Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Rubber Duck, A Clothes Line and a Clamp...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I started The Longest Journey a week or so back.

Although it seems to drone somewhat excessively during conversations I was generally enjoying it. Everything seemed to be flowing well and although it felt a bit like a chick-flick I was digging it for what it was.

I then got to this Fuse Box. As far as I could tell, the only interactable objects left in my game were a Key on a Subway track and this Fuse Box. Whatever it was that I needed to get the Key it most probably was something retardedly easy that I simply wasn't spotting. Anyway, I had been playing for about 10 hours already, so I put the thing away and resolved to start from April's room again next time I loaded it up and slowly go through every screen in the game to see what laughably obvious pixel I had missed.

So I loaded up the game again a few days ago and spent another 2 hours going through everything again. And I couldn't find shit.

Alas, I hit the walkthrough...

You... what? You... WHAT?

I had missed the Rubber Duck, the Clothes Line, the Gold Ring, the entire Machine Puzzle and then I had to... wait for it (stop me if you've heard this one before...) take the band-aid off the Rubber Duck, blow-up the Rubber Duck, attach the Clamp to the Rubber Duck then attach the Clothes Line to the assembled nonsense in order to "fish" the key off of the subway track...?????? wt holy f?

And then the key glitched and wouldn't work on the Fuse Box and I had to reload and do all the above shit all over again, right from April's room...

And yet I am continuing... just, and only just, because one of the walkthrough's claimed this is the only retarded puzzle.

So what I want to know from you guys (HONESTLY) is...

Who here figured out how to get the key without a walkthrough...?

Dedup

Augur
I had figured out how to construct the item to get the key. Unfortunately it didn't work and I had to check online to find out that I hit a glitch where the game won't let you get the key if you assemble the item in the wrong order. I didn't have a save far enough back so I had start from the beginning. Much cursing was involved. Fortunately I didn't run into any other glitches after that.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ah, yes the infamous rubber duck puzzle. It's most likely a nod to the famous "Rubber Chicken with pulley in the middle" item/puzzle in Monkey Island 1.

The irony is that in Monkey Island this was an obvious parody of moronic adventure items usage (It has a pretty easy puzzle and you get the chicken with pulley as a whole item) while in TLJ it was indeed the definition of moronic adventure items usage.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Pff bunch of losers. Seriously, TLJ didn't have a single difficult puzzle, and this was wasn't even the most obscure in the game.

In before yet another link to that moronic Old Man Murray article.

Who here figured out how to get the key without a walkthrough...?
Me. In fact this puzzle was so utterly unremarkable that when I started reading people bitching about it online, years and years later, I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

Angthoron

Arcane
You guys haven't been in contact with women much have you, it's an everyday thing there.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
At least modern adventure games come with hint systems. If you use hint systems on women, they change the puzzle.

And don't even get me started on returning to an NPC to make them repeat their request. You'll be fortunate if all that happens is the NPC spouting a completely different one the second time around.

polo

Magister
I figured it out, but i remember it was one of those "ok this wont work cause its stupid, but i cant come up with anything else" ideas. When it worked i was kind of WTF game?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The rubber duck puzzle was pretty retarded. It was I believe the most retarded puzzle in the game. There are a couple other nonsensical or semi-sensical ones, but I don't remember them being nearly as in your face dumb.

A user named cat

As ridiculous as these kind of contrived puzzles are, they still beat the shit out of slide puzzles (fucking Still Life), cheap dead ends (Sierra trolling) and timed sequences (BladeRunner).

Here's an amusing list from Gamefaqs of all places: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/2620-the-top-10-dead-ends-in-sierra-games-spoilers

#10: Enter the Leprechaun Cave Unprepared
65652_thumb.jpg

Although there are a number of dead ends in this first installment of Kings Quest, most of them aren't something that can just be stumbled upon and you'd have to actively get yourself into these situations. The main problem, is going into the Leprechaun Cave without all you need to get through. You need: cheese or treasure, a four leaf clover or a fiddle, and a magic mushroom. The cheese and treasure aren't hard to come across and the fiddle and clover are also pretty easy to handle. The main thing is the mushroom. People tend to eat it before it's time or they forget to get it. Unfortunately for the player, once you've entered the cave you can't get out. If you forget a way to get past the rat, and/or the leprechauns, and/or the mushroom you're out. As a bonus dead end you could also fail to get the shield (though it's hard to imagine why) if you do, you can't go back to get it. This makes it one of the most annoying dead ends in the game especially since it's near the end of the game.

#9: Don't get the Jetpack
19803_thumb.jpg

Just about every player of this game has run into this dead end. After entering Ulence flats with a skimmer, you're approached by someone who wants to buy it. You need money, so it seems like a good idea to sell it. If you do, you can continue on through the game unhindered until you reach the Sarien's ship. Suddenly you find yourself unable to move around in space and you can't enter the ship. You can't leave, you can't get out of your ship unless you want to die, but if you don't you'll just sit there. So you go back, tell the buyer "no" and then go into the bar. When you come out, your skimmer is gone. Why? You left the keys in the skimmer! GRR! You go back again, this time you say "no," remember to take the keys, then when you come out he offers the jetpack as well. FINALLY, you have the way through. Most likely having to go through this twice before you get it lands it on this list.

#8: Enter Rasier Without ALL Needed Items
19738_thumb.jpg

This one is only fully applicable to the thief and the magic user, while it's applicable to the fighter, with the fighter you'd pretty much be begging for the dead end. When your time in Shapeir ends you are sent to Rasier to continue the game and finish your adventure. This is where things get unforgiving. For the Magic User, if you don't have the force bolt and/or reversal spells you'll never be able to beat Ad Avis and lose the game at the end. For the thief, if you've used up or don't have the magic rope as the thief in which you either can't get into the castle or you won't be able to reach Khaveen at the end. There's also the possibility that you don't have at least three daggers in which you can't beat Ad Avis. For the fighter, you could drop your shield and then you can't fight Khaveen at the end but you're not really likely to do that. For all three players, if you don't go to the jeweler (even though you are told to do so) then you won't be able to gain aid from the Katta rebel who you need to continue the game.

#7: Reach the Dragon Without the Proper Spells
19793_thumb.jpg

There are actually two spells that are absolutely necessary for victory at this game. These two are the invisibility ointment and the storm brew. Most players like to create every spell that is available so they are rarely missed. However, a mistake often made by first time players is using the ointment too soon. You do this and it's one of the most horrible kinds of dead end ever. It's because you can't win but you're just right there at the end! All you have to do is finish this one last puzzle and you've won! And yet, you can't because you don't have the right spell! The dragon will roast you upon sight. This scenario can play out in many ways due to the spell being temporary. If you dally around too long, can't figure out what to do to the dragon for a time, or go back the way you came, you lose your invisibility and can't get close enough to the dragon to use the storm brew. That's the other thing too. If you forget the storm brew for whatever reason, you can't kill the dragon and you're still stuck. Seeing the end just right there in front of you is so frustrating! Worst of all, you're likely to save right after leaving for Daventry so you will probably be stuck!

#6: Pick up a Second Detonator
25847_thumb.jpg

Exactly why there's more than one detonator in that box is beyond me. However, when you get to Ortega you have to get a thermal detonator in order to find the next location in your quest. On the way back, you find that there's a box with the detonators left behind. If you pick one up which fits the "take anything that isn't nailed down" rule in adventure games, then you are stuck. You can't just drop the detonator and if you try to make the jump across the gap, you'll die! The only way to get rid of the detonator is to go all the way back to the field generator drop the detonator in the hole, then go all the way back again. By the time you've done this, you get back to your ship and discover that you're dead because the planet has broken a fissure under your ship. All it takes is just to say, "Get detonator" and that's it. The game's over for you.

#5: Don't Get the Cheese
25829_thumb.jpg

To count the dead end situations in this game would require several top 10 lists before you would get them all. However, there is one that tends to be more difficult to players than most others and endlessly frustrating. This happens when you have to switch the power of the wands at the end of the game to defeat Mordack. While there are several ways to fail at this, the cheese is the hard one. Who ever heard of cheese being a catalyst for a magical device? Even then who ever heard of having to get captured to win a game? However, to get the cheese you must get captured, you have to notice the highly inconspicuous mouse hole and use a hook that you most likely failed to obtain. Unlike most of the other things that you need to pick up, the cheese doesn't shine so you may not notice it. What makes it worse than about all of the other dead ends, it comes up at the end of the game. Yes, if you fail to save Cedric you'll die here too but isn't it OBVIOUS you should save him?

#4: Fail the Pillar Test
24837_thumb.jpg

Meant for younger players, Eco Quest doesn't have any deaths and wasn't supposed to have any dead ends in it. Unfortunately, there was one that was overlooked. There's a test in the game in which you're supposed to turn a number of pillars. There are instructions that are given to you but if you don't catch them then you can fail the test. After turning the different pillars they will lock into place whether you were correct in the sequence or not. If you lock just ONE of these pillar pieces in the wrong sequence you can't fix the problem. This also means you can't continue the game. You're stuck in the underwater city for good. The fact that this is meant for younger players makes it all the more harsh since they're not likely to understand where they went wrong.

#3: Drink the Antidote
25173_thumb.jpg

This only comes up at the end of the game, but while in the catacombs you can get bitten by venomous rats. Of course, you do have an antidote with you and if you get bit it's only natural that you will seek to use the antidote. The trouble is, if you do, you'll not be able to save Sir Galahad. The game will continue on as normal even if you don't save him. Then you make it to the Holy Grail. The music plays, it seems you've succeeded and then… you're killed! The grail will destroy you for your failure to save each one of the knights. Of course, this will happen no matter which one or ones you fail to save, but the other two you'd pretty much have to deliberately leave them behind. There is no way to accidentally fail to save them so simply using the antidote on yourself like it seems logical to do makes it to the list.

#2: Don't Meet the Domovoi
25879_thumb.jpg

This is one that has probably baffled a great many players. The Domovoi will only show up in the Inn at night around midnight. The problem is: there's no indication that you need to find him. Most players will just instruct the hero to sleep all night and feel there's no trouble. The game will play normally afterwards. You'll even come across the first major problem of the game. If you do though, that means you're stuck in a dead end! The Domovoi will only appear before this happens. If you miss him you're not going to be able to win the game. The trouble is: you can keep playing the game afterwards. There are plenty of things that you can still do, but once you enter the castle and try to save the girl you find you can't help her. Why? It's because the Domovoi is the only one to tell you what you need to do and give you the one item you need. Unfortunately, if you never met the Domovoi then you'll have no clue whatsoever what you were supposed to do. That's the worst part of it. You can't win the game but don't know why.

#1: Don't Win at the Dice Game
24806_thumb.jpg

If there was anything that seems like the game developers were TRYING to force you into a dead end it's this one. This game is one that the rules aren't clearly explained so you don't find out that a straight doesn't count, if you save during the game as most players tend to do, you can't go back to any point during the game or the guy will quit the game, and if you lose the game which is likely since it's gambling, then you don't get the bottle of rum and you don't get a device. Both are needed to finish the game and there's no guarantee that you can get them. In fact, you're more likely NOT to get them seeing that there's no sure way to win them. The worst part of this is that the game continues on until you're in the last leg of the game. This dead end is even worse in that you get one chance and only one chance to win. It doesn't matter how the game ends, you lose, you give up, you are caught cheating, even if you win, your opponent won't play again so the whole game rides on you winning at this gamble. That makes this the number one on this list.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Here's an amusing list from Gamefaqs of all places
I don't agree with most of them, because short of trying to blindly rush through the game there's simply no way anyone would put himself willfully in the situation needed to run into that dead end. KQ1 has "eat the mushroom too early", KQ3 has "use the ointment too early" - WHY would you ever do that? Just to test what they do? and then you keep playing without reloading? Some of the others aren't any better - like KQ5's, where you have to PURPOSEFULLY get yourself captured so you're sent to the cell, after having made sure you're secured a way to get released... and then you just walk out without having gained anything out of this whole circus? You don't pause and think "WHY did I just go through all that?" Camelot's is also weird - the goal of the game is to rescue the knights, you diligently go through rescuing all of them... except one, whom you leave to die, and you don't even try and reload to see if you could've done things differently. Nobody played Sierra games like this back then. This is 2000s thinking. Same with QFG2 - you get a LOT of hints that Raseir is the endgame and that there is no going back, and then you purposefully leave without getting some of the spells? really?

The others are more or less justifiable, except Eco's isn't a dead end, it's a bug, and the entry itself admits it, so it has no place on this list. SQ2 I don't remember if the game actually gives you any subtle warning - there was a similar situation in SQ4, and there, the game does hint that it would be a bad idea. SQ1 jetpack is entirely justified, that was a nasty and unnecessary dead end, especially since, even when you figure out you need it, you don't really have any way of knowing where you missed it, and you have no real reason to refuse to sell the speeder to the guy the first time. QFG4's is an oversight I think, but it's one of the reasons I don't like that game's design. Iceman is just a crap game, but the entry is wrong anyway because you don't need the device at all, and in fact getting max points involves getting the device and then not using it and going the long way round. Still, even this reeks of revisionism. Nobody played a Sierra game back then, saw an annoying minigame, and didn't instantly know that you could win something required for a later puzzle. Hell some of us spent hours on Astro Chicken before we realized you in fact did NOT get anything out of it and the whole thing was just a troll.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Camelot's is also weird - the goal of the game is to rescue the knights, you diligently go through rescuing all of them... except one, whom you leave to die, and you don't even try and reload to see if you could've done things differently.
I think the problem is that you use the item well before it's time to save the knight. So while it's probably obvious you did something wrong, it's 1) super annoying, and 2) you might think you can still finish the game.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I remember giving up on King's Quest VI when I realized the game wouldn't let me go on the "long path" because I had missed something at some point in the game. It's about equally as vicious. The game apparently lets you go on and finish the game, never even telling you you're missing a very huge chunk of the game.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
As I recall, you're not actually locked out of the long path unless you go through the hedges in the isle of the beast without having figured out how to get the spell book, so you have a fairly long time to go back and figure it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom