Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

about the models

black francis

Novice
i'm slowly getting into 3d modeling and have some questions regarding how the characters are built. first off, are they a single mesh or built using several objects? Do you completely swap models when changing armor? How high is the polycount?

i guess that's all. thanks for reading and have a nice day.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
black francis said:
i'm slowly getting into 3d modeling and have some questions regarding how the characters are built. first off, are they a single mesh or built using several objects?
Many, many objects.

Do you completely swap models when changing armor?
No, we only hide/unhide needed meshes.

How high is the polycount?
~5000 per fully equipped character (body mesh + 1 armour set + 1 weapon).

black francis

Novice
cool! So all the chars have all the armors and then you just unhide the desired parts?

~5000 per fully equipped character (body mesh + 1 armour set + 1 weapon).

is the body one mesh? It sure looks that way. And 5000 per char, isn't that quite alot?

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
black francis said:
cool! So all the chars have all the armors and then you just unhide the desired parts?
Yep. Hidden polies are not rendered, so they can't affect the framerate.

is the body one mesh? It sure looks that way. And 5000 per char, isn't that quite alot?
Well, it was 5000 when body was a single mesh. Than I decided to cut it into pieces (poor guy, he suffered so much) and added appropriate code. So when the character is equipping something that covers his legs (a toga, for example), the legs disappear. Same applies to other body parts, of course. That lowers the poylcount, so right now only 1500-4000 are rendered, not 5000.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom