Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Anyone else think the Matthias voice actor was too good for the game?

I don't mean that in the sense of 'game sux, he could do better' - I've loved the fuck out of this game, and it's had me addicted to crpg gaming in a way that no game has since...well...the last era in which a company helmed by Fargo made crpgs. What I mean is that the quality of the voice-acting was writing cheques that the characterisation couldn't cash.

I know a lot of folk have the opposite opinion. He certainly wasn't a David Warner character, where it doesn't matter what lines he's saying because you could listen to the guy's delivery all day. But that part was on track, for me - an overly cool 'love to hate' villain wouldn't have suited the kind of cult that the guardians and children of the citadel are portrayed as, and I liked the whole 'low charisma, I'm just a reasonable guy doing what's reasonable, see how reasonable I am?'.

I was completely satisfied with him as a villain all the way through to the Cochise takeover...when the voice actor suddenly stepped up about 10 notches, creating an image of a far more complex villain. He absolutely nailed the delivery for 'I have so many plans. I have so many plans...' Not meglomania - which is how most actors would have done it - but oozing an honest desire to lift the world from darkness, with himself as dictator not out of ego, but because someone has to step up and do the job.

But of course, we only get the barest outline of that in the characterisation itself. It's certainly consistent with the game's writing that Matthias could be a complex character - not just a tragic antagonist, but someone several steps more complex than Fallout's Master, who may have agonised over the killing but knew that it had to be done. But there's nothing in the game that creates that - it's just fanwank between the lines, assisted by the actor outdoing the script for those final lines.

GloomFrost

Arcane
No I would not say that voice actor was too good. Its just there was not nearly enough of Matthis in the game. Inxile had to put a lot more dialogues with him. I mean he is actually 200 years old. How awesome would that be if he started telling about what was it like just after the war and you could agree or disagree with him and use smart ass/kiss ass skills to change his mind. The last quarter of the game is very rushed and feels unfinished in general. Thats why when I was allowed to join him I thought WOW this is soo cool. Finally I will be able to ask him a lot of questions... But we know that it just led to a very disappointing ending. Still having said that his voice over is one of the best things about Wasteland 2. '...and what a future it will be!'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom