Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A macabre question regarding in-game graveyards.

Turok

Erudite
Divine divinity have on the cementerys.

1eyedking

Erudite
Annie Carlson said:
Also, it's a lot different playing through Fallout 2 for me now - I click on the gravestones and go, "Oh, I worked with that guy!" Heh.
But you didn't work on Fallout 2, right?

Redeye

Arcane
Wasteland!

Remember in Quartz?

"Lester Moore, shot 6 times with a .44, no Less, no more"

and several others

I think one of the graves had a toaster with a plasma coupler in it.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
1eyedking said:
But you didn't work on Fallout 2, right?

Nope. A bit before my time, sir. Scott Everts was the lead artist for SoZ, actually, and goddammit now that I think of it I should have put HIS name on one of those gravestones in tribute! Grr. Definitely will when I mod the damn thing.

This is rather an interesting question though, now that I think about it. It's hard to think of any single thing in games that is more ripe for things like inside jokes, hidden quests, and developers thinking we are so the most subtle pieces of awesome in the history of ever. And damn if I'm not a horrible person for checking every single gravestone for loot first and interesting captions second.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jasede said:
Very important, MANY epitaphs: Betrayal at Krondor.
Yeah, and you always stood a risk of being attacked by a ghost on digging it up. The epitaphs were a big clue as to what would happen.

If the said person died a horrible or shameful death, his or her ghost was certain to attack you. If the epitaph tried too hard to make it look like it is ominous, you knew it was fake and that it was just something to discourage you from digging it.

That game was just extremely intelligent in every way possible.

fastjack

Augur
re

its 'no les, no more' with one 's' i think. Its from a tombstone on the boot hill overlooking tombstone arizona i believe, so even though i think its very clever it is not original for an rpg but a complete copy. there are some other funny ones from that graveyard in arizona if you look it up iirc. Coolest part though is that there was a les moore, that is how he died and that is whats on his tomb.

Carceri

Arcane
Here lies a man who died, nobody mourned, nobody cried, how he lived, how he fared, nobody knows, nobody cared.

Fyz

Scholar
King's Quest 7.
Probably other KQ's had them too, but I can't remember them.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Carceri said:
Here lies a man who died, nobody mourned, nobody cried, how he lived, how he fared, nobody knows, nobody cared.
I remember this one... which game is it from? Fallout 2? Arcanum?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming.

Now I have something to kill my spare time for the next few months or so.

Redeye: I remember the Les Moore one, I suspected that it existed in real life somewhere. Think I saw it in Fallout 2. That would be...Fallout 2 Pop Culture Reference #369, or somesuch.

Annie Carlson: Thanks for your input. As I plan to get the NWN2 "Platinum" edition (or whatever they will call the package with the OC+MotB+SoZ+MoW+Kitchen Sink) I am very interested in seeing this graveyard of yours.

Midwinter: I also just remembered that there's a crypt in Monkey Island 2. So that's three out of four in the series. Fortunately the graveyard is early in the last one, so no Monkey Kombat for me.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sacred has some funny ones, like S. Hammer, last words: "Trust me, I know what I'm doing.."

And "C++ Runtime Error"

I enjoyed reading the Sacred ones the most of all games so far;

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Sledge Hammer was an awesome show.

My "project" has gotten past the planning stages, as I just finished a playthrough of Veil of Darkness. The gravestones there are appropriate (i.e. not funny) but one of them has me a little baffled. Wonder if anyone can make something out of this:

Here lies a man who went to the grave seeking forgiveness - CLS. He gave away nine, five black and four white, but kept one for himself. An act of greed from which he has learned. Put to the spear in the summer of 1690.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Did a quick peek into the graveyard in Legend Of Faerghail. All the gravestones are plot-vital, so I left them alone. There's also a catacombs dungeon further on in the game, but the game is so tedious that I can't be bothered to go there to find out.

Also, the English in this game is hideously bad. It borders on Zero Wing-quality at times.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
*bump*

Update: Been through a few more digital cemetaries. As one of the more...recognizable forum members here decided to change his avatar picture, I thought it would be appropriate to mention one of the epitahs I came across::

A gravestone in Darkseed said:
G. Threepwood. R.I.P.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom