Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A true Arcanum Sequel: My Wishlist.

Andhaira

Arcane
Arcanum was a flawed game. Ultimately, it's flaws overshadowed it's plus points, and I never finished it as a result, though I always mean to come back to it some day.

However, I like the setting a lot. I feel it has great potential. I would LOVE for a true sequel to be made, though the following should be included in the game for a real CRPG experience:

-Fully turnbased combat. No real time combat option.
-Deep chracter generation that is front loaded. What that means is that you get a lot of points to spend on your character at char gen, to truly make the character you want as well as making him fairly competent. Remeber, char gen represents everything your character has learned thus far in life. It should be an immensely satisfying experience. Arcanum's character gen was NOT satisfying as you only got a few measly points to pump into your stats. The sequel should have around 3X the points to spend at char gen.

-Full party generation. You should be allowed to generate a party of 6 characters. There should be no joinable NPC's in the game. If one of your charcters dies during the game, you will have to live with it or reload. Also, the game should be balanced for 6 charcters. You MUST choose 6 PCs at char gen, you can't choose fewer. So no reatrdedness like making a single character and trying to play the gaem that way, like Gamefaqs faggy singfle PC challenges. It would be too much of a headache to program and would take time away from what is truly important.

-Lots of spells. No more faggy one spell per level, but lots of spells per level in every college. Lots and lots ofutility spells. In fact, most spells should be utility spells useful both in and out of combat. Some spells should only be useful outside of combat. Spells should be balanced with each other, and no broken spells (Harm, I am looking at you) People shoudl turn against you if you use magick in the open in cities, and some would decline giving you quests.

-Lots of technological gadgets and blueprints to make them. Technology should be quite strong, but not as strong as magick. This will be balanced by the fact that people wont hate you for using technology, unlike magick. Furthermore , lots of cool gadgets that have no use in combat whatsoever.

-Battle disciplines/techniques. A PC who is a pure swordsman, with neither magick nor technology should have a chance to stand up to practitioners of each. This is represented by battle disciplines, that allow him to perform cool moves such as tripping opponents in battle, disarming, causing them to become mute (so they can't cast spells),breaking their weapons/gadgets, etc etc.

-Talents/Feats. Lots and lots of them.

-No elves, dwarves or half-elves. All these races should have died out a long time ago. Only Humans, Man-Orc, Ogres and Gnomes should be allowed as races.

-A sandbox game, with no real plot or stroyline. Kind of like Morrowind, but even less of a plot than that.

-Lots of boss fights. Tons of boss fights, mostly against a singular unique creature, like a draogn, or a kraken, etc etc.

-An interactable world like Ultima 7's.

-Diseases like in the Realms of Arkania series.

The above is what I have so far, things I would like to see in an Arcanum sequel. All of these things are doable, IMO.

Post your wishlist, just ensure that it is doable within the time constraints and the budgetary constraints of an AAA developer.

DISCUSS!!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd say the two primary concerns for me would be improved underlying mechanics (the original mechanics were a broken mess) that are open for you to see and easy to grasp, and then improved combat. Either you go fully real time or fully turn-based, trying to do both is silly. Also, combat balance needs to be massively improved.

Though one thing that's a bit of pet thing for me to want is for the presentation of the game to be improved. I really wanted to be impressed by a large and detailed Tarant brought out in gorgeous visuals (or grimy, depending on the locale). Which is kind of sad, since all the details themselves are there, it's the graphics that don't live up to the thing Troika built.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Rd0kt.gif

DraQ

Arcane
I have only four major issues with Arcanum.

First is combat, pretty much all of it, save for the idea of nonlethal combat and buying-APs-for-stamina, is unsalvageable shit. I can't grasp how did this happen after not so hot, but still pretty fun Fallout combat - truly a fuck-up of oblivious proportions.
Arcanum combat desperately needs more diverse ammo. It also needs ammo capacity and great emphasis on reloading - it's mindbogglingly retarded that someone could put flintlocks and revolvers in the same game without even bothering with factoring in ammo capacity and reloads.

My second issue is the interface - it should be scrapped in its entirety and replaced with something fallout-like, with clear and accessible aimed shots menu, good art direction and informative text window. When your NPCs are low-res plastic looking dummies all alike, you fucking NEED text window and colourful descriptions. They aren't mere flavour text to be omitted at will.

My third issue is visuals - the surroundings are very blocky, monotonous and regular making them very lifeless. Buildings restricted to a single floor (plus underground sections) also don't cut it when taking into account the setting.

My fourth issue is built-in karma meter.

I too wish for drastically different sequels to games I didn't like, screw those who liked them.

AndhairaX said:
-No elves, dwarves or half-elves. All these races should have died out a long time ago. Only Humans, Man-Orc, Ogres and Gnomes should be allowed as races.

What about tro-.... never mind.

Pope Amole

Educated
At least now we do know whose alt AndhairaX is.

Sup, Drog.

(yeah, mindlessly mimicking traditions that you don't have any idea about is the way towards becoming true codexian)

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Definately the combat would need to be changed to full TB. I would also like to have more recruitable NPCs.

I don't even remember, what was the maximum party size and how many NPCs could you recruit? It's been a while so I thought it was only a couple at a time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
EvilManagedCare said:
I don't even remember, what was the maximum party size and how many NPCs could you recruit? It's been a while so I thought it was only a couple at a time.
With a charisma of 20 you could have 4 followers, then add 2 more with expert persuasion for a total of 6 (or 7 counting the dog since it doesn't take up a slot). Sit back as the game plays itself.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
My second issue is the interface - it should be scrapped in its entirety and replaced with something fallout-like

Requesting a fallout-like (any of them) interface is an excellent dumbfuck indicator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom