Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Any upcoming games that suck but you still want them to succeed

agris

Arcane
Patron
Lady Error that’s fair, we all have our own thresholds. I also despise anime, yet enjoy the movie Akira and like the roguelike Star Renegades. There’s degrees of deviation we all allow ourselves within the confines of our “taste”.

I join luj1 in his disappointment with Larian because some of the core strengths of the IE games - BGs in particular - are not strengths of Larian. More than that, they are anti-skills to what Larian has demonstrated.

Larian has not demonstrated an ability to implement a hand crafted, structured and narratively-compelling loot system. Nor have they shown a desire to restrict the player in what they can do in regards to mechanics. Like AD&D 2e did, which drove interesting chardev / itemization considerations in the BGs.

And to be honest I haven’t played DOS1 enough to know if they can really craft combat encounters ala BG1/2 set pieces, or if they phone it in with zergs like Sawyer and Avellone in IWD and PST.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Nor have they shown a desire to restrict the player in what they can do in regards to mechanics. Like AD&D 2e did, which drove interesting chardev / itemization considerations in the BGs.
I do not understand why you want more restrictions to the mechanics. One of the strengths of the D:OS system is that you can come up with creative new solutions to problems.

And to be honest I haven’t played DOS1 enough
Sounds like you didn't play D:OS 2 at all. I think you would like it more than the first one, if aesthetics are your main concern regarding Larian RPG's. Some of the fights and encounters in D:OS 2 are very memorable.

BruceVC

Magister
Starfield will be a 6/10 game at best, with mods.

Here's the Starfield info summary from Todd Howard interview.

Original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9AAnV59ddE
  • Says in Starfield the star systems will have levels attached to them.
  • Says you won't be stranded out in space with no fuel. It's a "fun-killer". Maybe for a hardcore survival mode in the future.
  • Different space suits will have buffs to gases/toxicity/temperature. Will be useful depending on what planet you travel to
  • Robot enemies are confirmed.
  • Not putting Starfield on PS5 helps with focus. Says they've always primarily focused on Xbox when it came to consoles.
  • They went into development focused on Xbox so the exclusivity isn't abnormal for them. Xbox brought Bethesda to consoles with Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
  • Xbox top engineers are helping with Starfield development on Series X/S
  • Delaying Starfield was tough but the right thing to do. They wanted to say they could get it done (given the amount of work left and the amount of time remaining) but it was too much risk involved to the team, the game, the fans and Xbox
  • Says there's added pressure to deliver for everybody with Starfield since they are a platform seller now. Making "THE GAME"
  • Says he prefers console to PC cause hes in front of a PC all day at work
  • The world is generated in tiles, like usual Bethesda games. They made these tiles look like realistic landscapes, put them together, and then wrap them around a planet.
  • Todd says they could do way more than 1000 planets but decided to set a limit due to the detail of naming them and having a distinct feeling about each one.
    Todd specifically mentions a "Level 40 System" so different systems will be of varying difficulty.
  • The tone is that space travel should feel dangerous and that they have dialed this back and forth during development. Can possibly mine planets for fuel?
  • "They get into environmental things" on planets. Space suits, buffs, gasses, toxicity, temperature.
  • There are robots. Robots are mostly utility robots.
  • Starfield is a deeply human world.
  • Other ships DO come and go from the starports.
  • You can jump into a system and see a freighter, other ships can contact you.
  • Orbits are done in real time.
  • Planets are fully realized.
  • Says he likes the player to feel alone, far from anyone on a planet.
  • "I can get my ship blast off and land there and build myself a home"
  • Says he loves companions and romance systems in games and Starfield will have 4 romance options that are more complex than Fallout 4.
I cant wait for Starfield, its got the potential to be the greatest Sci-Fi RPG ever released. I am particularly excited about all the mods that will be created to add additional content on the hundreds of planets. I can see the modding community having a field day. Planets are perfect places for the talented and industrious modding community to enhance the game :salute:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I still don't know what is supposedly so horrible about the D:OS games.
Agreed. I have only played D:OS2 and the combat was strategic and always fun especially in the more difficult and complex battles. I enjoyed how my party members each contributed effectively in combat
Tip of the iceberg

Cheese vendor was easily the best part of the game for me. Not even joking (much).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
am particularly excited about all the mods that will be created to add additional content on the hundreds of planets. I can see the modding community having a field day.
Yeeeeah, I don't know about that.
If the Skyrim modding community gets their hands on it...
Slaanesh would be proud, let's put it that way.

eli

Learned
wayward realms

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom