Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Accidentally ran into something called 'Valkyria Chronicles'

Kaiserin

Liturgist
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/925/925395p1.html

It's a squad/platoon based tactical game that AFAIK is only on the PS3. I was looking at the demos on the Playstation store, gave this a try, and was pretty pleased. It's pretty hard for me to explain what's good about it, but the video review has some pretty good in gameplay videos. It has a pretty gnarly setting and art direction, lots of detail, seems like it will allow for a lot of fiddling.

Although in the video review he says 'partially stat based,' which is a major misnomer. From what I could tell, it was entirely stat based. You just choose the part of the body to aim at and then tell your character to fire, depending on their stats they will fire a certain number of shots after that at a % to hit.

spacemoose

Erudite
I've always wanted to play as animay nazis on a console

at least it doesn't look like there's any dragons/martial arts opponents

Devil

Scholar
I was looking for the release date (BTW, November 4, 2008) and found this on ING:
http://rr.ps3.ign.com/rrview/ps3/valkyr ... 634/94094/
Valkyria Chronicles
RPG and tanks go together like oil and water
by Megalordbeatdown

October 30, 2008 - This game has been anticipated by Japanese and the US alike, but does it meet our expectations of a great game?

Gameplay: Set in the 1930 in world war 2, this game is basically a "hybrid" of SRPG and gears of war. The setup in a book is a decent idea, but that idea is overshadowed by cheesy animations and mindless gameplay due to the fact that this is turn-based instead of real time. Marcus Fenix would be ashamed.

Graphics: Good character models/designs, but if it's set in a war, it has to feel like you are in a war. The gfx made me thought this was at a kiddy paintball tournament than a world war. The words and cheesy explosions do not help either. At least sega tried.

Sound: The sound of this game is all right, to an extent. The sound effects of guns, tanks, and other weapons are decent as well, but you wished you had an english dub as well as a japanese dub. (Subs much?)

Value: If this game was 39.99, I'd consider buying it. THis is like 20 dollars over the price of consideration compared to bastards like GOW2 and little big planet.

6.0/10
I don't know like you think but this review basicly states: "I hate turnbase and anime - where is my "Gears of Shit"?

Devil

Scholar
Szioul said:
Set in the 1930 in world war 2
What?
Yes, that sentence sounds a bit strange but I think I know what he wanted to say - the world in VC is something between I and the II WW but you can clearly see that the equipment they are using belong to the latter (The Federation tank looks like Panzer III).

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I bought this game on Saturday and was playing it quite much for the past 2 day, those are my thoughts.

Normally this game should have been realesed November 4, 2008 in Europe... of course when saying Europe they mean the West E., the Center a.k.a. East E. has to wait till 20th - fuck them, I went to MediaMarkt (they have this shit earlier then the rest) but there is one problem, it costed 219zł = 75$... what can I say, I'm a sucker when it comes to words like: anime, turn-based, tactical squad combat.

I will try to describe this game in simple word (because I don't have the needed knowledge to describe what is a WRPG or a SRPG) - "JA2 goes to Japan and meets a JRPG".

Yes, I know what you will say: JRPG, meh... - but wait, I will show you a certain graph describing how "close" VC is to JA2 and JRPG:

JA2 <-----> Valkyria Chronicles <------------------------------> JRPG

I wanted to write something concrete about this game but after thinking this through there is to fucking much of it:
- About the Demo - it only shows you the very basics, if you play the whole game you will see what I mean
- From a group of 50 soldiers you pick you squad of 20, on the field you can have a different numbers of them (depending on the mission) - from 2 to 10 (your tank included)
- You can upgrade your weapons, tank, uniforms or train your units with gaind EXP.
- There are 5 soldier classes:
* SCOUTS - capable of covering a lot of ground, not to powerful (but good enough to flank the enemy and do the job)
* SHOCKTROOPERS - they only have the half of Scouts "covering" distance, high power, good armour (your basic close range units)
* SNIPERS - 1/4 of Scouts "covering" distance, long range - headshot=death (easies to kill)
* LANCERS - "covering" distance the same as a Shoocktrooper (Panzerfaust)
* ENGINEERS - "covering" distance 3/4 of Scouts (Ammo, Repair: Tank, sandbags, watch tower, Disarming mines)
- at some point Scouts/Engineers rifles can be upgraded in 3 ways: Fire power, accuracy, effect - as I am a simple man who believes that not only tactics win wars but also brute force I almost always go for POWER.
Sniper rifles and Lances also have this "branching".
- What is effect? Something you get thanks to upgrading weapons, when attacking your enemy it usualy looks like this - you attack, then he retaliats - when is someone is shoot by you your attack bestows an effect on him (lower attack... bla,bla,bla... you know the drill)
- There are (we have them and the enemy also) Units: Soldiers, Tanks - who give us aditional Command Points, killing them means less "moves"
- Units can be used multiple times in a round - of course there is a draw back:
* there covering distance will be (everytime you use them) 1/4 less then it was at MAX
* Lancers have 3 shots, if they use them all after a round they get automaticly 1, you can always resupply them with the Engineer
- If your units health goes down to zero it becomes wounded and must be reached by an other member within 3 round or it dies - it also dies if the enemy reaches that unit first.
A good way to prevent players from rushing with the Scouts if I think so myself.
- Every person has it's perks, the so called Special Abilities: Personal, Battle and Orders - there are good ones and bad ones (there are seriously drawbacks - Thank you God)

If they die it's over - they will get a beautiful grave on the cemetery that you can visit between the missions - FUCK YEAH! C&C bitches!

Conclusion:
This game was worth every fucking penny I paid for it, if you have a PS3 get it... I FUCKING DARE YOU! The share uniqueness of this game makes worth getting it.

One more thing, VC is quite well balanced when it comes to soldier classes - each class is needed.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I've been having a lot of fun with it since I picked it up the other day. The combat felt a little VATS-ey but on the whole I'd say it's probably worth a rental at least.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
This game is also quite long, I just hit Chapter 11 and it looks like I'm stil far from half-mark. Also, the battles became quit long - I wasted today 3 and a half hour and played only one skirmish and one mission.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I am really enjoying it, but there is one thing that bothers me - difficulty, so far it's been somewhat too easy.
I was just playing that level where Emperor attack you on a giant tank and it was the first time i was defeated. Hope it will get harder as game goes on.

spacemoose

Erudite
so its mission based sort of like silent storm?

are there any branches to the story, or is it pretty much "win mission, move on to the next one"

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game gets harder, but never impossible.

I have lost a few times, but it was mostly becaus i did not pay attention and i did something stupid.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
WhiskeyWolf said:
Hell will freeze faster.

Or more likely, a PS3 emulator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom