Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD June Update

likaq

Arcane
A new month, and a new update about AoD! Sorry for the late post, but we've been working hard to show you something you have been waiting to see for quite some time... In this past month, we've been working hard on the civil AI and animations. Merchants selling their goods, people walking around, interacting with each other, workers carrying crates and other stuff. Nick created the system needed for this and now we are creating distinct civil AIs, like merchants, workers, tavern patrons, blacksmiths, beggars, librarians, miners, etc. We are still working on them, right now we don't have many, but now that the basic system is down we'll continue creating more in the following month. You will also hear some great music from a new composer that is working with us. He really nailed the style and mood we want for AoD, and we are very happy to have him on board.

http://youtu.be/svEzr3zIAj8?hd=1

Also, our great 2D artist is working on revamping the interface. The goal is to make an interface with a distinct style, that shows more of the gameworld, and that works better with multiple resolutions and aspect rations, plus some customization options. It's still a work in progress, but here are some screens that shows the style we are aiming for. Any opinions and suggestions are welcomed!

DISCLAIMER: The GUI is a photoshop mock-up on top of real game screens. We haven't implemented it yet.

Now, on the quest front, we have all quests for Teron implemented. We are working hard right now on checking all the variables and possible situations that might arise due to player actions, and having the game world react to them (and to avoid bugs and quests breaking). For example, I can foresee some players trying to kill everyone in town, and the gameworld should react logically to that. Truth be told, sometimes we wish we were developing a linear platformer

That would all for this month. I hope you liked the video and screens, and looking forward to your comments!

All I want for Christmas ( 2011 ) is AoD ( full game ).

:love:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
likaq said:
civil AI and animations

This is some good shit. I'm getting a strong city management civvie animations vibe from this. What happens if they're attacked or want to attack, are the things they're carrying actual goods or just filler animations for npcs?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
For example, I can foresee some players trying to kill everyone in town, and the gameworld should react logically to that.
This is rather simple, as the logical game world reaction to that is killing the player character (or rather attempting to kill).
More interesting is: will game mechanics allow to create a character who can deal with that problem and literary slaughter everyone. That would be cool, although completely unrealistic and personally I'm kind of torn which one of these (cool vs. realistic) I would prefer.

Esquilax

Arcane
Based on the kind of setting we've got in AoD (down-to-earth, low magic) and the fact that even the baddest of motherfuckers have huge problems taking on more than three trained opponents, I'm thinking that you'll probably get curbstomped if you decide to go postal and start killing everybody. That shit is bad for business, and I'm sure that all the factions would see you as a problem that needs to be dealt with.

Teepo

Scholar
In real life, running like a motherfucker is frequently the most intelligent option.

Esquilax

Arcane
They did at least say that the demo would be out before November. Hopefully we'll get the release date when the demo comes out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom