Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adventure play in the other genres

Hello.

As i believe that the best works in humanity come when someone's strong enough to reunite differences, like a revolutionary rallies people of different classes, a writer recombines styles, and a game designer in the 90's inserts puzzles in a, say, platform game like Shadow of the Beast or in an RPG like Fallout and Deus ex,

Also, as i believe it's strange that a videogame can't be "an adventure", which is a lingo only madmen can understand and the normies would think us dumb and they do! We're currently considered like serial killers at best, thank you consoles and market experts for GTA and call of duty (Uncharted tries to insert adventure bits to pick us up),

And finally seen as i'm not a big fan of rpgs though i played many back in the days, before and after the apocalypse that was Doom (i was already a big boy), and, like many here i bet, i'm one of those old time players who, when they play, say, an RTS, they become RTS hardcores, but they remain Sierra games lovers and Flight sim fans.

I ask

Since i simply can't sift through millions of posts to find it, can you guys list the main RPG's out there (indie or not), and after a colon, list the adventure bits that are in them?

For example, what adventure bits are there in Wasteland 2 and Age of Decadence?

What are the adventure bits?
First, verbs to inspect the world;
second, words that describe the environment, not dialogue;
third, puzzles: a moment in the game that requires an intelligent action to get a better result in a quest, including waiting for nighttime to find a needed person, or planting that damn recorder in somebody's desk, or guessing the computer access code by looking at a picture nearby. Anything like that is a puzzle.

oh and plz don't just blurb "yeah there's no adventure in whatever game", please consider the given game 3 times before posting. Puzzles are often hidden in fluid action bits.

Last edited:
Thank you.

It's odd, tho, those posts keep eluding the harder, more arrogant, and for that best questions.

First of all i believe Fallout and Deus Ex had puzzles, but strangely today they're considered nazi-pure-rpg, so that when someone asks for a wider spectrum game in a forum, they reply like you're asking where to buy gay coke
As a consequence, i believe many of the 90's rpgs and best games had puzzles, so something has been lost with today's "sectarian" and immature market, including indie.
and third they keep telling "go play the adventures". The most important point is that, very arguably, every game ("being an adventure" but that's just word play) should have puzzles, because they don't belong to a genre, no, that's the effect of contemporary mainstream brainwashing, they are human interaction. A character without the ability to pick up objects is a torso. Remember Ultima games, where every object was takeable. The point is then that games today are not "of separate genres", like everybody thinks is fine because it's its genre, but

they are mutilated products.

So i believe that maybe the "impulse" that makes one go oh you want that thing? so you go play «insert genre» could be defined as brain retardation they surgically did to us.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom