Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anybody else playing Geneforge 5?

Baldr

Novice
I've had the misfortune of having a Macbook at college the last couple years, but this holiday season I lucked out with the release of Geneforge 5, which is mac-only until the PC version comes out in a few months. I've played through Geneforge 2,3 and 4, so I think I trust Jeff Vogel enough to pay for the full game pretty soon.

What I've gathered from the demo so far:

-The graphics are better, though still piss-poor in absolute terms. Oblivion w/ Gunz!!11one it is not.

-It retains the "Rebellion" classes from Geneforge 4, but since I always play a Shaper I just went with Lifecrafter. You can be a servile if that's your thing.

-Beginning of the plot is fairly typical. On the plus side, you're in the Shaper mainland rather than Bumfuck, Nowhere.

-Five factions instead of the lackluster 2-3 in the last 2 games in the series.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nope. I still have to get around to playing the second. I loved the first one though.

Micmu

Magister
Then you should "bother" with them. :P
Geneforge > Avernum. Go play with Shaper for party-play.

Antagonist

Liturgist
I never thought the day would come but I can't play a Jeff Vogel game due to technical reasons. I've read somewhere that he uses now OpenGL (at least partly) for rendering and that causes a black screen of death on my MacBook, probably due to shitty Apple drivers. Since the updated version doesn't work as well I either have to hope that it will work on my new MacBook Pro (once it arrives, damn slow university courier service) or I'll have to patiently wait until the Windows version arrives.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. Despite some misgivings about the direction the series took with 3 and 4 I still feel more entertained by Geneforge than by 95 percent of the current tripe A game market.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I finished Avernum 3 this year. I play 1 Vogel game a year and I liked them so far. I want to finish the Avernum series first, and then I'll plunge into Geneforge (loved the first part, but I really want to explore more of the Avernum setting).

Baldr

Novice
Geneforge is much better than Avernum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom