Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

15 Minute Session Gaming Suggestions

ropetight

Savant
As for lets-say-RPGs, for such short sessions I really can't recommend anything else than roguelites and roguelikes.
Since there are already some good fantasy ones in the thread, I will recommend some SF and Finnish themed games.

Grandaddy of them all - small, fast, satisfying game, bit dated, but it works on almost anything.
Strange Adventures in Infinite Space
http://www.infinitespacegames.com/sais/
https://rich.itch.io/strangeadventures

FTL, of course.

If you are in for some quick tactics and kaijus, second game from the makers of FTL, Into the Breach is great fix.

If you have monster-slaying itch, turn-based Doom/Alien Breed roguelike Jupiter Hell is quite nice.

If you are anything of a car buff or just a nostalgic, Art of Rally fits the length of your work pauses perfectly.
For me it hits that "small cars racing arcade" itch of Ignition, Re-Volt, Super Cars 2 and similar games.
Despite deteriorating reflexes and everything, it is kind of relaxing even if you loose.
And it has that uncanny Finnish quality to it.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Short burst sessions?
Ez stuff bro.

For some faster action I like:

minakami

Educated
Druidstone The Secret of the Menhir Forest
I like Druidstone but I don't think it's a fast coffeebreak game. It's more of a puzzle game requiring some trial and error.
Desktop dungeons
Invisible Inc
Into the Breach
Second these recommendations. They're some of my favorite thinky fillers.
I would also recommend Prismata which is basically Starcraft the card game. Playing against the master bot is a great solitaire.

deuxhero

Arcane
Half Minute Hero and its sequel. Both bundled on Steam.

They're action puzzle games where you're given half minute time limits you can pay in game money to refill, but each refill during the same level costs more. You've got to figure out the best ways to earn money and constantly play chicken with the time limit to maximize how much you get done each cycle.

Really though, this sounds like the perfect use for an E-reader.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Card based games like Slay The Spire, Tainted Grail or Beneath Oressa. Or games with little maps, fast gameplay like Into the Breach, Loop Hero even Hades maybe.

Pinball games might be good too. I recommend Zaccaria Pinball if you'd like something different from the usual FX fare.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Druidstone The Secret of the Menhir Forest
I like Druidstone but I don't think it's a fast coffeebreak game. It's more of a puzzle game requiring some trial and error.
Desktop dungeons
Invisible Inc
Into the Breach
Second these recommendations. They're some of my favorite thinky fillers.
I would also recommend Prismata which is basically Starcraft the card game. Playing against the master bot is a great solitaire.

Depots Update: 5 Dec, 2020 (1041 days ago)

:negative:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Play troubleshooter. Yes, it is Korean, and yes, missions can take a very long time to beat, but you can just quit the game and resume from where you were in combat.
Fun game, for Korean shit. Played this for a while before my HDD's death, how's the game's state patch/DLC wise?

Was hoping for a GOG release but it's fabulously optimistic.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Play troubleshooter. Yes, it is Korean, and yes, missions can take a very long time to beat, but you can just quit the game and resume from where you were in combat.
Fun game, for Korean shit. Played this for a while before my HDD's death, how's the game's state patch/DLC wise?

Was hoping for a GOG release but it's fabulously optimistic.
I think some finishing touches on the Crimson Crow DLC, and then they are moving on to their next game.

Modron

Arcane
Maybe The Darkside Detective series would be a good fit here since they are adventure games which are broken down into several bite sized 15-30 minute cases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom