Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum & FRAPS need help

okashii

Novice
Can anyone explain to me how to use fraps in Arcanum to make a gameplay movie?

I have downloaded the program and read the FAQ but Im totally clueless >_<

when I press the F9 button in game to start recording nothing happens

please help, I was raised in the pits so I have -6 inteligence and Im all out of intelect potions

:cry:

hiver

Try changing the button to some other, maybe a game has something on F9 so it conflicts.

If its a trial version then youll only get 30 seconds of a movie.

okashii

Novice
hmm I wont manage to speedrun arcanum in 30s, bye bye Mr. Fraps

(I did check the hotkeys and there was nothing under F9)

anyone know any other gameplay recording programs? (except gamecam I dont have windows XP)

I just need to find one that works with Arcanum

thanks in advance for any info

hiver

You dont have XP? Im pretty sure fraps is made to run on XP so that might be a reason.
Cant remember any other right now.

Zuluf

Scholar
Suggestions: GameOSD, Sony Vegas with capture plug-ins, some video card software which most of us never bother to wipe the dust off but can contain valuable kits and archives

What OS do you have?

Zeus

Cipher
Can you take screenshots?

FRAPS has trouble capturing 2D games. For quite a few, including UnReal World RPG, I was forced to use a standard screen capture program. Of course, those aren't gonna help you capture a movie.

If you check whether or not FRAPS can do Arcanum screenshots, it'll save you a lot of time and headaches trying to get video capture to work.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
1: Why would you want to record a video of Arcanum?

2: Why would you want to use FRAPS?

3: Why are you not using Camtasia?

4: Why are you not posting this in General Help?

okashii

Novice
Andyman Messiah:

1. Because Im working on a speedrun of the 081004version (its great fun)

2. Because its the only program I know that can make gameplay movies (now after doing some search I know there many others)

3. Because I dont know what it is

4. Because Im new to the forum and I thought its partially game related
(There is a General Help Thread? Cool, can you recommend me a good doctor?)

Zuluf:

I have Windows 2000

Lain_13:

I did try Taksi but it doesn't seem to work (although there is a high probability that Im doing something wrong)

Zeus:

Thanks for the suggestion but since FRAPS trial version only allows 30s of a movie it wont of much use anyway, but I will keep your idea in mind for other programs

thanks for all the suggestions guys

DaveO

Erudite
All of the recording programs I know will require money to make full use out of. Fraps has a disadvantage of taking CPU cycles that can cause a recording to stutter. I've switched to a separate program for game video recording purposes, but you will likely need multiple recording programs for coverage. I've yet to find one that does it all.

I think I'll fill in answers to the big brown horse's questions

1: Why would you want to record a video of Arcanum?
Probably wants to upload it to YouTube

2: Why would you want to use FRAPS?
It's the most well-known(but not necessarily the best) video game recording program

3: Why are you not using Camtasia?
Did not do a Google search for 'video game recorders'?

4: Why are you not posting this in General Help?
Saw all the discussions about Arcanum here, and thought it would be okay to post

CreamyBlood

Arcane
okashii said:
I have Windows 2000

Microsoft dropped W2000 support back in July 2007. That shouldn't affect your game but the newer versions of these capturing programs might have dependencies that your OS no longer supports.

So try finding older versions of FRAPS or Camtasia.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Post a link to you Arcanum speedrun here, when you record and finish it :)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Zuluf said:
okashii don't mind Andyman, he's a resident troll around here, and a failed one at that.
LITHUANIAN HITMEN WILL FIND YOU AND BEAT YOU TO A PULP WITH YOUR OWN FATHER'S PENIS, ZULUF!!

Licaon_Kter

Augur
okashii said:
hmm I wont manage to speedrun arcanum in 30s, bye bye Mr. Fraps

(I did check the hotkeys and there was nothing under F9)

anyone know any other gameplay recording programs? (except gamecam I dont have windows XP)

I just need to find one that works with Arcanum

thanks in advance for any info
www.wegame.com

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom