Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there any good tutorials for doing sprite art?

Elzair

Cipher
I have decided to develop a game in the style of the early Ultimas. Are there any good resources out there for doing that kind of pixel art? I am looking for stuff like this:

Ultima_5_-_Tiles.png

Elzair

Cipher
I know there are some good tutorials out there, but they mostly seem to be for weaboo stuff.

gromit

Arcane
What is it you're looking for? There are very few bits of advice which apply across the board in pixel art, that I know of, and it's all basic stuff. Those sprites aren't exactly rife with stylistic flourish, either, nor do they leave room for any.

When you get down to sizes like that (and palette sizes, if you're going for that, too) it's really more about having a general idea in mind, going at it, and making dozens of little, careful compromises.

I can suggest the obvious: constantly zooming back to fullsize and saying "does this look like ___?" Run stuff by your friends, too, because you already know what everything in the image is "supposed" to be, while it may actually look like something completely different. It sucks when you draw a super-awesome death knight of doom, and your friends and lovers ask why you drew a bunny in a top hat, but it's better than letting it stay like that.

Castanova

Prophet
Are you any good as a regular artist? If not, I'd start with that.

Assuming you have some level of regular art skill, I'd just collect pixel art examples like the one you're presenting and take very strong inspiration from them. If you want to draw grass, look how it's drawn in Ultima IV or whatever and just copy the technique. There's no, like, special technique for pixel art that once learned will allow you to draw anything. It's more about volume than artistic quality (i.e., both in volume of your experience and volume of tiles you're producing).

I would suggest doing them on your own, or finding someone on the Codex who feels like participating in a game in a way that won't demand much of their time for potentially high benefit.

Keep us updated on the project though, Elzair.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
A good tip for doing sprite art is that the challenge increases as you increase the resolution/color depth. That's why I - as a non-artist - paint 16x16 tiles, using a 16 color palette. Remember that you can scale up pixel art without loss of quality. That's what I do, I scale up my 16x16 art to 32x32.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom