
Holy fuck, how deep in shit we are for people to praise such low-effort crap.

Ash

Arcane
Looks like it tries to be Silent Hill while doing an even worse job at that than Silent Hill 2 and its sequels, 25+ years later.
How do you figure from like 50 seconds of vague gameplay? Silent Hill 2 sucks but for nuanced reasons unable to be deciphered except by playing the game at length and having standards.

e.g ammo is of no concern, enemies aren't a threat at all unlike the first game, town segments have almost zero gameplay relevance unlike the first game, and more.

I watched this trailer and basically have no opinion aside from it looking fairly decent graphically and gameplay looks to be old school survival horror. I wish more can be deduced, but it really cannot. About the only thing that can be said is the camera angles aren't fixed when lock-on aiming, which is most likely decline. If you're gonna have a dynamic camera, than at least have proper manual aiming. Or conversely if you have to have lock-on aiming (which is boring asf) then fix the camera angles so that it is at least tense and scary + hard to know where all nearby enemies are, which makes combat more engaging.

So with that said, yeah I guess I am with you; this looks like decline based on that one major detail. Hope to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
gabel you may get a kick out of this: While trying to explain why most storyfaggots are psuedo-intellectual losers I had this to say:

Silent Hill 1 is probably peak ludo-narrative harmony. The gameplay is cryptic, confusing, oppressive, relatively challenging and engaging, and this fits the story 100% and enhances it. True art.

Silent Hill 2 (the definitive storyfag game), which is often claimed to be the best in the series, is filled to the brim with ludo-narrative dissonance. Gameplay is rather mindless, feels pointless, isn't scary, is boring and undermines any story being told. Should just be a book or movie instead. Overrated garbage. Also it retcons Silent Hill (the place) into the lame personalized hell of someone who committed one morally grey sin, rather than the all-encompassing sin & true evil everyone suffers under in SH1. This game is pathetic! There is only one Silent Hill game.

Last edited:

toughasnails

It's solipsistic anthropocentrism, is what it is. All symbols can only ever point back to human, either to structures of our mind to which is ascribed some degree of ''universality'' or else to contingent social conditions or indeed to personal experience. So when people now read even the first SH they read into it only personal motivations, repressions, guilt etc. All one encounters is a symbol pointing exclusively to character's interiority, not a bridge between in and that which transcends it. Yet we are finite beings in the world which transcends us in all directions and dimensions, we are creative only ever as first responding to what is given us. That's even in the etymology of symbol, that it is a meeting, that it points in two ways, not just towards us. And SH1 did this excellently, there is the interior but what the character experiences can by no means be reduced to interior without residue. Rather there are forces and agents beyond the human, experienced as refracted thru his interiority.

BTW, it's not just SH2 that is guilty of this reduction. Look at the first Alien vs the Prometheus. In the former you've an encounter with something that horrifyingly transcends the human, in the latter all is reduced to human. Taken together with Covenant you've a closed humanistic cycle of human overcoming the human overcoming the human ad infinitum towards more human. It's humans all the way down.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
How do you figure from like 50 seconds of vague gameplay? [...]
The gameplay looks awful, the dynamic cam angles look awful, walls become transparent but are still in the way. All problems solved in the 90s.
And tbh I don't feel the need to explain why a game is shit anymore. I'm old/experienced enough to recognise it when I see it.

Ash

Arcane
It's solipsistic anthropocentrism, is what it is. All symbols can only ever point back to human, either to structures of our mind to which is ascribed some degree of ''universality'' or else to contingent social conditions or indeed to personal experience. So when people now read even the first SH they read into it only personal motivations, repressions, guilt etc. All one encounters is a symbol pointing exclusively to character's interiority, not a bridge between in and that which transcends it. Yet we are finite beings in the world which transcends us in all directions and dimensions, we are creative only ever as first responding to what is given us. That's even in the etymology of symbol, that it is a meeting, that it points in two ways, not just towards us. And SH1 did this excellently, there is the interior but what the character experiences can by no means be reduced to interior without residue. Rather there are forces and agents beyond the human, experienced as refracted thru his interiority.

BTW, it's not just SH2 that is guilty of this reduction. Look at the first Alien vs the Prometheus. In the former you've an encounter with something that horrifyingly transcends the human, in the latter all is reduced to human. Taken together with Covenant you've a closed humanistic cycle of human overcoming the human overcoming the human ad infinitum towards more human. It's humans all the way down.
Silent Hill 1 truly feels like entering another universe or dimension, and something beyond human comprehension. While many other horror games may have somewhat better gameplay like Resident Evil, System Shock 2, Darkwood, Parasite Eve 2 and more (and as a result SH is top ten but not number 1 for me), none quite captured horror like the original Silent Hill. Straight masterpiece in every way. I have endless praise for it, including the gameplay.

90s forever! What a legendary decade.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, I think I prefer SH1 over the others as well. I do appreciate SH2 a lot, but it is telling indeed that nothing has come really close to the uncompromising vision of SH1 besides Toyama's Siren game (albeit in a different way).

Ash

Arcane
Bruh SH1 which I've never played is just generic cult shit seen in all other horror media fam. also the grafix suck. SH2 is actually intellectual and deep, bro.

Cross

Arcane
ss_c621f017c1a950e28d94018b2ae963a06611edcc.1920x1080.jpg

:hmmm:

These indie survival horror games seem to take all the wrong lessons from the classics.

A survival horror game should have real-time inventory/menus to increase the tension, but of course they just mindlessly copy the inventory/menu system from Resident Evil.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Not to mention that the "style" is absolutely soulless, like 95% of UIs nowadays.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Yeah, as I said, it looks awful all around.
:p

Deflowerer

Arcane
There is nothing modern about the UI, it clearly apes some PS1 menus. Namco's menus come in mind, in fact.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
MGS comes to mind, yes.
But that doesn't fit the atmosphere they appear to be going for at all.
As I said, it has no soul, and if it has, it's the wrong one for their game.
These retards are just out of touch and want to cash in on nostalgia.
Period.

cruel

Cipher
Does anybody actually enjoy playing games taking places those sad ruined buildings with broken tiles, trash on the ground, concrete rumbles blocking paths and dirt everywhere ?
They all look the same, are never fun to explore, and may be with sewers the most dreadful and boring level sets.

If you're from Poland or Russia, this actually makes you feel at home.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom