Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any Dark Fantasy adventure games?

Hey --

I was wondering:

Are there any good Dark Fantasy adventure games out there? By Dark Fantasy, I mean similar in style/tone/spirit to Conan the Cimmerian (either the original stories or the original movie), or the Warhammer Fantasy Gotrek & Felix series. Basically, just grimdark high fantasy, but in an adventure game?

V_K

Arcane
Well, there was that obscure Goth thingie called Mortalus. I don't remember if it was any good though.
31879755zf5.jpg

iqzulk

Augur
Well, there was that obscure Goth thingie called Mortalus. I don't remember if it was any good though.
Oh my. It wasn't. It so wasn't, it wasn't even funny, that's how much it wasn't.
I did actually complete that piece of shit. Honestly.
Also, QTEs, QTEs everywhere (actually, Cyberia-ish rail-shooter sequences, but, my God, are they infuriating here, also, worst fighting minigame ever to grace videogaming).

As for OP's request. Well, Tlon: A Misty Story (it's completely unlike Conan though, being much more akin to Witcher, although much more grimdark-ish) is ridiculously moody, but I only ever watched the youtube playthrough, so, in theory, the game itself might end up being pretty unplayable in case you decide to tackle it yourself. I know for a fact, that you'll need a special savegame file in order to get past a gamebreaking bug near the end of the game.

iqzulk

Augur
But I seem to remember they were skippable, weren't they?
They actually were, yes. I don't remember, just why it was exactly that I didn't ever do it though (and I definitely knew about that possibility back then).

V_K

Arcane
Daemonica probably qualifies, though it's a very uneven game.
737665-926011_20060605_004.jpg

And come to think of it Daedalic's TDE adventures were pretty dark. Maybe not grimdark-dark, but they have a pretty nice sense of dread to them.

Shadow of the Comet?

Not exactly dark fantasy (set in early 20th century Earth), but does a good job of evoking the fantastical and incomprehensible horror that characterized Lovecraft's work.
Doesn't hurt that it's also a pretty good game in its own right.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you loosely define 'good' i guess, Eternal Darkness on the gamecube (aka dolphin emulator) is dark fantasy.
Loosely because to see the 'real' ending you have to play 3 times you sucker.

Waxworks obviously.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Don't forget Elvira and Elvira II. Both gothic horror blobbers with big tit Elvira in a star role.

image_001.png

And then we got Giger's nightmare stuff in the adventure game Dark Seed.

239321-dark-seed-dos-front-cover.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom