Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire and Redguard worth a shit

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
no, you should wait for 11-11-11

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Battlespire is kind of interesting. Sort of a buggy and unpolished version of Ultima Underworld than never quite comes together. I haven't ever finished it, but it's worth torrenting and checking out. Brutally difficult though, as health and mana can only be recovered through FPS style powerups which are oh so rare.

I haven't played Redguard but my understanding is that it's a buggy and unpolished version of Tomb Raider that never quite comes together. There are some more traditional adventure game elements to it than TR, though.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Battlespire was a p. nice and p. challenging dungeon crawl with some great dungeons. Recommended.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoyed Battlespire, good crawler. Always wanted to try Redguard but I read it's a bitch to get running on XP (not to mention Win7 or Vista). Someone really has to develop Win98Box

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
ScottishMartialArts said:
Battlespire is kind of interesting. Sort of a buggy and unpolished version of Ultima Underworld
Huh? don't remember a single bug in Battlespire. In fact it was quite a shocker to be playing a Bethesda game that wasn't terminally bugged even after a half dozen patches. I agree that it doesn't really come together the way UW did, but it's a very nice game in its own right, provided you don't try to compare it to Daggerfall. It's a good single dungeon crawl thanks to excellent dungeon design, a robust character system (stripped down from DF, but still good) and the best and most complex character creation system I've seen in a solo RPG. While it's hard to remember this today, it was also absolutely stunning graphically when it came out. It's also fun to compare it to Oblivion, which shares many of the same plot premises (Dagon, daedric lore, and so on) and see just how low Bethesda have sunk.

Brutally difficult though
:incline: I remember playing it years after it came out, when the decline in difficulty had already set, opening a door in the starting room and being raped by a dremora.

I haven't played Redguard but my understanding is that it's a buggy and unpolished version of Tomb Raider
Huh? again, this is Bethesda's second most polished game (it's got a couple more glitches than Battlespire, but otherwise clean). It's also so much better than TR it's not even funny. Open world for one, with a large amount of nonlinearity in the MQ and exploration rewarded with extra goodies, quite nicely balanced at the halfway point between action and adventure (as opposed to TR, which leaned heavily towards action), and a badass nigger as a protagonist. Pretty good soundtrack too (though I prefer Battlespire's; that one was awesome).

JarlFrank said:
Always wanted to try Redguard but I read it's a bitch to get running on XP (not to mention Win7 or Vista). Someone really has to develop Win98Box
Redguard's a pure DOS game actually, only the installer is Windows (and that works under XP, probably under 7 too). You just need a DOSBox with Glide support to fully enjoy the engine in all its glory. Get this one (best DOSBox SVN build around). Only problem with Redguard under DB is that it needs a MONSTER PC to run well. Also, don't go over 1024x768 res, as higher ones will mess up some things (such as the very nice loading screens)

Luzur said:
are you selling or just wanting to try?
Leave something to the others you greedy bastard :lol:

Luzur

Good Sir
nah, i already have them so i dont need them anymore.

although some extras can come in handy...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For me personally Battlespire is the best TES game, great atmosphere and soundtrack, interesting story and challenging combat made it more fun then any other Bethesda game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom